John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

the audio in the video is not optimal quality. It's better to take a short listen and wait for the c.d. eventually

Why does he skip some sections of Luke and Leia?

Watched whole concert today from the Servus tv  archive link with my VPN. This time no problem. Often broadcasters are doing all they can technically to stop using a country's IP addresses from outside the  country. Fortunately these tech companies just find another way around .

4 hours ago, King Mark said:

Why does he skip some sections of Luke and Leia?

He's been performing this abridged version for quite some time. When he did that at Tanglewood last year I was bit confused.

Karol

I'm going to hold off until the Bluray and blast it in my home theater. Will be the closest I ever get to attending the concert itself.

I think I'll wait until the Blu-ray to see the entire concert but I did take a look at the broadcast and thought I saw @Marian Schedenig and @scissorhands in the crowd. :) 

Yes all the big celebrities have one or two of those. Now I wonder if that guy on the podium was the real John Williams.

I can't wait for the Blu-ray where I can try to spot my favourite JW fans frame-by-frame.

Here's me and two friends of mine:

image.thumb.png.c6fa9c88374474a8dff98420331ba7ba.png

If there are any more Saturday shots from that camera tilted a bit more upwards to show the balcony, they'll show an Austrian ex-president and an Austrian ex-chancellor.

Most other shots are from Sunday though. You can frequently see @MSM happily staring at Williams' butt.

16 hours ago, crocodile said:

He's been performing this abridged version for quite some time. When he did that at Tanglewood last year I was bit confused.

Karol

I'm interested, is the abridged version the published one?

The version published in 1983 matched the OST.  I don't know if they later replaced it with the shorter version he began performing in the 2000s.

5 hours ago, thx99 said:

Here are @Miguel Andrade and @Romão, in all their 720p glory...

image.png

I'm in this picture too. :lol:

Me and John Williams in the same place. Fucking insane! Still can't believe.

Karol

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I'm in this picture too. :lol:

Me and John Williams in the same place. Fucking insane! Still can't believe.

There's never been anything on TV that showed so many people I knew personally. It'll be fun to spot more faces once the Blu is out.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

The version published in 1983 matched the OST.  I don't know if they later replaced it with the shorter version he began performing in the 2000s.

The version available on Hal Leonard is the full original version, luckily for us.

I believe this shorter version originated for the Star Wars In Concert tour back in 2009, where the piece was accompanying a montage of clips from the original six films. For some reason, JW stuck with it since then. For the Mutter violin arrangement however, he went back to the full version.

6 hours ago, TownerFan said:

The version available on Hal Leonard is the full original version, luckily for us.

I believe this shorter version originated for the Star Wars In Concert tour back in 2009, where the piece was accompanying a montage of clips from the original six films. For some reason, JW stuck with it since then. For the Mutter violin arrangement however, he went back to the full version.

To be fair, it is a bit on the lengthier side...usually around 5 minutes or so (the Utah Symphony/Varujan Kojian recording is just under six minutes).  Perhaps he uses the shorter version for live events, where concert length is a real concern, as there are strict rules as to when musicians are entitled to be paid overtime if a concert runs long?

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Most other shots are from Sunday though. You can frequently see @MSM happily staring at Williams' butt.

@MSM indeed had quite the seat!!! Amazing!

8 hours ago, Matt S. said:

To be fair, it is a bit on the lengthier side...usually around 5 minutes or so (the Utah Symphony/Varujan Kojian recording is just under six minutes).  Perhaps he uses the shorter version for live events, where concert length is a real concern, as there are strict rules as to when musicians are entitled to be paid overtime if a concert runs long?

I think sometime he just forgets what version he's playing ;) Jokes apart, the most logical explanation is that the shorter version is what is kept in the JAKMS library (they do music prep for all JW concerts) and that's what is sent out to orchestras when JW is conducting.

I'm fairly sure it was originally made for the Star Wars In Concert series back in the late '00s. The bars that were cut (a couple bars in the opening prelude with the flutes, a couple more in the mini-development section in the middle and a few more in the coda) probably made sense in the logic of accompanying a film montage and for some reason JW stuck with this version whenever he performs it live. However, the Hal Leonard published version (authorized by JW) is fortunately the full version with those bars intact, so whenever any other orchestra or conductor wants to perform it, it will be this one.

The very same happened with "Hymn to the Fallen", which was shortened for a film clip montage he did in Boston several years ago, and that's what was also recorded on the Spielberg/Williams vol.3 album. But again, the published version on Hal Leonard is the longer original one.

I must say I prefer the cuts at the beginning and the end, since the longer version draws both out a bit much. But the cut in the middle is a bit jarring.

The shortened L&L really bothers me. The middle cut almost breaks the piece for me.

16 hours ago, thx99 said:

@MSM indeed had quite the seat!!! Amazing!

He had it. And he saw it.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The shortened L&L really bothers me. The middle cut almost breaks the piece for me.

Oh it does break it for me. I find it weird that it doesn't bother JW enough to go back to the original version.

Maybe we have imprinted on the first version we heard, and to an impartial ear the abridged version sounds better... 

7 hours ago, eitam said:

Oh it does break it for me. I find it weird that it doesn't bother JW enough to go back to the original version.

Maybe we have imprinted on the first version we heard, and to an impartial ear the abridged version sounds better... 

Too much editing.

23 hours ago, TownerFan said:

The very same happened with "Hymn to the Fallen", which was shortened for a film clip montage he did in Boston several years ago, and that's what was also recorded on the Spielberg/Williams vol.3 album. But again, the published version on Hal Leonard is the longer original one.

A few years ago "Hymn to the Fallen" was performed by a Portuguese orchestra and the version used was the abridged one. Maybe it had to do with the fact that it was conducted by Esa-Peka Salonen's former assistant conductor in LA, our very own Maestrina Joana Carneiro, and perhaps the score came through JoAnn Kane Music Service instead of a purchase or rental from Hal Leonard.

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Can we also buy a cassette version with an alternate take of JW's message? And a VHS tape with a message from Mutter?

Well, I just want my DVD (CD/DVD have been my media half my life, they surround me) of this magical event, as originally promised by the Vienna Philharmonic. I don't care for high resolution close-ups, just the wonderful audio and good enough video... (the close-ups in PAL would be retina resolution from where we sat and experienced the magic anyway)

On 6/14/2020 at 2:16 PM, eitam said:

OK, I caved in too. And I don't even own a vinyl player. This Vienna thing is still getting more expansive even 6 months after the concert. :rolleyes:

Same here. I thought that it would just be nice to have that vinyl, since the stock won't last for long. The fact that I couldn't currently play it is of least concern to me :D

Yeah, at this point it's more about the memories than about the music :)

And maybe also, at least for me, not knowing when the next JW release will be.