Elliot Goldenthal's ALIEN 3 (1992) - 2018 2CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

19 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Seems that the film studios really need to get some more competent people to handle their archiving.

It used to be much, much worse. Like full scores of great scores by Rozsa, Newman, Tiomkin, etc being thrown away after the scoring session.  Imagine the treasures to be found in a Los Angeles landfill. All of Rozsa's MGM scores were tossed.  Some of his sketches may have survived (I think they're at Eastman) but not the full orchestrations. Anyone doing those now would have to rebuild them from piano conductor scores or takedowns. Herrmann's slightly different because he orchestrated everything himself and much (but not all) of that has survived. Virtually none of the Korngold sketches exist; but the orchestrations done for the WB pictures survive because WB saved everything.  They just didn't see these having a life beyond the work they had just completed.  So it ended up in the trash heap.  At least now, somewhere everything is digital.  Even if John Williams works by hand, it is sent to JKMS and digitized then typeset so digitally archived. 

I love this entire score-- but having the full, properly mixed and mastered presentation of 'Gotcha/hello, I must be going' is worth the full price of the album. Can't wait to hear it all! 

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

Do we know if it was actually a re-recording though? Or just an assembly of other cues that was intended for a re-recording but ended up being an edit? I'd be very surprised if they left it off and it was a different recording...

Turns out it was an assembly. I just read an old FSM interview with Goldenthal where he confirmed that

6 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

LLL doesn't use the word 'complete' due to the endless nitpicking of film score fandom.

Meanwhile you can distinguish bootlegs and official special editions by the choice of words. Bootlegs always say 'complete' and official releases say 'expanded'.

13 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I haven't heard the score.  Would this be worth buying "cold"?  

It's a very unique but highly memorable score; evocative, cold, incredibly atmospheric, gothic to the extreme. I love the symphonic bliss of John Williams as much as the next guy, but this is a harsh yet beautiful score that I love equally for very different reasons.

That the film it accompanied was such a fascinating mess makes Goldenthal's score all the more intriguing. Agreeing with Jay though, I'd check out some tracks on YouTube first. Noteworthy tracks include Wreckage and Rape, Adagio, Agnus Dei & Lento. The end credits suite is also a pretty good representation of the score's overall tone (not on OST but available on YouTube also) and will help you decide if it's your cuppa tea. :)

19 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I haven't heard the score.  Would this be worth buying "cold"?  

If you are a fan of Goldenthal, yes.  It has everything fans of his want.  Very dark/grim and sophisticated score with a gorgeous ending.

After all the tinkering and hacking up on the first two Alien scores, plus the production problems on Alien 3, it's a miracle the score ended up largely intact in the film.

By the way, did Fincher work directly with EG on the film or did the producers end up delegating that to themselves?

He worked pretty extensively with Goldenthal, until it became clear that the studio was going to jettison his preferred cut, coincidentally around the time of the L.A. riots. That's when he famously said that he wished the warehouse with the negative was burned to the ground

Samples:

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/Alien3.html

Shipping update:

SHIPPING UPDATE:

Still trying to squeeze a definitive answer out of UMG (the manufacturer), but to be safe we are changing the shipping release date to May 10 now.

MV

I'm glad they included the OST presentation, considering there are alternate passages. Can anyone explain why tracks like this are so different from their film version counterparts?

Was this score an early example of stripping the orchestra?

I'm sure I remember that my brother's copy of the soundtrack back in 1992/93 included the altered Fox Fanfare at the start of track 1. Could it be that the UK/European version was different?

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Was this score an early example of stripping the orchestra?

LOL

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Samples:

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/Alien3.html

Shipping update:

It's a little annoying that the last LLL release I ordered isn't getting shipping until after I buy the next one (Superman IV).  If I'd known that I would have waited and combined them....

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Faulty memory.  That was never released anywhere until Varese's Predator CD in 2003.

I'm just a little upset the novelty Fox fanfare from War for the Planet of the Apes isn't on the soundtrack.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

It's a little annoying that the last LLL release I ordered isn't getting shipping until after I buy the next one (Superman IV).  If I'd known that I would have waited and combined them....

Why not e-mail them and suggest that?

Karol

I don't have anything to add in terms of the 'C&C' aspect of this release (for obvious reasons), but I just wanted to chime in in a thread about a score that is on my Top 10 list of all time. Certainly my favourite by Goldenthal; his magnum opus. The original album is like a wonderful, dark symphony. I've also been fortunate to see and hear some of this music performed live, with Goldenthal in attendance.

Furthermore, I belong to those who NOW defend the film avidly, even if I was massively bummed when I saw it in the theatre in August-92. I was 15 years old, going on 16, and not really old enough to see it -- but I managed somehow. The downbeat atmosphere and ending was a far cry from the previous two ALIEN films I cherished and loved. But in older years, I've come to appreciate it for what it is; on its own terms.

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

I'm just a little upset the novelty Fox fanfare from War for the Planet of the Apes isn't on the soundtrack.

At least Powell was nice enough to include this one!

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Was this score an early example of striping the orchestra?

Well spotted.

I'd say a significant part of what makes the alien attack cues so unsettling to the ear is how the orchestra (recorded with a mix emphasizing the outriggers and ambient microphones), of which listener has been conditioned to associate with a certain proximity, is 'punctured' by unnervingly close brass performances (semi-aleatoric, close-miked and employing creative dynamic panning for a tromp l'oreille effect).

I really need get that Alien 3 analysis underway.

5 hours ago, Alan said:

I'm sure I remember that my brother's copy of the soundtrack back in 1992/93 included the altered Fox Fanfare at the start of track 1. Could it be that the UK/European version was different?

Not mine.

I already settled this issue gentlemen.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Faulty memory.  That was never released anywhere until Varese's Predator CD in 2003.

Yes, my memory was wrong about the CD. I must be thinking about hearing it on the VHS or something.

Originally in the 90s, Fox wanted to release a CD that would open with Goldenthal's Alien 3 Fox Fanfare, then premiere the scores to Predator and Die Hard, which never had soundtrack albums at the time of their film's releases.

That release fell apart, but Varese eventually licensed Die Hard and Predator individually.  They released a single-album version of Die Hard in 2002, and then began work on Predator.  They decided to license Goldenthal's Alien 3 Fox Fanfare to open that release as a nod to the release Fox had wanted to make happen but couldn't.

I couldn't tell you why Intrada decided to put it on their version of Predator as well, I think they basically just said they didn't want to annoy anyone by leaving it out.

More delays: 

SHIPPING UPDATE PART DEUX:

Almost here...almost

The discs will finally arrive from UMG on Thursday. HOWEVER, they still need to be packaged up by our manufacturer which should take a few days (when dealing with UMG titles they only manufacture the discs themselves and they leave it up to us to supply the art, casing and assembly of said package). I would suspect shipping on Alien 3 will commence Tuesday, May 15. UMG does apologize for the delay. The main manufacturing plant that UMG (and coincidentally Sony Music) use shuttered a month ago so all their operations moved to another facility, thus causing a delay and massive headache for us.

As soon as fully assembled sets come in we will be working around the clock to process and ship them out as quickly as possible.

Once again, I apologize for the delay.

MV

PS if you want to combine shipping with Superman IV let us know when you order. Write PLEASE COMBINE SHIPPING WITH ALIEN 3 ORDER (INCLUDE YOUR ORDER #) and we will make sure to refund your shipping cost via paypal or manually deduct the cost before card is charged.

Karol

MV has to be one of the most communicative business owners I've ever come across. I work with people who would find the detail in his post completely unnecessary because it's exposed the 'inner workings' of the label which customers don't need to know. Very refreshing.