SPOILER TALK: The Avengers: Infinity War

Jay

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

It was great all the way up to that one episode where the writers apparently didn't want fans to continue sympathizing, empathizing, or liking him, and chicken-jerked his neck into a totally different character.

I will say this, in my memory DS9 never let Cardassians get away with espousing much bullshit.  A character like Kira was usually there to call them out, and sometimes have their own assumptions challenged.  There were always clear moral outlooks being wrestled with by the writers very consciously. 

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I will say this, in my memory DS9 never let Cardassians get away with espousing much bullshit.  A character like Kira was usually there to call them out, and sometimes have their own assumptions challenged.  There were always clear moral outlooks being wrestled with by the writers very consciously. 

You're absolutely correct, and the exchange went both ways, which is way gutsier than picking the "easy targets" and calling them out/denouncing them. I haven't seen any of the Avengers, so I can't honestly comment on any of what you mentioned about Thanos and all that, but as a more fundamental viewpoint I'm more inclined to agree with you than not, if I understand you.

8 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

You're absolutely correct, and the exchange went both ways, which is way gutsier than picking the "easy targets" and calling them out/denouncing them. I haven't seen any of the Avengers, so I can't honestly comment on any of what you mentioned about Thanos and all that, but as a more fundamental viewpoint I'm more inclined to agree with you than not, if I understand you.

Actually both Black Panther and Infinity War were way more ambitious than past Marvel films on this front.  Killmonger especially is the most interesting villain in all the MCU for me.  I'd say Killmonger, Michael Keaton in Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Thanos are all highlights of the past few years in that universe.

1 hour ago, John said:

I thought it had a lot of genuine dramatic weight, and much more emotional resonance than most other Marvel flicks. It’s the type of movie that gets better the more I think about it. 

It is and isn't.

For me, its just a little too late. Marvel has boxed itself so much into a certain aesthetic, that: a) most deaths in the film only feel weighty by comparison: in any other film series they'd be par for the course; b) any observent audience member remotely knowledable of Marvel's output will know these deaths are not going to stick.

**** out of *****

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Actually both Black Panther and Infinity War were way more ambitious than past Marvel films on this front.  Killmonger especially is the most interesting villain in all the MCU for me.  I'd say Killmonger, Michael Keaton in Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Thanos are all highlights of the past few years in that universe.

Homecoming is the only MCU movie I've seen (well, most of it), and there were a few parts where I thought, "Oh hey, this is an actual movie!" I liked the scene where he's taking Peter and his daughter to prom, and he susses out Peter's alter ego, especially with the close ups and the lighting. And of course Michael Keaton is great at playing more the next-door type of role in addition to getting all extroverted, so that was a big help.