What are your favorite shots in a movie?

John

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@KK, more Bergman? I'm going to go for WINTER LIGHT, but I'm probably wrong.

Ulyssian nailed it. But considering it takes a lot after Nykvist's lighting and Bergman's framing, you weren't too far off ;)

Its not exactly a shot but I love the scene in Star Trek thr Undiscovered Country Spock tells Kirk "only John Williams could have scored Jaws". Wait...

Transitioning from real mountains into a CG map, floating over it to where we are next, pulling off of the CG map into a real room, sitting on a dolly, then doing a creeping sliding pan on it to look in on Bilbo muttering to himself, in one shot. On the last rewatch tons of creative camerawork stuck out to me in Fellowship, but much less so in the other two. Maybe I was too drawn into it by then.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

On the last rewatch tons of creative camerawork stuck out to me in Fellowship, but much less so in the other two. Maybe I was too drawn into it by then.

I think that's the explanation. It was all shot in one-go, so there isn't really any reason for the camerawork to be different film-to-film. Its illusory.

There is some more overtly-stylized, in-your-face shots in stuff that got shot very early on in the shoot (I'm mostly thinking the wide-angle-lensed closeups in the Prancing Pony) that got ironed-out in the following weeks, but otherwise I don't see a difference in how the films were covered.

If you want inventive camerawork, watch Heavenly Creatures. The camerawork there is as wacky as the main characters. But inventive and effective aren't necessarily the same thing, and I like the more restrained approach that shaped-up during The Lord of the Rings.

Last night I watched the first Hungarian film to feature sequences shot in colour (The Talking Robe, 1941)... And they made damn good use of the Alföld skies.

Screenshot_20200514-202719.pngScreenshot_20200514-202955.pngScreenshot_20200515-080731.png

35 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Where are these from. @KK?

Come on now Richard, can't give it away that easily.

It's a Kaufman film :p

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I didn't know he measured the shark precisely.

He said 20 footer. 20 feet is 6.09 meters

6 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

He said 20 footer. 20 feet is 6.09 meters

But I didn't know he measure the shark to be precisely 20 feet long, and not a fraction of an inch more or less.

Or you might just be deliberately ignoring that he obviously would have said "6 metres" had he been using the metric system, and nobody would have seen the need to comment that he would then have otherwise said "19.685 footer".

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But I didn't know he measure the shark to be precisely 20 feet long, and not a fraction of an inch more or less.

Or you might just be deliberately ignoring that he obviously would have said "6 metres" had he been using the metric system, and nobody would have seen the need to comment that he would then have otherwise said "19.685 footer".

He did not give an estimate or an approximation he gave an exact amount. Get over it

Folks need to start identifying up front the films they’re posting stills from. It’s hard to have to hunt in this thread for the name of the film and whether someone guessed it right. Just sayin’...

5 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Folks need to start identifying up front the films they’re posting stills from. It’s hard to have to hunt in this thread for the name of the film and whether someone guessed it right. Just sayin’...

I think that's part of the fun.

9 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think that's part of the fun.

One man’s fun is another’s pain in the ass.

Yes. I remembered that the film was very good, and that Gyllenhaal was very good (frighteningly good, in fact). But the nighttime cinematography is excellent as well. And the focus in that last scene is much more gripping than the still image conveys.

Whats the

point of hiding the title. Is it because of this pathetic need to not succumb to "spoilers". 

56 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Whats the point of hiding the title. Is it because of this pathetic need to not succumb to "spoilers". 

A couple of us enjoy guessing the movie from which the shots are taken, so the title is hidden. However, for those who'd rather not guess but still want to know the the film, they can simply reveal hidden contents and be informed. 

I find these presumably inconspicuous looking films in Deakins' portfolio very rewarding when re-watching them. Only a few months ago I watched The Big Lebowski for probably about the 10th time and was amazed what a treasure trove of great shots it really is.