John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

Tickets ordered for Kalman. 

I can order 2 more for Saturday and Sunday pre sale today. 

I have 2 left balcony tickets, box 4 spare if anyone misses general sale tomorrow.

On 28/05/2018 at 11:15 AM, fililando said:

Anyone here has experience with the organbalkon? It's 35 but it seems like there is no visibility at all..

Front row should be fine I guess, the acoustics should be good enough and I imagine you should at least see Williams up front, even if you'll miss the rear section of the orchestra. The rear row, especially in the corner next to the organ, will probably require you to stand.

On 28/05/2018 at 11:26 AM, Tigreg said:

When you've missed London and you're desperate, compared to the prices and risks at viagogo and so on, that is worth going for!

But let's be honest, when you know RAH that is an outstanding hall and you compare the original prices, something is definitely wrong....

The Musikverein is famous for its acoustics. The RAH is somewhat infamous for its troubled acoustics (though I've found it fine the three times I've been there). You CAN make the Musikverein sound bad, mind you, especially if you play too loud, but I imagine the fact that Williams has never conducted here before should be offset by it being the Philharmoniker's home.

It is expensive, certainly, even for Philharmoniker standards. I wasn't really expecting anything higher than €200. But this is a once (twice) in a lifetime thing, so I still got a top category ticket for Saturday and a "cheaper" (€90) one for Sunday (still a very good balcony seat).

Hope everyone else got the tickets they want!

A friend of mine who is member of the Musikverein alone hoarded 8 tickets, so i wouldn't be too optimistic - or hitting reload from 08:55 onwards.

Thanks to a very generous soul I managed to buy 6 tickets next to each other for the Saturday concert. This feels absolutely unreal to me, gonna see a living legend irl for the first time, in my homecountry!

And it's finally an appropriate time for me to quote this post from the RAH thread:

On 16.2.2018 at 11:26 AM, Alex said:

If JW even thinks about dying before October 26th... I'll kill him

18 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Front row should be fine I guess, the acoustics should be good enough and I imagine you should at least see Williams up front, even if you'll miss the rear section of the orchestra. The rear row, especially in the corner next to the organ, will probably require you to stand.

Thank you! I bought another one because I was too worried (The organ ledge seems to cover the stage even if you are in front row..at least from the 3D image of the place). 

2 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

I have tickets for both Vienna concerts, which means I'll see Williams live three times in one week. Madness! :)

me too! And at the hollywood bowl on 1st september too! I can't wait..

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

@hornist But... why? I was actually thinking of you, thinking that ”yeah, it’s good that Hornist’ll finallåt be able to get tickets.”

There are still tickets available. Just go for it, man!

Actually I may not be able to have this Vienna week free from my job, since I got the previous week free. And these(Vienna/London) concerts were kinda back up concerts, I just saw JW in chicago but considering his age you never know...

I happen to be in London previous week, still hoping to get a ticket for the RAH concert😍😍😍

I look forward to hearing it in concert, I think it will complement RAH nicely.

But as a stand alone Blu-ray feature... I doubt that this would be a best seller.

Why not? It would be John Williams' first blu-ray with a concert fully conducted by him. In addition, recorded with one of the best, most respected orchestras in the world. For me, this is a very serious candidate for a bestseller.

I agree. After all, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for both Williams and the orchestra and so I really, really hope that eventually, the concert becomes available either as a CD, a blu-ray, or both.

Yes, it’d be nice to have as a physical release...

...but I don’t see The BFG, Memoirs of a Geisha and Elegy (you could maybe even even add The Last Jedi to this trio) making copies flying off the shelves into the arms of the general public. Only to a select few.

Sonetimes it’s not about how good the material is, but how known it is.

Maybe there’ll be a limited release. I agree to the CD comment - that’d be sweet.

But even according to the program, which probably is not yet complete (the concerts would be short then), Close Encounters of the Third Kind, ET., and Indiana Jones will also be performed. And let's not forget about encores! Maybe Williams will conduct something from Harry Potter, you can expect that there will be a new arrangement of Han Solo and the Princess... In addition, there will be two concerts, both recorded, so it’s quite possible that the programs will differ slightly, so that the final release can be longer than a single concert. I'm sure that both Williams and people from Vienna Philharmonic are aware of the importance of the event.

I also hope that concert in Royal Albert Hall will be recorded. It will be huge!

17 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

In addition, there will be two concerts, both recorded, so it’s quite possible that the programs will differ slightly, so that the final release can be longer than a single concert.

In my experience, releases of live concerts are typically *shorter* than the actual concert, leaving off pieces either for rights issues, or because those responsible were not happy with the performances of certain pieces, or because the full concert is too long to fit on the CD.

On 6/1/2018 at 8:05 AM, Pawel P. said:

But even according to the program, which probably is not yet complete (the concerts would be short then), Close Encounters of the Third Kind, ET., and Indiana Jones will also be performed. And let's not forget about encores! Maybe Williams will conduct something from Harry Potter, you can expect that there will be a new arrangement of Han Solo and the Princess... In addition, there will be two concerts, both recorded, so it’s quite possible that the programs will differ slightly, so that the final release can be longer than a single concert. I'm sure that both Williams and people from Vienna Philharmonic are aware of the importance of the event.

I also hope that concert in Royal Albert Hall will be recorded. It will be huge!

I agree the program shown on the website can’t be complete.

According to the Musikverein FB page, they’re playing Harry Potter! 

0545A06C-1630-495A-BFED-316FB4C175F4.jpeg

By the way, a least one person involved in the organisation of these concerts must be a fan: All tickets for the Saturday concert carry the number "1138", and all tickets for Sunday "1977".

• 2 months later...

CD for sure!

please do Han Solo and the Princess and Highwood's Ghost for encore😭😭😭

John Williams + Wiener Philharmoniker = My life is complete 😭

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It could be just a picture disc with stills from the concert, though.

In this special case I might even buy that.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the official program:

https://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/concerts/concert-detail/event-id/9889

Olympic Fanfare and Theme
Ausschnitte aus "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"
Suite aus "Memoirs of a Geisha"
Adventures on Earth aus "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial"

-- Pause --

The Flight to Neverland aus "Hook"
A Child’s Tale: Suite from "The BFG"
Hedwig’s Theme from "Harry Potter"
Nimbus 2000 aus "Harry Potter"
Harry's Wondrous World aus "Harry Potter"
The Rebellion Is Reborn aus "Star Wars - The Last Jedi"
Rey's Theme aus "Star Wars - The Force Awakens"
Main Title from "Star Wars"

14 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

Hedwig’s Theme from "Harry Potter"
Nimbus 2000 aus "Harry Potter"
Harry's Wondrous World aus "Harry Potter"

Obligatory "Has he revisited them recently in the context of an expansion that made him want to play them again?" comment.