John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 11:30 AM, Holko said:

Well... This is actually a bloody great concert for the overwhelming majority for the time. I didn't even notice what my problem was with the SW Main Title.

Yeah, the CD takes a lot away from the concert experience.

On 8/18/2020 at 1:35 PM, tmarps said:

John Williams isn’t slowing down the tempo for his health.. he still conducts fast tempi on OSTs etc. Just my thoughts are that the Vienna Philharmonic are so unfamiliar with the pieces that slow and together (yes, together) was a better option than fast and the pieces completely fall apart and then with no way to get the orchestra back together. The Vienna Philharmonic’s lack of familiarity with the pieces was the main factor that constituted to the slower tempo choices, not Williams being “old”. In my opinion. 

It certainly sounds like that's the case in several instances.

13 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

What is weak with these pieces? Perhaps you just dońt like the arrangement for AS Mutter? Especially Devils dance is excellent!

Well Cinderella Liberty and Donnybrook Fair were poor choices for this concert comparing to the timeless stuff like CE3K or WarHorse. And its always stupid to put Raiders march and Marions theme in the same concert because of the repeat of the marions theme. Same with the Leia's theme  and the main title in the suite where it comes again. 

ASM's playing in those pieces is not the problem, the music itself is just too.... light. The problem with the player comes with the more deep pieces. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

They should have gotten John Williams the guitarist instead.

The Days Between from "Stepmom"

Composer: John Williams

Conductor: John Williams

Soloist: John Williams

Marion's Theme to me was the moment of the greatest beauty in this concert. This was the theme I was most looking forwards to hearing performed by the VPO strings. I can easily see why Williams decided to add it despite already having a bit of Marion's Theme in Raiders March.

2 hours ago, Albus Percival Wulfric said:

Marion's Theme to me was the moment of the greatest beauty in this concert. This was the theme I was most looking forwards to hearing performed by the VPO strings. I can easily see why Williams decided to add it despite already having a bit of Marion's Theme in Raiders March.

I was thinking that the Love Theme from Superman would have been absolutely GLORIOUS with the VPO's strings and horns (and not redundant like Marion's Theme, since they didn't play the March from Superman).  Here's to John Williams in Vienna, Vol.2!

Instead of "Donnybrook Fair" I would have preferred the Far and Away arrangement from the Perlam album. Marion's Theme fit quite well. A deserved rest for the brass section. I was happy that it wasn't the ASM version though.

On 9/21/2020 at 10:25 PM, Albus Percival Wulfric said:

OMG just imagine:

and imagine the complaints about VPO "falling apart" while playing the oriental Short Round's Theme in counterpoint :lol:

Or how about an Indy 5 teaser?

Hi,

I just received my order from Amazon of this amazing concert on Blu-ray/CD.  I would love to be able to listen to the whole concert on my phone.  Is it possible to rip one of the audio tracks?  I have a Blu-ray drive in my PC and can see the files in Windows Explorer.

I am sure there is copy protection on the files but there is probably a way around this.

I checked the forum rules and I did not see mention of something like this being against the rules but if it is then please let me know and/or mods, please delete this!

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Oceadge said:

Hi,

I just received my order from Amazon of this amazing concert on Blu-ray/CD.  I would love to be able to listen to the whole concert on my phone.  Is it possible to rip one of the audio tracks?  I have a Blu-ray drive in my PC and can see the files in Windows Explorer.

I am sure there is copy protection on the files but there is probably a way around this.

I checked the forum rules and I did not see mention of something like this being against the rules but if it is then please let me know and/or mods, please delete this!

Thanks.

Here's how I've done it: get the Blu-ray file of the concert, and use MakeMKV to convert it to an MKV file - but only export the 24/96 stereo audio track (this is the only one you will need). Open this MKV in VLC and use the convert/stream function to convert the MKV file (containing the video and 24/96 stereo audio track) into a WAV audio file (my one was about 3GB in total). From there, split and separate the tracks as you please, and convert it to your preferred format (Apple Lossless for me).

1 hour ago, Archive Collection said:

Here's how I've done it: get the Blu-ray file of the concert, and use MakeMKV to convert it to an MKV file - but only export the 24/96 stereo audio track (this is the only one you will need). Open this MKV in VLC and use the convert/stream function to convert the MKV file (containing the video and 24/96 stereo audio track) into a WAV audio file (my one was about 3GB in total). From there, split and separate the tracks as you please, and convert it to your preferred format (Apple Lossless for me).

Wow, thank you so much :-)

16 minutes ago, theBT said:

btw many asked for more film music to be performed by the VPO but it won't happen. HZ will not enter to the podium with his fucking guitar Inception like or any other mediocre composer.

"More film music" and "Hans Zimmer" are not the same thing by a far shot.

16 minutes ago, theBT said:

They wanted JW and that is it. 

They've played Maurice Jarre last week.

17 hours ago, theBT said:

Tell me more

A suite from Doctor Zhivago conducted by Valery Gergiev at the annual open air "Sommernachtskonzert". I haven't heard it myself.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

A suite from Doctor Zhivago conducted by Valery Gergiev at the annual open air "Sommernachtskonzert". I haven't heard it myself.

I saw it on TV. Aren't these open air concerts usually little bit lighter than their normal stuff? Well, Zhivago was full of waltzes😀

2 hours ago, theBT said:

I saw it on TV. Aren't these open air concerts usually little bit lighter than their normal stuff? Well, Zhivago was full of waltzes😀

Light in a similar way as the New Year's Concerts, only without the focus on the Strauß dynasty. But that's how they first performed Williams as well.

Delayed yet again. Amazon now says it will be in stock on Oct. 28; my pre-order will apparently arrive between Oct. 8 and 23. What the heck?!?

5 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Delayed yet again. Amazon now says it will be in stock on Oct. 28; my pre-order will apparently arrive between Oct. 8 and 23. What the heck?!?

Why don't you order from another web store?

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's weird, Amazons tells me mine will be "Arriving tomorrow by 9 PM"

Maybe they immediately ran out of stock because they didn't get enough and you were one of the lucky ones. Somebody somewhere really underestimated how well this would sell.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why don't you order from another web store?

If there is an online store that ships in the US that will let me receive it quicker, then I would. I always get regular online orders via Amazon, and normally on time.

11 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

If there is an online store that ships in the US that will let me receive it quicker, then I would. I always get regular online orders via Amazon, and normally on time.

I purchased from prestomusic.co.uk after the initial batch sold out. Received it a few weeks ago.