John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

25 minutes ago, crocodile said:

What do you mean?

As far as I recall, Conrad Pope indicated that he did some work on Leia's Theme - and perhaps a few other pieces? I can't remember the details, or where I read that. His Facebook page, possibly?

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

As far as I recall, Conrad Pope indicated that he did some work on Leia's Theme - and perhaps a few other pieces? I can't remember the details, or where I read that. His Facebook page, possibly?

Correct, he basically arranged and adapted that piece for Williams and Sophie. 

40 minutes ago, Amer said:

Correct, he basically arranged and adapted that piece for Williams and Sophie. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't ASM tell a story about the arrangement for Leia's theme not working so JW reworked it at the sessions or something? I recall reading something like that.

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't ASM tell a story about the arrangement for Leia's theme not working so JW reworked it at the sessions or something? I recall reading something like that.

Yes she did.

JW wrote every note of the violin parts on the album.

Maybe it's already been mentioned here, but anyone else notice Amazon's pushed back the cd/blu-ray combo of JW in Vienna to October 2?? The cd-only release still comes out August 14, though. I wonder why the delay?

7 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Maybe it's already been mentioned here, but anyone else notice Amazon's pushed back the cd/blu-ray combo of JW in Vienna to October 2?? The cd-only release still comes out August 14, though. I wonder why the delay?

On 7/17/2020 at 10:36 AM, Mattris said:

I noticed that Amazon pushed back the release of the Blu-Ray set to October 2, 2020.

Hopefully, the producers are taking the additional time to make some improvements, such as picking the best performances (across the two concerts) and polishing the overall sound mix.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:06 AM, Jay said:

The concert video was finished months ago and the stream is the same thing we're getting on disc.  The delay is only due to manufacturing delays of the physical product

6 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Yes, it was mentioned here quite recently. The date change is only at US Amazon. In European stores it'll be available from August 14. (of course, they can still change the date - hopefully not)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087SCCYF1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B087SCCYF1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p51-i0028948390458/john-williams-wiener-philharmoniker-anne-sophie-mutter/john-williams-live-in-vienna-ltd-deluxe-edition-cd-bluray-/index.html

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/john-williams-anne-sophie-mutter-john-williams-in-vienna/hnum/9843487

A UHQCD-MQA version from Japan is listed on Amazon for release on 21. August 2020: "Japanese Ultra-High Quality CD (MQA) pressing. Universal. 2020. "

https://www.amazon.de/John-Williams-Vienna-UHQCD-MQA/dp/B089BMTKFF/

Does anybody have this kind of CD? Is there a distinct difference in sound quality compared to normal CDs?

Edit: Looks like there will be two versions: Deluxe Edition with the UHQCD + Bluray and just the UHQCD CD.

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searches?term.media_format=&q=John+Williams+In+Vienna+

Excellent performance and recording.  I love the energy and craziness of the regular concert version so much that I struggle to connect with this more subdued version.  But, the world is big enough for both.

On 7/23/2020 at 10:43 PM, Madmartigan JC said:

IMO it's even one of the few pieces that benefit from Mutter's 'harsh' sound.

It really works with Dracula as well, and probably for the same reason.  

I cannot wait until this gets delivered to me. I'll pop the Blu-Ray in first and watch the concert, then the interviews. Finally, I will listen to the entire CD, and then import said CD into my John Williams Library on Apple Music.

Sorry mate, right now I’m just rewatching it in my mind from attending the concert in person.

That’s probably better than the bootlegs, the youtube-videos and the non-existent DVDs, but until the Blu-ray comes out there’s no way of knowing what’s really the best way to re-experience the magic.

Just do what I do: Hang on in there till the concert is released in physical media. 😉

3 hours ago, BB-8 said:

I do like John's personal message!

The privilege of conducting the esteemed Vienna Philharmonic at the Musikverein was, for me, the honor of a lifetime. I was particularly impressed with the magnificent acoustics of the Great Hall, which are so justly renowned and so beautifully captured in Deutsche Grammophon's splendid recording of these concerts. I was also very touched by the generosity and hospitality of the members of this great orchestra, all of whom performed this music with brilliance and enthusiasm. 

In these challenging days, when musicians and audiences around the world cannot come together to share the pleasures of music-making in person, I look back on these very special concerts with great fondness, and I hope that these recordings might give listeners and viewers some measure of the joy I experienced in visiting beautiful Vienna.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:13 PM, Bespin said:

I'm currently watching the German broadcast of the Vienna concert... finally.

WHAT A PERFORMANCE FOR E.T.!!!

I had tears in my eyes, and God knowns how many time I listened to this piece before.

WOW!

I cannot stop dwelling on this comment. I want to hear that E.T. performance so badly. I may be in actual physical pain.

18 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The privilege of conducting the esteemed Vienna Philharmonic at the Musikverein was, for me, the honor of a lifetime. I was particularly impressed with the magnificent acoustics of the Great Hall, which are so justly renowned and so beautifully captured in Deutsche Grammophon's splendid recording of these concerts. I was also very touched by the generosity and hospitality of the members of this great orchestra, all of whom performed this music with brilliance and enthusiasm. 

In these challenging days, when musicians and audiences around the world cannot come together to share the pleasures of music-making in person, I look back on these very special concerts with great fondness, and I hope that these recordings might give listeners and viewers some measure of the joy I experienced in visiting beautiful Vienna.

A beautiful message from the Maestro. Dang, I cannot wait to see and hear this concert!

I noticed that the video of the whole concert is now available on Apple Music as a visual album so if someone here have a subscription, then you should be able to watch it :)

3 hours ago, JWFan009 said:

I noticed that the video of the whole concert is now available on Apple Music as a visual album so if someone here have a subscription, then you should be able to watch it :)

Just noticed this too!! Great!

Beautiful performance.

ASM really seems to have settled on the stylistic choices she made for the recording of Across the Stars down to every little detail. I don't hear noticeable differences betweeen this live performance and the studio recording in that regard. I don't mean this is a bad thing. On the contrary, it speaks to how minutely she appears to have digested Williams arrangements.

On the other hand I expected to hear some variations, especially in the cadenzas. Not that there's anything wrong, just that having both recordings so close to each other seems to me a bit redundant at times, beyond the exceptional gift that was the context of this particular concert.

On 8/6/2020 at 3:47 AM, BB-8 said:

https://www.facebook.com/UMHKushop/videos/john-williams-in-vienna-2x-gold-colored-vinyl/2605595786348810/?__so__=permalink&__rv__=related_videos

Some of us may have made it to the cover of the Gold Editions?

I do like John's personal message!

17 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Well yes, but that's a video, I posted a high-res picture ;) :P 

Actually, in the video it has gold discs, the pic I got off Amazon is black, so haha!  :lol:

John Williams in Vienna (Ltd. Golden 2LP) von John Williams/Wiener Philharmoniker/Anne-Sophie Mutter - 2LP jetzt im Deutsche Grammophon Shop

17 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Well yes, but that's a video, I posted a high-res picture ;) :P 

Actually, in the video it has gold discs, the pic I got off Amazon is black, so haha!  :lol:

Ouch!

2 hours ago, toothless said:

Just got an email from JPCn my order is on its way (Blu-ray) :w00t:

Got single CD and Deluxe CD+Bluray notification from JPC yesterday, and standard Vinyl notification today! :cheer:

I am checking my letter box every 5 minutes. :drool:

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

Got single CD and Deluxe CD+Bluray notification from JPC yesterday, and standard Vinyl notification today! :cheer:

I am checking my letter box every 5 minutes. :drool:

(You).. Have All the Time In the World...

Got a text that my copy of the regular vinyl release is ready for pick up at the local store I ordered it from. Should get it tomorrow, one day ahead of the actual release! I think it will be a first to me :)

Still no dispatch notice on the on-line orders though.

Wait, I thought the CD + Blu-ray release was pushed out to October?  I pre-ordered both the standard CD release and the CD + BR release on Amazon.  Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

Wait, I thought the CD + Blu-ray release was pushed out to October?  I pre-ordered both the standard CD release and the CD + BR release on Amazon.  Am I missing something?

In Germany it will be released this friday. Deutsche Grammophon is a german company, as the name suggests :)

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

The premiere of this release hasn't been postponed in Europe.

19 minutes ago, Steve said:

In Germany it will be released this friday. Deutsche Grammophon is a german company, as the name suggests :)

I was aware they're a German company but unaware of the lack of delay there, lucky! :)

Is anyone springing for the UHQCD-MQA version?  Seems pretty exorbitant to me.

https://www.amazon.com/John-Williams-Vienna-UHQCD-MQA/dp/B089BHZYDH/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=john+williams+vienna&qid=1597238372&s=music&sr=1-3