What are your favorite shots in a movie?

John

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, AC1 said:

Looks very British à la 1970? Is that Susan George in the car?

No, Susannah York. In the mirrors, too. 1972, scored by Williams. DP'd by Zsigmond.

5 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That's nice, @Disco Stu.

Which film is it from?

It's a lovely miniature built for one of the very few establishing shots in the quite "stagey" The Holly and the Ivy (1952), one of my favorite Christmas movies.  It's a family drama filled with secrets and regrets, but not too dark, a perfect bittersweet tone for a grown-up Christmas story.

Ralph Richardson, a young Denholm Elliott, even a small one-scene role for William Hartnell!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

... and that?

That's from the centenary Ring. So not a movie, but a televized stageplay/music drama. But its a very arresting visual and @AC1 provoked me with Die Nibleungen!

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, AC1 said:

I've been thinking about it but I don't have a favorite shot of The Shining except of course for:

tumblr_pgnzf3KakD1rvt7jco3_500.gif 

All my favorite movie shots don't need context. 

Interesting that both of these are animated. I just finally rewatched the film after 10+ years yesterday, and there are a lot of amazing moving shots I'd like to post (sadly the one I chose is too short in the GIF), but not really that many single frames. They really used the steadycam to full effect.

Side observation: There are so many orthogonal panning shots in the film, it reminded me of Wes Anderson several times.