What are your favorite shots in a movie?

John

3 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

The film is called Princess O'Rourke. You won't be disappointed.

I'm sure I won't be. Love her in Captain Blood and Robin Hood!

8 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

dead-poets.jpg

He looks like James Horner in this shot.

We found the perfect actor to play him in the biopic.

On 4/27/2018 at 2:25 PM, Margo Channing said:

unnamed (3).png

She's beautiful. In an old fashioned kind of way. But I'm sure we can make her more today.

@Batman's Diet Coke Your first shot above reminds me what a master Spielberg is with bluish-white backlighting effects that create a dramatic aura of otherworldliness around the figures. There are so many examples of this, but Jaws is a great one:

jaws-chrissie.jpg

It really emphasizes the idea of the "mysterious depths" while also carving out the figure as the target of a monster's meal.

Another really impactful one is in Close Encounters:

close-encounters.jpg

It's like a reverse spotlight on the characters, highlighting them while still preserving some of their mystery by keeping their fronts largely in darkness.

Then of course, there's this fantastic one from E.T.:

et-and-elliot-meet.jpg

Again, it highlights an alien while retaining its mystery, but the thing I really love about this shot is that E.T. visually emerges from a place that is so brightly lit as to seem unreal and almost based in the imagination. There are a few other similar visual cues in the film - when Elliot is looking out the kitchen window, the steam from the hot running water rising up in front of his face like thought bubbles through which he hopes to see his alien. Then of course, there's the finale, when E.T. says "I'll be right here", pointing to Elliot's head, not only suggesting the obvious thing, that Elliot will always remember E.T., but also that E.T. is figuratively a creation of the childhood mind, an "imaginary" friend of sorts. So the backlighting in the above shot helps introduce the character in this sort of way. Great stuff.

All the time-lapse shots in House of Sand and Fog are marvelous, but it'd be hard to distill those in to a screenshot, but this brief shot is mixed in, and really capitalizes on the mood and setting.  Leave it to Roger Deakins to make the glare off a windshield beautiful.

vlcsnap-2018-05-04-17h02m10s156.png

What even is this, you ask?  Looking vertically at the sun through snow starting to cover a skylight.  Really, all of The Fountain is stunning, but something about this shot has always stood out to me.

vlcsnap-2018-05-04-17h14m19s281.png

On 4/27/2018 at 5:05 AM, Chen G. said:

Not if the film they like is generally badly recieved. Try defending Kingdom of the Crystal Skull or Attack of the Clones....

The last five minutes or so of Attack of the Clones are great!  It's the best musical finale of the entire series.  (The rest, not so much...)

21 minutes ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

The last five minutes or so of Attack of the Clones are great!  It's the best musical finale of the entire series.  (The rest, not so much...)

Who cares? the moving pictures its attached to are horrible.

Besides, its not that great a score, either. A good score has at least two good themes to play off of one another. Attack of the Clones really only has Across the Stars, which it has to flog throughout the entire (and all too sizable!) runtime.

Can’t find a decent still from the movie but you know the one I mean.

Really you could pick any shot from it but this one stood out!

E06E42FC-2D0E-4BE3-AC6E-317F51954F15.jpeg

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Besides, its not that great a score, either. A good score has at least two good themes to play off of one another. Attack of the Clones really only has Across the Stars, which it has to flog throughout the entire (and all too sizable!) runtime.

Well, yeah, but there is the new Kenobi/Jedi motif, the Conspiracy motif (even if it is based off of ATS), Kamino theme, the mystery motif....

There are other motives to be sure (although I'm not certain what the "Jedi motif" is supposed to be), but I'm talking about a memorable theme. Not a little arpeggio.

It's a fanfarish motive that plays in Yoda and the Younglings, and Shmi's Funeral (For Kenobi checking in with the council/Anakin) and possibly other places.

I see.

I doubt that was intended to be thematic, though, regardless of the recurring nature of the gesture.

Lehman classifies it an "incidental" motif. In John Takis breakdown of the score, he calls the first instance you mention an "eight-note horn figure" so clearly he doesn't think much about it, either.

18 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The Fountain is one of the first films I tried to scavenge shots from for this thread, but couldn't find any of the ones I was thinking of. Film is orgasmic from start to finish.

That must be exhausting.

6 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Image result for the last jedi crait

Awesome.

Just to live up to my title, that's not an actual shot from the movie.

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

It’s beautiful!

“Duel of the Fates” playing over a long shot of Anakin talking to a Jawa is definitely one of the saga’s lowest points.