SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE - 2018 2-CD La-La Land Records edition

Jay

@Jurassic Shark This has been illuminating, truly.  It gives me pause before writing hyperbolic opinions or knee-jerk reactions.  I do like to think and hope I'm evolving.

I gave Star Trek: Nemesis another chance yesterday and absolutely loved a score that never made an impression on me.  That's gotta be some kind of growth, right?  I think there's so much going on with brain chemistry always in flux that determines how a score is going to land with us at any particular time in our lives.  That, and listening to more and more music to allow scores to settle into their proper context in our estimation of worth.

No one keeps diaries anymore.  We use the internet for that.  This has been fun to have an old page from 10 years ago held up for me to re-assess. :lol:

58 minutes ago, Tom said:

We all evolve.  10 years ago, I never ate candy bars with a knife and fork.  What a fool I was.  

I do that with protein bars!  But your idea is logical... it's a dessert, so why not?

1 hour ago, Hedji said:

This has been illuminating, truly.  It gives me pause before writing hyperbolic opinions or knee-jerk reactions.  I do like to think and hope I'm evolving.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I find your original review quite balanced, mentioning both the good and the bad, which is exactly what I'm looking for when searching for reviews.

1 hour ago, Hedji said:

I gave Star Trek: Nemesis another chance yesterday and absolutely loved a score that never made an impression on me.

In this dark age of current film scores, I also tend to reassess older scores. Some scores that I initially dismissed are like masterpieces compared to most of the scores we're served today.

17 hours ago, Hedji said:

I wrote that?  What an ass I was! :lol:

That was fun, yet a bit cringey to read, because I don't even recall feeling that way, but I suppose I did.  My review seems a bit young, dumb, and full of snark as I'm reading it now.

If I had an old post dug up that was that measured and reasonably argued, I'd breathe a sigh of relief!  The number of times I come across posts of mine in old threads that make me shudder.... *shudder*

16 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I listened to the score today again and I have to say, I am neither a big fan of the new themes nor of the score. 

The first score contains all, that I want from a Superman score.

That's where I am based on the LLL samples.

• 1 year later...

It's kind of amazing. I'm going to go through the entire film this weekend and write it up. The takes used in the original version of the film (and on the soundtrack release) are superior, but it is a fascinating treat to hear some of these cues. Additionally, the London cues that ARE used, are mixed VERY differently. The main title really sticks out, with a few lovely flourishes and a few tragic twangs. My suspicion is that they used the Germany cues for as much as they could, and filled in the gaps with the London bits. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this! 

Very interesting. This reminds me of the Donner Cut of Superman 2 having a couple extra scenes only available via the Vudu site, and no one’s sure who added them in, because Donner apparently did not. And it’s 7ish minutes longer than the standard Donner Cut available on disc.

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

@Brando I’d not heard of that. Is this still available like that?

image.png

https://www.capedwonder.com/superman-2-alternate-donner-cut/

BTW @Andy that image you posted is for the first film....

1 hour ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

https://www.capedwonder.com/superman-2-alternate-donner-cut/

BTW @Andy that image you posted is for the first film....

Yes, this was the article I think I found here a little while ago, it’s very interesting and a cool look into the behind the scenes. I edited my original comment to be more specific.

A friend just sent me the main titles.... wow. I can see why they headed back to the UK! That's really awful. And a big shame if this is how the 4K disc is going to sound. 

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Superman Anniversary Day! Celebrate with a 48hr FLASH SALE on our 2-CD SUPERMAN IV soundtrack CD set - only $20 for the next 48hrs! Sale ends 4/20/23

https://lalalandrecords.com/superman-iv-the-quest-for-peace-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=150985&forumID=1&archive=0

On 24/3/2023 at 12:20 PM, Andy said:

Jim Bowers of Caped Wonder is reporting that the new remaster on iTunes is featuring alternate music takes from the Germany sessions, never before heard. 

97E92828-F46D-4944-AA5B-0D23A32F58DF.png0F1ADEBB-ACD1-4EC0-9C4A-8296AC20F12C.jpeg

I kinda wish the Germany sessions were on the soundtrack release as alternates. They’re bad but fun to listen to!