Williams' favourite musical instrument

filmmusic

So, I realised something lately.

Given that concert music is the type of music that gives a composer more freedom to express himself than film music, and given that the instrument that is most prevalent in Williams' concert works is the cello, I think this could be his favourite instrument.

-Cello Concerto

-3 pieces for cello

- Elegy for Cello

-Heartwood: lyric sketches for cello and orchestra

-A Young Person's guide to the cello

-Highwood's Ghost for cello, harp & orchestra

-Air and Simple Gifts for violin, cello, clarinet and Piano.

Also he asked to do Memoirs of a Geisha which featured prominently the cello and later adapted to a suite for cello & orchestra.

What do you think?
does anyone have any other idea?

I think he just likes working with Yo-Yo Ma.

Looking at Williams's output as a whole, it's not easy naming a single instrument, as he's demonstrated such a protean command of the entire orchestra. To narrow it down to "one", I would say the piano/celeste/keyboard. It's his most developed voice as a musician, and the principle colour he adopts for moments that demand a personal, sensitive or intimate shading.

Cello for solo writing, especially for Yo-Yo Ma,  but in terms of orchestral texture, I believe he has spoken fondly in the past about the French Horn.  We hear the instrument at emotional and reflective moments as well.  Plus, he wrote a quite magnificent concerto for the instrument.

But, he hasn't written a Piano Concerto, which just might mean he looks up to it as an instrument he is not quite worthy enough to write or publish a fully formed work for.   

4 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

But, he hasn't written a Piano Concerto, which just might mean he looks up to it as an instrument he is not quite worthy enough to write or publish a fully formed work for.   

I'd say it's more likely an instrument he's already extraordinarily familiar with (being a trained concert and jazz pianist himself), so he didn't see the need to explore it in an extended concert work. His concertos seem to be inspired by whichever virtuosic muse he's enamoured with at the time (eg. Yo Yo Ma,  Ann Hobson Pilot, etc)

Also, he hasn't published a piano concerto, who knows what unfinished works lie in that study.

3 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I'd say it's more likely an instrument he's already extraordinarily familiar with (being a trained concert and jazz pianist himself), so he didn't see the need to explore it in an extended concert work. His concertos seem to be inspired by whichever virtuosic muse he's enamoured with at the time (eg. Yo Yo Ma,  Ann Hobson Pilot, etc)

Also, he hasn't published a piano concerto, who knows what unfinished works lie in that study.

It would be great if he could write a contemporary-jazz piano piece (with orchestra accompaniment).

No doubt the cello, with that Yo Yo Ma phase from the late 90s to the mid/late 2000s.

He's written three pieces for his "own" instrument piano over the years (two of which we've heard), but never in a lyrical sense. Which is weird. Perhaps it's because he must be extra challenging, since it's his main instrument.

Personally, I wish he'd written more for woodwinds, since that is where I feel his true heart lies (love the bassoon concerto, medium on his oboe).

I doubt he has one single preferred or favourite instrument. But I would say these are probably among his favourites: 

Piano

Trumpet 

Violin

Cello 

Oboe 

French horn 

English horn

For what is worth, and to corroborate the cello theory, there was an interview from the early 00's were Williams says his favourte piece is the Elgar Cello Concerto.

Also, Angela's Ashes as several solo cello passages, that were extended for the suite.

• 5 years later...

I can’t remember exactly where but I remember reading a programme note or liner note written by JW where he said how much he liked the tuba and what a shame that it so often was used in a comedic Tubby-the-Tuba way.

Notes for the Tuba concerto, perhaps?

He seems to have a particular love for all brass, the cello, the harp, and more recently, the flute. But he's such a consummate orchestrator that it's pretty easy to find great examples of all the instruments being used prominently, and to great effect, throughout his oeuvre.

It's also a testament to his modesty that he has composed for the concert hall, almost exclusively, concertos, the most collaborative form of art music between the composer and the performer, for all but a few of the instruments of the orchestra. I'm not sure has has a favorite, as he seems to love each in their fashion.