John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

Amazing!!!! Unfortunately, I can't afford both the London and Vienna dates, not so much for economic limitations, but rather schedule ones :(

And they are doing one of my favorite scores...

Anyway, I'll be in London and that is better than what I would have hoped. 

I'll try to be in Wien too for this concert...do you think they'll go sold out immediately as the London one? 

Sad I can't go. Vienna Philharmonic AND John Williams is not the kind of combination you hear about every day.

Karol

I am speachless. So I will definietelly sell my tickets for London and travel to Vienna since it is MUCH more closer.

This is the best year ever.

1 hour ago, fililando said:

I'll try to be in Wien too for this concert...do you think they'll go sold out immediately as the London one? 

Probably. They're doing two concerts, but while the Golden Hall is big, it's not as enormous as the RAH.

What the... 

Cool to hear JW's still up for stuff like this. I had thought those days had long passed (and that the LSO engagement was just an anomaly). :)

EDIT: Trivia question I'm wondering about: Has JW ever conducted the Vienna Phil? 

4 minutes ago, Will said:

What the... 

Cool to hear JW's still up for stuff like this. I had thought those days had long passed (and that the LSO engagement was just an anomaly). :)

EDIT: Trivia question I'm wondering about: Has JW ever conducted the Vienna Phil? 

I think it's his way to say farewell to Europe!

1 minute ago, fililando said:

I think it's his way to say farewell to Europe!

Probably, yeah. 

@Will, I don't think he ever has conducted the Vienna Philharmonic.  The Vienna Phil doesn't play his music  very often, but when they do it is quite a treat.

I do hope they broadcast the concert on PBS.

9 minutes ago, Will said:

No. They've performed his music before, but the only time I'm aware of is when they played the Star Wars suite at their Sommernachtskonzert several years back (their annual open air proms thingy basically). Seiji Ozawa was set to conduct, but had to bow out and was replaced by Franz Welser Möst. I was on a business trip and missed it.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Just 2 weeks after Zimmer is honored at Hollywood in Vienna.  Great time to be a film music fan in Austria this autumn.

Here's what my autumn concert schedule looks like now:

19 Oct: Hans Zimmer in Vienna
26 Oct: John Williams in London
3 Nov: John Williams in Vienna
4 Nov: John Williams in Vienna (unless the programme here is exactly the same as in London, then I'll probably skip one day)
17 Nov: Star Wars in London

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

No. They've performed his music before, but the only time I'm aware of is when they played the Star Wars suite at their Sommernachtskonzert several years back (their annual open air proms thingy basically). Seiji Ozawa was set to conduct, but had to bow out and was replaced by Franz Welser Möst. I was on a business trip and missed it.

I think Most and the Philharmonic did a fantastic job with Princess Leia's Theme and The Imperial March.

How does one say those two pieces in German?    

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Here's what my autumn concert schedule looks like now:

19 Oct: Hans Zimmer in Vienna
26 Oct: John Williams in London
3 Nov: John Williams in Vienna
4 Nov: John Williams in Vienna (unless the programme here is exactly the same as in London, then I'll probably skip one day)
17 Nov: Star Wars in London

I wish I was so sure about finding the tickets as you! 

2 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I think Most and the Philharmonic did a fantastic job with Princess Leia's Theme and The Imperial March.

How does one say those two pieces in German?    

I've never seen track lists that translated them, fortunately. ;)

Amazing! Seems like he'll be staying in Europe for a week or two then. Very cool!

I missed the London tickets but I might make a try for these. I don't expect Williams will ever perform in Australia, so it looks like I'll have to travel the globe to see him!

2 hours ago, Omen II said:

Williams should devise a special Mitteleuropa suite for these concerts, consisting of The Eiger Sanction, Munich, The Book Thief, Heidi and The Secret Ways.

If he doesn't, I'm out.

I think we can justify including Escape from Venice. And obviously Journey to Austria and The Austrian Way.

I'm afraid he already retired the new version of Han Solo and the Princess since he's playing Leia's theme

Anyway, giving the Max Steiner award to Hans zimmer one month before John williams will perform in the same city (it's not the same orchestra and not the same hall) is kind of.. insult ? Joke ?

i know that sandra tomek (producer of the vienna film festival) did this as a pure business move to have Zimmer in her pocket, to have more recording contract with remote control and for other reasons too as she's producing as well the european zimmer tour, but it's a kind of a shame. in my opinion...

the zimmer "party" will be broadasted on 35th Tv network, and what about ... Williams ?

and come on, Max Steiner award to... :(

Going to London will be expensive enough, so I'll have to skip this.

Pity, since it would be a lovely excuse to visit Vienna again.

I'll definitely try to be there, after all, it's only about 400 km drive from my hometown to Vienna. Still, it does depend on how fast I'll be able to react to the fact that the tickets have gone on sale once that happens, and of course on their price. The last time I visited Vienna was for Shore's LotR symphony. That was in 2004 ... My, time does fly! :o:P

4 hours ago, Martyprod said:

Anyway, giving the Max Steiner award to Hans zimmer one month before John williams will perform in the same city (it's not the same orchestra and not the same hall) is kind of.. insult ? Joke ?

i know that sandra komet (producer of the vienna film festival) did this as a pure business move to have Zimmer in her pocket, to have more recording contract with remote control and for other reasons too as she's producing as well the european zimmer tour, but it's a kind of a shame.

Tomek, not Komet.

Considering how long they took to announce the guest of honour this year, it seems obvious that they were trying to get Williams. My guess is he got offers from both Hollywood in Vienna and the Philharmoniker, and either the Philharmoniker had the better offer, or it was just his personal preferences to choose them. I'm certainly happy that he did - not only because it's the Philharmoniker (honestly, a properly rehearsed RSO is first rate, too), but because it's going to be a proper concert, with complete original compositions and without amplification.

3 hours ago, hornist said:

I think it says "TV-konzert" in that information of concert on Sunday.

For both Vienna dates, actually.

35 minutes ago, Maglorfin said:

I'll definitely try to be there, after all, it's only about 400 km drive from my hometown to Vienna. Still, it does depend on how fast I'll be able to react to the fact that the tickets have gone on sale once that happens, and of course on their price. The last time I visited Vienna was for Shore's LotR symphony. That was in 2004 ... My, time does fly! :o:P

Hey, I was there, too - did we know this before?

15 hours ago, Will said:

15 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

In fact, Williams has never conducted any kind of concert in Austria. I don't recall if there's any indication that Williams has ever even been here, but I'm sure @Miguel Andrade and @Thor have records on this.

35 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Tomek, not Komet.

Considering how long they took to announce the guest of honour this year, it seems obvious that they were

Sorry bad error typing (suffering from hands issues, if i don't re read me carrefully, i write that kind of error all the time :()

Anyway one of my close friend work for them, so it's an information easy to confirm (or not).

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Hey, I was there, too - did we know this before?

I don't think we did, however, it's nice to know even after 14 years! :lol:

That looks like quite an intimate venue! How many seats are we talking here? It will sell out in seconds... :(

Melbourne to Austria is only about 24 hours with 1 stop. 

The Philharmoniker do a New Year's concert every Jan. 1st there which is broadcast even here on a state-funded channel. For that, you have to buy tickets probably years in advance, or get your seats passed down from wealthy, important relatives.

I quote my friend (from the "other orchestra") :

"Concerning jw, no unfortunately i dont have anything to do with it. Its a show with the vienna philharmonic !! it will be very expensive probably."

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

That looks like quite an intimate venue! How many seats are we talking here? It will sell out in seconds... :(

Melbourne to Austria is only about 24 hours with 1 stop. 

It looks quite small, narrow hall but I think there are about 1700 seats and maybe few hundred standing places. Best hall I ever performed and it looks awesome. Too bad I'll lose again in the fight for the tickets...