SPOILER TALK: The Avengers: Infinity War

Jay

While I'm a little on the fence about him shedding tears for Gamorra, they did cursorily set it up in the other movies if memory serves me right. Thanos did say she was his favourite daughter. 

He was a pretty bad ass villain, I must say. By far the best so far. Red Skull had his (fleeting) moments in the first Cap movie, but Thanos works as the baddie from start to finish. I honestly can't remember much of any of the other villains from the other MCU movies. But I'm pretty certain I'll at least remember who Thanos is 3 years from now. 

The movie itself was very enjoyable. Might be the best since the first Guardians of the Galaxy. It's a marvel the whole thing didn't collapse under that much weight, that many character, and a multitude of locales. When Thanos snapped his fingers and characters started dying randomly my immediate reaction was that this movie had giants balls of steel. But 2 seconds later it hit me that most of them will be back anyway, especially since most of the dead have sequels to their own movies coming out in the next 1-2 years. That diluted the whole thing for me a bit. Although the only ones who I wished didn't die were the Guardians bunch. I hope Loki and Gamorra stay dead. Or it would be a total cheat. 

I saw it as Thanos slowly coming to actually love his 'favorite daughter' as she kept winning all her fights with the other children.

Hell you can see how he likes the lesser ones when he tells Nebula he wouldnt kill her because it'd be 'a waste of parts'

12 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Yeah, it's not Hugo Weaving who's credited as Red Skull in the end credits. 

Well, apparently he was played by Ross Marquand in this one.

Karol

38 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Funnily enough, I read today it wasn't Hugo Weaving returning as Red Skull but someone else impersonating him.

Karol

Oh... It did sound quite like him I thought. 

And I thought Domnhall Gleeson played the Squidward henchman... The one who gets blown out ala Aliens. But turns out it's another Irish dude. 

A random side note. But the final line of the film being "Motherf..." was both perfect for Sam Jackson as an actor. Perfect for a genuine character reaction, and most of all perfect for the overall audience reaction to the film. Great choice.

Ok, my last teensy complaint before I leave this thread to those that enjoyed it more.

There was not NEARLY enough Captain America in this one!  I'm assuming that will be remedies in the next one since we're back to just the original Avengers for their last hurrah, but he's still my favorite character in the MCU and I could've used a lot more of him.

40 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Ok, my last teensy complaint before I leave this thread to those that enjoyed it more.

There was not NEARLY enough Captain America in this one!  I'm assuming that will be remedies in the next one since we're back to just the original Avengers for their last hurrah, but he's still my favorite character in the MCU and I could've used a lot more of him.

Me too. Cap has always been my favourite Avenger in the films. I would have liked to see more of him. But I was very happy with the Thor heavy storyline because since Ragnorok, he has shot up to join Cap as my favourites.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I don’t think they’re the whole point at all, the point is to get entertaining movies.  The Guardians movies, last year’s Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Iron Man 3, the Captain Americas, I find all of these satisfying, enjoyable movies. And I enjoy the connected universe!  I just don’t find the big overblown overstuffed unfocused teamups that great.

Im exactly the same way - both in movies and in comics.  Events suck ass.(Avengers movies are good enough, don’t suck as much as comic events)

After sleeping on it and thinking about just a little bit and browsing some bits online from a cam copy to jog my memory, I think this is quite a good movie and an admirable attempt by Marvel. This movie's strengths are all the things that Civil War did not have. This has a clear villain with a clear motivation, it has cleanly structured plot lines that intersect and resolve and criss-cross in the most sensible way, the information flow from one plot-line to the other is seamless and well-handled and lastly the movie even with these many characters does a good job of handling them. It distributes the characters well between the various story-lines.

It would be churlish not to acknowledge how impossible this film was to make and that Marvel came away making a crowdpleaser while also supplying a bummer of a cliffhanger ending deserves kudos.

My only real complaint is that this is most certainly not a full story. Like even Empire with a cliffhanger feels like a complete movie. Even TFA with a cliffhanger feels like a complete movie. This was does not. 

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I think this is one of things which shows the film-makers had balls. They didn't just ram the stars in. This was a movie very much driven by the requirement of the story. The truly important plot driving characters were actually Thanos, Thor, Dr. Strange, Gomorrah, Scarlett Witch (with Vision) and Starlord and Nebula to some extent. Now that's a surprising set of charaters. Not even the big stars - Ironman, Black Panther, Soiderman, Cap etc. were the most crucial characters. All of them were pawns caught in the storylines triggered by other characters.

Frankly the Winter soldier crew (Cap, Widow, Falcon and Bucky) were basically extras to be honest. But the director's have stated that this being a 2.5 hr movie not everyone could be serviced properly. They said some characters that are prominent in this one will fade in the next one and some which were in the background in this one will bloom in the next one.

I expect Cap to have a large important role in the next one.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

This film was not about Cap. It was not about Iron Man or any of the other Avengers. This film was about Thanos and his quest. I thought the Russo brothers did a perfect job of balancing every character's screen time. i thought Civil War was already impressive, but this was just on another level. Incredible job.

13 hours ago, crocodile said:

What are you talking about? Zemo had the most rational motivation of them all.

Karol

But the motivation wasn't "clear" until the last half hour of the movie.  He was kind of a mustache twirling megavillain wannabe, until he wasn't.

I think I know exactly what they are planning for Part 2 of Infinity War.

All of the original Avengers (Iron Man, Thor, Cap and Hulk) are still alive. But all of their newer Avengers that they are pushing the next phase with are dead. (Spider-Man, Panther, Strange, Bucky, Falcon, Witch, Guardians etc). So I believe that the alive 'old Avengers' all reunite with the help of Captain Marvel, to save all the dead 'new Avengers.' BUT there is a cost. And that cost is that all of the dead Avengers souls are trapped in the soul stone with Thanos and Gamora. And considering the soul stone requires an exchange or a sacrifice if you will, the 'old Avengers' will all sacrifice themselves and essentially trade places with the 'new Avengers,' thus taking their place in death. 

All of the actors who are out of contract and want to leave can leave, and all the  new actors under new contracts are therefore the superheroes to carry the next phases. Bucky will replace Steve as Captain America. Valkyrie could replace Thor. Etc.

That's what I believe will happen. Certain things point to it. Like the convenience of the original Avengers all surviving, and all of Marvels new hot properties dying. Also Strange says, before he dies to Stark that he's sorry but it was the only way. Perhaps saying sorry to Stark that he has seen that Stark must sacrifice himself down the line to beat Thanos' plan. 

So I saw Infinity War yesterday.

I thought it was pretty good. Not my favorite movie in the MCU (it will be hard to top GOTG and Ragnarok), but I really enjoyed it overall. Granted, there were some characters I wish had gotten more development, but for an overstuffed, 2 and 1/2 hour movie, it moved along pretty quickly. There were a few solid emotional punches, a successful hit joke ratio, and plenty of fun character interactions. The scenes where the Guardians meet Thor were hilarious.

A solid **** out of ***** from me.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

But the motivation wasn't "clear" until the last half hour of the movie.  He was kind of a mustache twirling megavillain wannabe, until he wasn't.

Which is exactly why I love it so much.

Karol

I think it worked like gangbusters in the movie, but I think in the context of The Ulyssean's complaint, Thanos is certainly a much more easy-to-follow villain plotwise (because his plan is laid out in scene one, and the remainder of the movie is him executing that plan).

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

I think it worked like gangbusters in the movie, but I think in the context of The Ulyssean's complaint, Thanos is certainly a much more easy-to-follow villain plotwise (because his plan is laid out in scene one, and the remainder of the movie is him executing that plan).

yes. Civil war is like who is chasing who for what reason? Even the conflict between the Avengers is so contrived.

IW is a model of simplicity by comparison. I think this is a most wonderful and welcome trend - this kind of elegant simplicity of plot that seems to be having a bit of resurgence of late. I think Pacific Rim did this very well. Justice League had a very simple plot too but that movie is riddled atrocious writing and acting.

IW is such a cleanly structured pleasurably linear film. None of that awful non-stop cross-cutting bullshit like in a horrid Nolan film.

When you peg your movie on such a rock solid structure - it gives you room for wonderful character interactions and character moments and wry quips and emotional payoffs.

The movie's script is certainly it's biggest strength. And the hook for the sequel is also very clever.

EDIT: Due to the structure, Civil war to me is a bid budget TV movie. And for the same reasons, IW is cinema.

7 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

IW is such a cleanly structured pleasurably linear film.

If it has multiple storylines, its not a linear film.

19 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

If it has multiple storylines, its not a linear film.

Linear means straight. IW is told in a linear way. Many fragments all pointed the same direction, and each character groups' side missions all headed to one purpose and one end game. It didn't do multiple flashbacks or stop dead in its tracks at any point. It was a linear film.

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

So, IW having a really simple structure makes it cinema?

Sure....

Yes. Cinema is about concision, brevity, rigor, tightness, efficiency, concentrating the essence and drama of the story for maximum impact. Even through the presence of multiple threads they are all driven by one unifying story arc and driving towards a crescendo.

TV is diffuse and spread out with a loose structure and dozens of characters and has a structure like let’s look at this character and then this character. To me a lot of big budget movies are TV movies for this reason. Civil war especially so. 

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Infinity War is good and Nolan is bad? Wut?

Your statement isn’t apples to apples. You are comparing a movie with a director.

Thor stabbed Thanos, and Thanos said "You should have aimed for the head."

In Part 2 I demand the perfect resolve to that moment, where Thor stabs Thanos through the head and says "I aimed for the head," or "thanks for the advice." Something like that.

Something about the world and vibe of Doctor Strange that I just really respond to.  Dorky stories about wizards and shit just do it for me I guess.

Being a "Master of the Mystic Arts" is something I would have been crazy into when I was 10 years old.  They better make a sequel to that movie.  It's not officially announced, right?

The only officially announced MCU movies are

Ant-man and the Wasp (mid 2018)

Captain Marvel (early 2019)

Avengers 4 (May 2019)

and the MCU-adjacent Spider-man Homecoming 2 (July 2019), presumably because Marvel couldn't hush Sony up about announcing that movie like they've been staying mum about their slate.

And the nebulous promise of a Guardians of the Galaxy 3 in 2020, which doesn't necessarily spoil character fates since, based on the comics, they could field a whole GOTG team without Starlord, Groot, Gamora, Drax, Rocket, or Mantis - or a partial team starring whoever survives Avengers 4.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I bet it feels even longer if you buy a king size soda and then have to go to the toilet halfway through, but don't want to go because you don't want to miss the film.

That's literally the same joke Mike made.

Sometimes economy means small here, but it can also mean "you're getting the most for your buck."  Like how large soda can cost only 50 cents more than a medium but have twice as much soda?

But also, even a small theater soda feels like a freakin' gallon of liquid.  it's crazy.