What are your favorite shots in a movie?

John

7 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Is this shot actually in the movie, or a publicity still? Not doubting it's there, just can't remember it specifically.

I believe it’s seen just before they’re mowed down by the water but maybe not. It’s just an image that has always stuck with me. Maybe it is just a publicity photo!

Yes, many great scenes from Raiders. I've always loved this one in particular:

rotla base.jpg

One of the most eerie and awe-inspiring shots ever in a movie. The VFX may be somewhat dated, but the atmosphere of the Ark ceremony sequence is still so terrifying.

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

2176.jpg?w=1200&h=

When I was 20, I'd have thought "Wow, that's REALLY cool!"

Now I just think "I hope that guy's wearing earplugs"

3 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

When I was 20, I'd have thought "Wow, that's REALLY cool!"

Now I just think "I hope that guy's wearing earplugs"

And sunscreen!

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

jones_c-720x306.jpg

1 hour ago, Richard said:

A beautiful, and beautifully framed shot. Dougie Slocome did everyone proud, that day.

And it's impossible to look at that pic and not hear William's pitch perfect scoring of the scene.

18 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

@Marian Schedenig

Love that shot from Tarantino. It’s the closest he ever got to emulating Leone. 

The whole film screams Leone - more so than either of Tarantino's actual Westerns.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Is that from BLOW OUT?

Dressed to Kill. But I posted Blow Out above.

Here's a few more, from two of my favourite films:

1477407_617447938319647_25558703_n-e1387

ragazzaponte18.gif

big_1409619896_1382556876_image.jpg

On 4/23/2018 at 12:45 PM, Nick1066 said:

But I cheated a bit, I had a bunch of ideas of top shots, but I just ended up posting shots based more on their poignancy and meaning to me, and not so much on the cinematography. Just way, way too many of the latter to choose from for that.

The former is always more relevant to me in cinema. I like a cool looking still as much as anybody but I always feel like that's more photography appreciation. To me a great movie shot is what it means in context with the story, what shots come before and after, how the camera's moving, what the people are doing in the frame, what kind of sound and music are behind it, and how lighting and composition work in concert with all of that. Whether it lasts 2 seconds or 10 minutes, there are a lot of things that can make any given shot valuable.

Some of the finest shots in movies are very plain things if you try to hang them on the wall. Movies are alive!

First film I thought of when I saw the thread!

Awesome thread, by the way.  I could never possibly pick my #1 favorite shot of all time (I grow tired of ranking things anyway), but I love what the thread turned into instead: Just sharing a bunch of really cool shots.  Thumbs up!

Not such a classic film as any of the above, but ...

giphy.gif

... a friend and I used to work in a cinema when this came out, and  - towards the end of its run, when early afternoon showings might have nobody in - we'd go and sit a few feet from the screen for this shot.

mr fox waterfall.jpg

There are many scenes in Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox where I just want to hit pause and stare at the sheer wonder and artistry of each frame. In a movie filled with superb imagery, this is my favorite shot. A melancholy scene where Mr. Fox is alone in the sewers, with a waterfall in the background giving the appearance of the character standing in rain.