SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE - 2018 2-CD La-La Land Records edition

Jay

Supe4.jpg

It will be available to purchase Tuesday, May 8th, at 1:00PM PST at www.lalalandrecords.com

Some comments from the FSM thread:

MV:

The master and musical content for Superman IV are the same as they were in the Blue Box. The notes have been reconfigured to go with this 2 cd set. Art direction, however, is all new courtesy of Jim Titus.

MV

Without giving our 2018 plans away completely, you might want to put your thinking caps on and consider the possibilities of what may come out in the future. Superman IV, according to album producer Mike Matessino, was perfect as is and didn't need to be messed with... and that's all I will say about any other Superman music at this time. :) 

MV

Mike Matessino:

I would additionally point out that there was no original album release of Supeman IV, so therefore Warner Music Group is not involved with this in any way. Unlike the previous three films and albums, this is entirely a studio owned score, and since all of the content was presented cleanly on two discs of the box set, it was an easy one to prepare for separate release without changing (and we did have to make an appropriate arrangement with Paul Fishman to retain his song material). 

I did fix some very, very, very minor things, but overall I was very happy with how this was done in 2008, beautifully mastered by Doug Schwartz. As you all likely know, it is a fantastic score, and over the years there have been many, many comments and messages from people who wanted a separate release because they didn't want to buy the box set, usually because they were fine with Rhino version of the first score and didn't care much about the other two.

Well, here it is.

The comic book adaptation genre is also much different than it was in 2008, so there are many fans in that world who likely have no awareness of this music because they were too young at the time. Bottom line is that this is an excellent score from 1987, previously restricted to a very expensive purchase, now finally getting its own much-deserved release.

Mike M.

MV's comment refers to the overall program and mixing and mastering. In other words, there's no reason to re-buy it solely for a sonic or content upgrade because there was no reason to go back and remix, reassemble, re-sequence or remaster. But as I had to make a new DDP for delivery I took the opportunity to listen and make some, as I said, "very, very, very minor" fixes. A tick or two painted out and a cleaned-up ending here and there, that kind of thing. And that's it. Now, if anyone who was passing on it feels that makes it worthy of a re-buy, then by all means go ahead. This was dusting the floor, not installing a new one. Hope that clarifies.

Mike M.

Blue Box contents with very minor tweaks.

I know there was a monumental effort put into restoring this particular score for the Blue Box initially.

Since I never got the Blue Box, this is likely a must buy for me.

I need this, but also need to find some way to ask LLL for reduced shipping, like sending it without jewel case or something.

I'm glad this is getting a release. I'm bit tempted to buy it to have a nice packaging but it might be bit of an overkill. We'll see.

Karol

So at least some of LLL's 2018 Williams releases are accounted for now. If im reading MV's comment right it looks like we'll be getting Mike M's third shot at the original.

9 hours ago, King Mark said:

if you have the blue box you have 0 need for this

Incorrect.  I may buy it just so I can have it separate on a shelf.

Weird, but true.

This is such a great score! I love the new themes Williams provided. I play both Lacy’s Theme and Jeremy’s Theme regularly - in spite of the 80’s arrangements, which some might scoff at. They’re both great. That said, I wouldn’t mind a re-recording with a more neo-classical arrangement (I’m looking at YOU Lockhart, just a tip for Lights Camera Music Vol. 2).

Another top pick is the march for United Nations which features a very solemn and regal version of the Superman Theme. Fantastic stuff!

If you don’t want to spend money on the blue box - you should definitely buy this as a placeholder.

On 3-5-2018 at 10:21 PM, Thor said:

I need this, but also need to find some way to ask LLL for reduced shipping, like sending it without jewel case or something.

That won't help. CD cases really arent that heavy. Shipping prices are just through the roof these days if you're not selling through Amazon.

Just now, rough cut said:

You’re in for a treat, Bespie;)

ok I just opened a Champagne bottle to celebrate that!

20180505_095355.jpg

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That won't help. CD cases really arent that heavy. Shipping prices are just through the roof these days if you're not selling through Amazon.

Really? I find that Amazon is extremely expensive too. Both the regular inventory, and the 'second-hand' sales, which are even worse than regular retailers. Sometimes up to $20!

On 5/3/2018 at 5:51 PM, Alan said:

So at least some of LLL's 2018 Williams releases are accounted for now. If im reading MV's comment right it looks like we'll be getting Mike M's third shot at the original.

Matessino was involved with the Rhino?

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Really? I find that Amazon is extremely expensive too. Both the regular inventory, and the 'second-hand' sales, which are even worse than regular retailers. Sometimes up to $20!

Orders from the marketplace at amazon.co.uk usually have shipping charges ranging from £1.8 to £3.5 for each CD album.

On 5/3/2018 at 10:21 PM, Thor said:

You can ask them to give you a "review discount", for example 30%. If worked for me at another site.

LA-LA LAND RECORDS PRESENTS 
NEW RELEASES: 
Tuesday, 12pm (PST) MAY 8, 2018

Available for order at www.lalalandrecords.com 
Tuesday, 12pm (PST) MAY 8, 2018

“SUPERMAN IV – THE QUEST FOR PEACE: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)"
Music by John Williams
Adapted and Conducted by Alexander Courage
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $24.98 
STARTS SHIPPING MAY 10

“SUPERMAN RETURNS” GOING OUT OF PRINT! 
Less than 100 copies of John Ottman’s fantastic 2-CD SET of SUPERMAN RETURNS remain! Once they are gone, this title is out of print, so get yours now!

BACK IN STOCK!
JOHN WILLIAMS JURASSIC PARK COLLECTION: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET), X-FILES FIGHT THE FUTURE: LIMITED EDITION, MATRIX RELOADED: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET), DANCES WITH WOLVES (2-CD SET), HOME ALONE: 25th ANNIV. (2-CD SET), DIE ANOTHER DAY (2-CD SET), BEVERLY HILLS COP II, 
THE PEACEMAKER (2-CD SET), THE GREAT RACE (3-CD SET)

SUPERMAN IV – THE QUEST FOR PEACE: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)     
LLLCD 1456
Music by John Williams
Adapted and Conducted by Alexander Courage
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $24.98

STARTS SHIPPING MAY 10

Available to order from www.lalalandrecords.com starting at 12 noon (pst)on 5/8.

Superman-IV-Web.jpgLa-La Land Records, Warner Bros. Entertainment, Water Tower Music and DC present the first solo CD release of the original motion picture score to the 1987 feature film, SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE, starring Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman and Jackie Cooper, and directed by Sidney J. Furie. SUPERMAN maestro John Williams’ spellbinding music, adapted and conducted by Alexander Courage, sends the Man of Steel soaring high, with a stupendous orchestral score that proves to be a wondrous way to celebrate Superman’s 80th Anniversary! Previously only available as part of a now out-of-print 8-CD set from Film Score Monthly, this release makes this notable work available once again for a new generation of comic book and superhero movie fans. Produced by Mike Matessino and Lukas Kendall, mixed and edited by Matessino, and mastered by Doug Schwartz, this release features the epic film score (which was recorded for a much longer version of the film) spread across two CDs, with alternate cues following. Disc 2 concludes with all of the songs and source material that were recorded for the project by Paul Fishman. The in-depth liner notes by Mike Matessino, Lukas Kendall and Jeff Eldridge have been sourced from the box set release and pay tribute to the great talent of Alexander Courage, best known as the composer of the theme to Star Trek. The heroic art design is by Jim Titus. This is a limited edition of 3000 units.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1 
1 Fanfare / Space Saver 1:51 
2 Main Title / Back in Time 5:43 
3 Pow! / Good Morning 2:48 
4 Smoke the Yokes / Nefarious 1:06 
5 To Work / Train Stopper 2:09 
6 Someone Like You (Lacy’s Theme) 3:21 
7 Jeremy’s Theme 2:18 
8 For Real / The Class 1:47 
9 Hair Raisers 1:01 
10 Lacy / The Visit 2:30 
11 First Nuclear Man 5:26 
12 Nuke 1 Fight / Ashes 3:47 
13 Headline 2:51 
14 Fresh Air 4:35 
15 United Nations / Net Man 4:45 
16 Sunstroke / Enter Nuclear Man 2 5:27 
17 Flight to Earth / Introducing Nuclear Man 2 3:27 
18 Lacy (disco version) 2:15 
19 Lacy’s Place 5:25 
20 Ear Ache / Confrontation / Tornado 8:11 
21 Volcano 2:21 
22 Statue of Liberty Fight 3:46  
Disc 1 - Total Time: 76:50

DISC 2 
1 Nuclear Man Theme 2:50 
2 Down With Flu 3:15 
3 Two-Faced Lex / Missile Buildup 1:41 
4 Persuader / Awakened 3:16 
5 Abducted / Mutual Distrust 4:47 
6 Metropolis Fight  / Lift to the Moon 3:38 
7 Moon Fight / Goodbye Nuke 5:08 
8 Come Uppance / Lifted / Quarried / Flying With Jeremy / End Credits 9:39 
Total Score Time: 1:51:00 

ALTERNATES AND SOURCE MUSIC 
9 Fresh Air [album version] 4:41 
10 Someone Like You (Lacy’s Theme) [slow version] 3:36 
11 Red Square Band :57  
Total Time: 9:11

SOURCE MUSIC AND SONGS BY PAUL FISHMAN 
12 Superfly Guy 4:17 
13 Headphone Heaven 3:25 
14 Revolution Now 4:28 
15 Saxy Sadie 4:48 
16 Krypton Nights 4:46 
17 Life’s Too Dangerous 3:16 
18 Workout 2:29 
19 Lois Love 4:58 
Total Time: 32:27

Disc 2 - Total Time: 75:53
Total Two-Disc Time: 2:32:43

Superman-IV-sq-shareable-Web.jpg

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-oyimu--fj28z-ag4f6q9

On 08/05/2018 at 11:29 AM, Jay said:

Previously only available as part of a now out-of-print 8-CD set from Film Score Monthly,

lol it's not out of print.

Unless they're going to split hairs between "out of print" and "sold out."  Which would be a bit sketchy.

Eh, I'm sure it was a simple oversight.  Is that really laugh-out-loud funny?

I'm on the floor, gasping for air, I'm laughing so hard.

I pretty much only ever use 'lol' sarcastically.  If something actually makes me laugh I indicate that some other way.  It's not really something I've thought about before.

i have the blue box, but this packaging is amazing.  and i have never owned Superman iv as a complete and separate score.   so I'll buy it again. And I'd buy the others in separate packing as well. And, I'd love to have Superman iv on vinyl too, cause i bought the originals 1,2 and3 on vinyl  way back in the day.  Wonderful!!!

2 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Nice boxy shoulder pads.

Literally 30 seconds before I saw this post I had just finished watching this:

And thought the same thing about the shoulder pads

:lol:

You're in for such a treat @Disco Stu. I love what Courage does with the two love themes (by Williams) fighting for supremacy in this cue:

Notice how Superman's theme is somewhat stuck in the middle. It's a brilliant piece of musical comedy.

And this cue is a beauty as well:

Karol

I never had the Blue Box, so this was a good sell for me. Hopefully it'll be combined with Alien3 order (I sent a PM) to save on shipping. Matessino and Jim Titus are my favorite names to see on a release.

So, has anyone who ordered this, and did NOT order Alien 3, get a shipping confirmation yet?

3 hours ago, Fal said:

So, has anyone who ordered this, and did NOT order Alien 3, get a shipping confirmation yet?

I ordered both plus two other items and just got one.  Expected arrival Thursday!

On 12 May 2018 at 6:22 AM, Margo Channing said:

Some people are real snobs towards Ken Thorne and turned their noses up at it.

I love the Ken Thorne scores, he did some terrific adaptations of the original JW themes. The dramatic rendition of the Krypton theme for the scene where Clark is trekking north by foot and fails to hitch a ride is fantastic. Also the bit where Supes and Lois fly back to Metropolis and have their last farewell is heartbreaking. RIP Margot Kidder :(