What are your favorite shots in a movie?

John

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2020 at 8:56 PM, Sir Hilary Bray said:

watching Episode IV tonight and always love the shot of Luke against the homestead (readily helped by the score). 

giphy.gif

I agree, but isn't this a hipsterized version? I mean, look at them colors!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 5:52 PM, Chen G. said:

Nolan would be livid to learn that a film shot digitally is compared to one of his.

Or that normal people can’t tell the difference between a film shot digitally or on film. But shhh, don’t tell him that.

• 3 weeks later...

Since its still a spoiler lets just say the mid murder scene in the Invisible Man. Stunning and shocking

@Marian Schedenig

Marian, are all those from THE HUDSUCKER PROXY?

There's a stunning tracking shot in ROTK where, just after blinding the Nazgûl, Gandalf turns Shadowfax towards Minis Tirith, and the camera turns with him. The integration of live-action footage, and miniatures, is breathtaking!

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Marian Schedenig

Marian, are all those from THE HUDSUCKER PROXY?

Indeed. One of my favourite films, and overflowing with Deakins goodness. Of course, many of my favourite shots are not to be found on Google.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 3:54 PM, Disco Stu said:

What are your favorite shits in a movie?

On 2/15/2020 at 4:47 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ah! That would be in one of the JACKASS movies, when someone takes a dump in a dollhouse.

That one is just...too much lol. I love the Bad Grandpa one.

47 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

That one is just...too much lol. I love the Bad Grandpa one.

Tasteless. Puerile. Brilliant. :lol:

15 minutes ago, KK said:

Yessir. His best film too. Mirror.

It forms Tarkovsky's holy trinity; along with SOLARIS, and STALKER.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That's the one with Emil Mortimer, isn't it? I've heard very good things about that one. Of Von Trier's work, I've only seen a couple of Dogme films. FESTEN is brilliant!

Emily Watson! And it's transcendent! I'm no Von Trier connoisseur nor fan, but this is the film to go to for indoctrination or reaffirmation of his talent.

Haven't seen Festen, or many Dogme films for that matter. Something about it as a manifesto sort of reeks of falsity. But I'm always interested in great films :)

4 hours ago, KK said:

Emily Watson! And it's transcendent! I'm no Von Trier connoisseur nor fan, but this is the film to go to for indoctrination or reaffirmation of his talent.

Haven't seen Festen, or many Dogme films for that matter. Something about it as a manifesto sort of reeks of falsity. But I'm always interested in great films :)

Emily Watson! So, it is. Apologies, etc.

See my comments, below, about FESTEN. As the vanguard of a new cinema ascetic, and an experiment, it kind of failed, but I've always liked it.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

The movie is a bit over the top, no?

If you you mean that it's over the top, by trying to go under the radar, then, "yes", it's a bit obvious. Dramatically, I found it no more over the top than any other film about a dysfunctioning family.