John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

3 hours ago, Remco said:

No, the orchestra plays exactly the tempo that Williams gives them in the opening bar yet he doesn’t keep up with his own tempo and then is late in giving his cue to the horns.

Regardless, it’s no secret that Williams tempo stability has become worse in recent years (when he’s not conducting to picture).

Well, the Philharmoniker were happier with him as a conductor than with many of their famous regular conductors.

No love for Australien from JPC, it seems ('Derzeit keine Lieferungen in das ausgewählte Land möglich'). Hoping it will be available at other stores.

Special arrangement of the Raiders March? That's bull, right?  At the Tanglewood concert, wasn't she just standing up, miked, playing the first violin part on the standard arrangement?  Did something different happen in Vienna?

Ordered, naturally.

Really cool that they're releasing this as both a CD and a BD. : )

Looking forward to re-living this, such an amazing weekend. I was there for both performances. I'd seen the maestro perform live once before, in LA in 2016, but you can't really compare the venues.

9 hours ago, Martinland said:

Yes, I am giddy as well! \o/ But I see no DVD? :-/

How am I supposed to rip/convert this then?

*sigh* Sooo close...

(should I order something I cannot even read out let alone play?)

Same for me...

I was so excited to read the news yesterday ! Especially since it was my birthday :) But what a disappointment :/

Some suggested that I buy a blu-ray reader, but what for ? I would have no other use of it. And that would make the souvenir very expansive :s Moreover, watch a blu-ray with my equipment would be like having a ferrari engine in a 4L...
I think I will buy it anyway and borrow a reader once or find someone who could convert it. Or do you think there could be a DVD release later as well ?

Small Blu-ray readers that connect up to your PC or TV go from €50 to €100. It's a great investment, because the video and sound quality upgrade is very noticeable, and DVDs are being phased out anyway. 

A small external drive is just that, though, a drive, you need processing power and most of all software to actually play stuff. TVs don't even recognise what you plugged in. If I'd want to watch blus in the living room I'd have to carry out my laptop, external drive and likely the power cable, and use an HDMI cable.

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Well, the Philharmoniker were happier with him as a conductor than with many of their famous regular conductors.

I can imagine why, but that doesn’t make him a technically perfect conductor.

13 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Cut him some slack, will you? He conducts at 88 better than Herrmann at 64. And at some point music is more than timings and perfection anyway. It's about the connection between the conductor, the orchestra, and the audience. These connections were splendid, and the performances were a great success. That's all that matters.

Oh come on, I love Williams to death and I only want him to do well. The concerts were fantastic, yes. But I’m just being realistic, he’s just not as good as a conductor as he was before. It’s not strange that at 88 your body can’t quite communicate your inner feelings as well anymore. 

Surprised there hasn’t been an official announcement from Deutsche Grammophon yet

7 hours ago, igger6 said:

Special arrangement of the Raiders March? That's bull, right?  At the Tanglewood concert, wasn't she just standing up, miked, playing the first violin part on the standard arrangement?  Did something different happen in Vienna?

Same at Vienna. Seems to be a mistake

8 hours ago, igger6 said:

The blurb was clearly written by someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. I suspect even the mis-translated film titles ("Great White Shark") are not the result of a translation software but of a clueless marketing person.

I just hope they didn't specially mike Mutter and single her out in the mix. With the live acoustics, she was just a part of the regular violin section. It would be a shame if they ruined the march on the release by adding a noticeable solo violin.

One bit worries me: It doesn't actually say anywhere that even the limited release will contain the full concert. They might still drop cues for whatever reason. At least the Devil's Dance (the only previously unreleased piece in the programme) is confirmed. But whoever has the capability should record the ServusTV broadcast as well. "Just in cases".

5 hours ago, Holko said:

A small external drive is just that, though, a drive, you need processing power and most of all software to actually play stuff. TVs don't even recognise what you plugged in. If I'd want to watch blus in the living room I'd have to carry out my laptop, external drive and likely the power cable, and use an HDMI cable.

I mainly use my drive for ripping the audio off music Blu-rays. There's still no ready to use Blu player software for Linux, as far as I know (as good as the format is technically, it still sucks as far as policies and encryption are concerned), but there are tools that can rip stuff, and relatively extract and convert the audio to FLAC, which I can then store in my regular collection along with my CD rips.

11 minutes ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Ah - so a lot of Mutter missing. I would’ve liked The Duel and Potter and perhaps Cinderella Liberty to be on there too. Grateful for a BD release now 

41 minutes ago, tmarps said:

Ah - so a lot of Mutter missing. I would’ve liked The Duel and Potter and perhaps Cinderella Liberty to be on there too. Grateful for a BD release now 

Probably going to be about 127 different releases of the set announced between now and the release date, I wouldn't be too concerned.

6 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Wait, so all the non-Mutter tracks are on the CD?

Yes, apart from "Devils Dance" which was not released before. And strangely "Raiders March", which makes no sense to credit ASM because she just played the Violin I part.

40 minutes ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

And strangely "Raiders March", which makes no sense to credit ASM because she just played the Violin I part.

They have altered the part. Pray they don't alter it any further.

1 hour ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Yes, apart from "Devils Dance" which was not released before. And strangely "Raiders March", which makes no sense to credit ASM because she just played the Violin I part.

Hmm, I just might buy this then.

7 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Here's the official confirmation for the broadcast date which Marian mentioned already before:

https://presse.servustv.com/news-montag-01-juni-um-10-uhr-und-um-2210-uhr-von-star-wars-bis-harry-potter-john-williams-dirigiert-die-wiener-philharmoniker?id=104990&menueid=12501&l=deutschland

The concert will be broadcast on ServusTV, Monday 1st of June at 10:00 and 22:10 (CET). 

Just to be sure - is this Servus German or Austrian? Or both?

53 minutes ago, carlborg said:

Just to be sure - is this Servus German or Austrian? Or both?

It's an Austrian TV channel, but you can also watch it in Germany. It is owned by RedBull and freely available. 

Edit: People who can't get ServusTV in their countries could try their luck with a VPN and the ServusTV live stream. Hopefully, the concert won't be blacked out from the stream and the stream doesn't get overwhelmed. 

On 5/2/2020 at 11:58 AM, Pieter Boelen said:

Ah, so most of the tracks are the regular orchestral versions then?

Too bad.

I was quite curious to hear a Mutter Imperial March.

That's already three people I managed to confuse.

But what is there to be confused by?

Or is the idea of a violin Imperial March just TOO crazy?

To be fair... It IS quite nutty!

And I have no clue what it'd sound like.

Or if it could even be made to work at all.

But that's why I'm curious about it.

If anyone can work that magic, John Williams can!

14 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Interesting how the Amazon picture says "John Williams in Vienna," without the "live" that was in the earlier image in this thread.

The "John Williams live in Vienna" seems to be only on the Bluray/Deluxe Ed. and "John Williams in Vienna" for the CD and Vinyl.

5 hours ago, aj_vader said:

Apparently the full video of The Imperial March will be online tomorrow! :)

Then we might get the official announcement by DG tomorrow... not that it'd be necessary anymore ;) Interestingly, they added the short clip of the audience in the beginning... that wasnt there in the original Facebook video. And in the ClassicFM article it says the full album is coming on 7 August and not 14 August :blink:

Just listened back to the broadcast that Classic FM "premiered" the Imperial March on. The Imperial March sounds great - even in low res radio streaming. However, the opening applause and cheers have disappeared from the recording. The snare drum late entry is still there from the Sunday performance, so I'm wondering why the eruption of applause at the opening of the piece is missing... maybe this was one of the re-recordings in the "patch-up" sessions after the concert. Sounds good though, despite being maybe just slightly underspeed. Ending is phenomenal, love the rall in the last bar. No applause at the end either.... interesting 

12 minutes ago, tmarps said:

Just listened back to the broadcast that Classic FM "premiered" the Imperial March on. The Imperial March sounds great - even in low res radio streaming. However, the opening applause and cheers have disappeared from the recording. The snare drum late entry is still there from the Sunday performance, so I'm wondering why the eruption of applause at the opening of the piece is missing... maybe this was one of the re-recordings in the "patch-up" sessions after the concert. Sounds good though, despite being maybe just slightly underspeed. Ending is phenomenal, love the rall in the last bar. No applause at the end either.... interesting 

How can you listen to it?

7 minutes ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

How can you listen to it?

Global’s (company that own Classic FM as well as basically every other commercial radio station) catch up player - Bill Turnbull’s show from today (3 May)

10 minutes ago, tmarps said:

Global’s (company that own Classic FM as well as basically every other commercial radio station) catch up player - Bill Turnbull’s show from today (3 May)

Thanks!

On 5/1/2020 at 1:23 PM, rough cut said:

People complaining over the BD

Luckily nobody is complaining about

Blu-rays, we are complaining about the

lack of the announced (!) DVD - slight difference. ;)

On 5/1/2020 at 4:30 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

I mainly use my drive for ripping the audio off music Blu-rays

I might come back to that - if I may - and if at all necessary.

I will have a TV recording, a CD, and a Blu-ray to create

my own (Double-)DVD release of the full concert...

5 minutes ago, Biodome said:

Is the video geoblocked, or was it just taken down?

Works for me (I live in Finland) without any problem. Might not work for you if it isn't already 4th day in your timezone.

2 minutes ago, Timo Martikainen said:

Works for me (I live in Finland) without any problem. Might not work for you if it isn't already 4th day in your timezone.

Ahh, guess I'll try and wait that half hour then.