Elliot Goldenthal's ALIEN 3 (1992) - 2018 2CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

So the album is essentially missing 57 seconds of material? And not terribly remarkable in the context of the entire work, to be honest, but I'll add a rip to my playlist at some point (in between Lullaby Elegy and The Cremation).

Really enjoying the set, by the way. It's not perhaps something I'll be listening to frequently but an amazing work to study and appreciate.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me where 2m1 They Didn't Survive fits into the set? Just checked the iso on the Bluray and it's definitely not at the end of The Survivor Is a Woman or at the start of The Wreckage, yet the cue should sit between those tracks (according to the cue list):

1m2/2m0 The Survivor Is A Woman 
2m1 They Didn't Survive 
2m2 The Wreckage 

EDIT: Solved. Looks like 2m1 was moved to the start of track 11 (That's His Boot) on disc one, for whatever sequencing reason.

Also, is the wobbly trumpet at 0:04 of The Cremation (Alternate) intentional or just a case of damaged elements? Sounds kinda weird if they intended for that...?

• 2 weeks later...

Neil S Bulk just answered some questions about this release on the FSM forum

Is the wobbly opening brass note at 0:04 in "The Cremation (Alternate)" a case of damaged elements or just the composer's original intention for that note? Comparatively the brass note at the start of the film version is unwavering. It really took me by surprise when I first heard it.

This was a digital recording digitally transferred. The sort of "damage" you are describing is something that would happen with an analog recording and transfer, not digital. With digital either you either get a signal or you don't. There were instances of drop outs on Alien³ but we were able to handle them. Our tapes had a lot of redundancy, thank goodness.

Also, does anyone know why the end credits had a cue title assigned to them (12m3a) when they were just an edit job? Did Goldenthal write a credits suite that was never recorded?

A title and reel and part number were assigned because this appears to be the standard operating procedure in that era. I just worked on another score and went crazy for awhile because I couldn't find a cue that was assigned a reel and part number and an appropriate title. Session DATs didn't have this cue, neither did a the composers DAT (labelled "complete"!). It turns out the scene was entirely tracked! I expect I'll get nasty tweets when the album is released and it's "missing" this cue.

Neil

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=126737&forumID=1&archive=0

5 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

With the exception of maybe CETK and snippets of Images that I've heard, this level of experimentation was rarely heard in Hollywood at the time, and certainly not these days.

At the time of CEOTK and Images, this was a regular occurence.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/14/2018 at 3:46 AM, Corellian2019 said:

Made some "score restore" videos for scenes with music that was dialed out or replaced

This was awesome, three very different moods compared to the tracked/unused versions in the film. Thanks heaps for posting these.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Highly recommend this score for anyone still holding out. Music that's dripping with atmosphere, nihilism and texture. Perfect rainy day music. It's a grower and you need to be in the right mood to appreciate it, but it's easily one of my 3 favourite LLL releases now (behind TLW and A.I).

• 11 months later...

image.png

Holy shit, only 30 copies left! There were 279 left only a few days back (I used the cart trick). Don't miss out folks!

Also, kudos to LLL on this fantastic album. 3500 copies sold in almost exactly 3 years is a fantastic achievement (and a worthy honor for this release).

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Gone!

image.png

It was already gone an hour after you made the previous post. :o

Given I'm in the "enjoy, but not quite love" phase with the score, I'll likely regret not picking this up sooner once I have a deeper appreciation for it.

Had it.

Took some Tylenol for my headache.

Sold it while the ost was still.op.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Phew, just found it on my shelf.  I couldn't remember if I had picked it up yet or not lol

Another advantage to owning a physical product!😁

I don't think it's rated THAT highly is it?  Like it has its fans, but it's not constantly referenced as an important score of the 90s from what I've come across at least

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think it's rated THAT highly is it?  Like it has its fans, but it's not constantly referenced as an important score of the 90s from what I've come across at least

It seems like it's rated very highly on JWFan, among those who listen to it.

I love the score. I agree, it may be my favorite from him.

Found the movie extremely disappointing, especially after the trailer looked so promising.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Ever since the expansion was announced, the posts here have given me the impression that it's regarded as Goldenthal's best score. That would surely make it a very important score of the 90s.

Personally, it has never been among my top favourite Goldenthals, but I like it and certainly have a lot of respect for it. It's perhaps closer in sound and "abstractness" to his concert works than any other of his scores.

I never paid much attention to this score, but when I listened to the OST after the expansion was announced I was like Woah... How have I ignored this one

9 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I know Thor loves Goldenthal.

Wonder what he thinks of the expansion?

Take a wild guess! ;)

But it's his magnum opus, for sure, and one of my top 10 scores of all time.

Alien3 will always have a special spot in my heart.

I remember reading Opera News and it had a blurb about this guy who was going to score the next Alien film.  That kind of blurb in Film Score Monthly?  Sure, but Opera News?  I was intrigued.

A few months later I’m talking to a musician and he tells me about this fabulous score he was a part of recording.  A score that was unlike any score he’d been in the orchestra to record.  When I asked him to name the movie, he supplied, “The new Alien.”

That changed me from a hard pass on seeing it to checking it out.  Not overly fond of the film, but it didn’t stop me from walking immediately from the Fairview Theater across the parking lot to Tempo Records and buying the score.