What are your favorite shots in a movie?

John

Ah, the certified cinefile masterpieces. I switched that one off rather quickly. I guess I wasn't in the mood. Lots of talking after a wonderful opening shot of ceilings. Must give it another chance but I only have the DVD.

2 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

It's a great pity that the mono organ soundtrack can become rather harsh on the ears after an hour or so...

All the meandering chormaticisms certainly don't help...

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Ah, the certified cinefile masterpieces. I switched that one off rather quickly. I guess I wasn't in the mood. Lots of talking after a wonderful opening shot of ceilings. Must give it another chance but I only have the DVD.

It's definitely a big talking movie. But I think it's brilliant. Though I might prefer Hiroshima, the way Marienbad collapses time and memory in its dream-like fashion sits with you days after the credits have started rolling. Transformative cinema at its finest.

Time Stands Still, a 1981 Hungarian cult film about teens in 1963 coming of age, and the various failures of their potential mentors/authority figures that make them unfollowable, so they just rebel... without a cause.

The teen cult movie before your Hughes made it a mainstream thing! ;)

Often it uses very ordinary and everyday sets (well, locations) but makes them dreamy, paintingesque, mythic and stylised with some slowdowns, this heavy smoke (they sprayed chalk powder in the air in the school scenes, the DP got proper sick a couple times and production stalled), the cold neon lights, the framing and the moving camera.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to watch The Last Emperor again. So many, many visually incredible scenes. I bought and checked the European Blu-ray, but I didn't like the way it looked, so I refuse to watch it.

maxresdefault.jpg

That was a beautiful scene! Couldn't find a screenshot of it!

But yes, Bertolucci defintely delivered the money shots, what with all the resources he had and his playground being the Forbidden City.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2020 at 12:06 AM, Holko said:

One frame doesn't do that opening pullback justice!

That is what I'm always thinking, when I visit this thread. The de-contextualized images aren't nearly as effective, when you don't know what they're part of.