What are your favorite shots in a movie?

John

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

They're nice. What film are they from , @KK?

Like Chen said, it’s Jóhann Jóhannsson’s first and final film, Last and First Men. Gorgeous photography.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This metaphorical scene toward the end of Apa (Father), 1966.

All throughout the movie, the main character thinks about his father who died near the end of WWII and he only has few memories of; he fantasises, idolises, makes up stories for other people until he himself can't quite recall what was real and what wasn't. Only when grown up can he admit this to himself and face it, then in this scene he goes on a whim to swim across the Danube so he can finally struggle and achieve something himself, for himself instead of living and making himself live in the shadow (real or made up) of his father. Then as he mulls this over, the camera pans up and we see 100 other people also swimming the same way, showing he's not alone, the movie's representing that entire fatherless generation.

Bizalom (Confidence), 1979. It's about a woman near the end of WWII whose husband (unbeknownst to her) has ties to the underground movement against the ruling nazi allies, and when there's a chance he's been found out, she's suddenly given a new identity and moved into a rented room in an old couple's house with a stranger (also married) who is "her" husband according to the cover story. Relationship dynamics change, they grow closer while pretending, become lovers, but they both have their baggage and trust issues to carry too. It even made it into the final 5 nominees for the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar.

I'm going through a selection of this director's films for the first time and I think more's to come in this thread. When his signature quote on the box is "there is a single thing no other art is capable of, only film, and that is showing on the living human face emotion as it is born or changes", you know you're in for a treat.

• 2 weeks later...

Laurence Olivier in Vienna:

IMG_20201010_204623__01.jpg

IMG_20201010_211248__01.jpg

IMG_20201010_211400__01.jpg

IMG_20201010_212759__01.jpg

IMG_20201010_214433.jpg

Somewhere behind him in the third picture (on Kohlmarkt) is the secondary shop of the Gramola company, where I bought many of my earliest CDs in the 90s (mostly Deutsche Gramophon discs for what would today be about €6, but also the Morgan/Stromberg recording of The Egyptian at one point. Although I don't know when they opened that shop, and they've since closed it at some point during (probably) the last 10 years (their main shop around the corner on Graben still exists, somewhere on the right in the second picture).

• 2 weeks later...

10 Reasons Why “The Night of the Hunter” is a Classic of American Cinema |  Taste Of Cinema - Movie Reviews and Classic Movie Lists

Shelley Winters, underwater scene, in The Night of the Hunter | Japanese  horror movies, Horror movie night, Horror movie scenes

Cube: The Night of the Hunter

The Night of the Hunter Review :: Criterion Forum

The Night of the Hunter | Hunter, Night, Noir

Chiaroscuro in 'The Night of the Hunter' - Culturised

The Art of Cinematography — The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)

The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)

The Man Who Wasn't There – [FILMGRAB]

51%20(1198).jpg?bwg=1547476900

64%20(932).jpg?bwg=1547476900

A couple of gorgeous all-timers, no doubt. Even these stills don't really do the films justice. 

Spoiler

Top six images: The Night of the Hunter (dir. Charles Laughton, 1955)

Bottom five images: The Man Who Wasn't There (dir. Joel Coen, 2001)

I've still only seen The Man Who Wasn't There back when it was playing in theatres, long before I became familiar with Roger Deakins, but I do remember some striking images. Probably the first time I was consciously aware of cinematography while watching a film.

I saw both The Man Who Wasn't There and Ghost World in the cinema in 2001 and have a crush on Scarlett Johansson ever since

I haven't revisited TMWWT since, but I'm itching to go through the Coens entire discography at some point (there are some I've never seen and most I've only seen once) so look forward to seeing it again

On 10/26/2020 at 2:38 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

I've still only seen The Man Who Wasn't There back when it was playing in theatres, long before I became familiar with Roger Deakins, but I do remember some striking images. Probably the first time I was consciously aware of cinematography while watching a film.

The film that made me sit up and take notice of cinema as more than just a background to making out, was THE TOWERING INFERNO. For me it's still the best photographed fire, put on screen.

I noticed Deakins, when I saw 1984. I wondered how they got everything so "washed-out", so I researched bleach bypass.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, AC1 said:

Leave it to Drax to post the worst shot in the entire thread!

No, now, Alex. If Jerry likes this shot, the he has a right to post it :nono:

My favourite shot from that film, is the "backlit" Enterprise, as it enters the briar patch.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

No, now, Alex. If Jerry likes this shot, the he has a right to post it :nono:

Of course he has the right to post it. And I have the right to react to it as a please (negative or positive).

So, we have a 1983 cult rock opera, King Stephen, the original outdoors one-time production of which was released as a movie, which so far I've only seen in a youtube-uploaded version, a 4:3 cropped DVD transfer from a faded, darkened, bad quality print with serious speed and pitch and skipping issues for the audio. Only newer worse productions play on TV nowadays and no new DVD or anything came out.

Then yesterday I find a brand new 2019 restoration of it on our new local streaming service and... holy crap. It actually has colours and range and details and quality... and great sound! :drool:

https://imgur.com/QWO2UIFQWO2UIF.png

I7GWrxN.png

fstOiQo.png

4cfmdpk.png

9TMVa6a.png