John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So what's a good place for post concert drinks?

Café Sacher?

Café Imperial is closest by...

36 minutes ago, rough cut said:

She played “over” the orchestra in Munich.

That was rather... awkward.

36 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So what's a good place for post concert drinks?

There's Gmoakeller behind Konzerthaus, which I mentioned above. There's a Serbian restaurant that's good for food/drinks and open till late (though that's perhaps not so relevant for these early concerts) about 10-15 minutes (on foot) from the Musikverein. And a bit closer than that there's an Irish pub that we often end up at as the last stop after these kinds of concerts, though it's a bit on the loud side and you can't get too many people in there without probably having to split them up in smaller groups. Maurizio and Peio know the place I'm talking about.

Something else I would like to ask...is it true they have sold the Circle (front three rows) tickets in the Musikverein? Because they would not be available due to extension of the podium...if anyone can confirm and want to swap their circle tickets please pm me!! Thanks

22 minutes ago, MSM said:

Something else I would like to ask...is it true they have sold the Circle (front three rows) tickets in the Musikverein?

Looks like:

On 1/5/2020 at 12:57 AM, Gurkensalat said:

Hm, on my ticket I read „Cercle Rechts, Reihe I, Platz 2“. So I guess, the first rows are not reserved.

I think I've also heard of someone else who was on the waiting list and got a Cercle seat.

3 hours ago, MSM said:

Sorry if I missed it...been away for a while. Is there a JWFan gathering plan like the wonderful one in London?

Nothing definite so far, so I think we'll have to settle for a spontaneous gathering. I'd love it if someone actually counted the people and booked a place, but there haven't been any volunteers to do that.

35 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's what JW listens to during his journey to Europe, on his portable gramophone.

Doesn't he have like 23 gramophones now?  

2 hours ago, Will said:

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I thought this was super cool!!! (particularly given what orchestra it is) :)

image.png

image.png

(These are from the Chicago Symphony's Instagram account - the bottom-most photo, at least, can be accessed publicly here

Good to see he is already in Vienna and in a good mood.

I will arrive tomorrow late afternoon so I might go to other performances tomorrow evening and friday. Williams looks in good shape and ready to give us a marvelous show! 

12 minutes ago, JTGL said:

I will arrive tomorrow late afternoon so I might go to other performances tomorrow evening and friday. Williams looks in good shape and ready to give us a marvelous show! 

My guess is that these days they'll be rehearsing with VSO for the concerts

9 minutes ago, St0rMl0rD said:

My guess is that these days they'll be rehearsing with VSO for the concerts

Yes I think so too! 

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I wonder what Muti thinks about JW's music. Har he ever performed any of it? As far as I know, he hasn't recorded a single note.

I don't think Muti has ever performed JW. However, he has recorded Rota and Prokofiev (Ivan the Terrible), so he is definitely open-minded about film music. I would be very curious to hear a JW-Muti recording!

1 hour ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Muti is my favourite living conductor. His Tchaikovsky suite recordings are magisterial. He should definitely conduct Williams' music as well.

Also, Muti is the greatest Verdi conductor, he loves operas, and would probably enjoy conducting JW's "operatic" scores. I wonder if Muti has ever had the time or a chance to get acquainted with JW's work in some depth. 

Gmoakeller is great -- although a bit "claustrophobic" in the window-less basement where we had our Horner gathering years ago.

As I've said elsewhere, it's now 100% certain that I won't make this. I'm (obviously) gutted about this, but I hope to experience the event through your eyes -- both the concert and the pre/post-concert get-togethers. So I'm hoping for a plethora of pictures, reports and videos once you get back! :)

Meanwhile, I have my own John Williams event to attend to here in Norway on Saturday, and I'll create a thread about that once it's over.

1 hour ago, Pawel P. said:

I had a dream last night [...]

It's a totally surreal situation [...]

Thanks for sharing your amazing dream - I had several interesting dreams relating to John Williams, after our first encounter (literally!) in London in 1996 - I "met" him several times again in fantasy as well as London locations and talked to him in my dreams. *smile*

Anyway - will we see each other after the concert?

In any case, I like your avatar, Pawel - it was one of my earlier, treasured albums; listened to it over and over again right after it came out - and I adore the cover artwork by Drew, my favourite poster artist; even did a blow-up/poster of sorts from it, right in the early 90s. ;)

Martin

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

He's going to have a little photo shooting in the Golden Hall during the intermission.

Nice! We will be there! (Goldener Saal? Im Saal?)

Haha, for a second I thought you meant the *real* John Williams. (our daughter would have liked that - but I'm sure she will be delighted to have our picture taken with your special creation! And you :-D)

Oh, I've been having nightmares, actually. Dreamt that I woke up in my apartment, realized that I had overslept, and that the concert had already begun. I was running through the streets of Vienna, trying to find the Musikverein, while naturally Holiday Flight was playing the whole time.

Lol you guys must be really, and I mean REALLY excited for this concert ;)

Anyway, this is what I'm gonna be feeling this saturday afternoon:

tenor.gif

I'm probably gonna be crying through the whole Jurassic Park performance...

1 hour ago, heidl said:

Lol you guys must be really, and I mean REALLY excited for this concert ;)

Anyway, this is what I'm gonna be feeling this saturday afternoon:

tenor.gif

I'm probably gonna be crying through the whole Jurassic Park performance...

Same, same..