Jump to content

John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020 w/ CD & Blu-ray coming August 14 2020


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

This has probably been asked before, but what exactly are we getting on Monday? The exact concert as it will be released?

Not exactly sure. The broadcast (without commercial break) is around 95 minutes long. The concerts lasted around 2.5 hours with a break of 25 minutes in between. I expect a few tracks will be missing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some fact snippets I gathered from people who talked to people (in the orchestra etc.):   - The Philharmoniker were big fans of Williams as a conductor and specifically pointed out his sensi

In this topic, there has already been some speculation about WP seating on JW concerts and we had a good chat of our own with @Marian Schedenig so I decided to ask my friend who plays double bass in t

38 minutes ago, Steve said:

Not exactly sure. The broadcast (without commercial break) is around 95 minutes long. The concerts lasted around 2.5 hours with a break of 25 minutes in between. I expect a few tracks will be missing.

 

Both concerts lasted 165 minutes, including a 15-minute break. This gives about 2.5 hours of the concert itself and I suppose BluRay will have this length.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

 

Both concerts lasted 165 minutes, including a 15-minute break. This gives about 2.5 hours of the concert itself and I suppose BluRay will have this length.

The breaks were longer than 15 minutes. The net concert time was over two hours, surely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve said:

The breaks were longer than 15 minutes. The net concert time was over two hours, surely.

 

Let's be precise. On January 18, I recorded 30 seconds of ovation after the last encore, it was 6:15 pm (I just checked it), and the concert started punctually at 3:30 PM. As for the breaks at both concerts, it seems to me that they lasted 15 minutes, because I checked it, but even if it lasted 20 or even 25 minutes, it still gives 145 or 140 minutes of the concert length.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Biodome said:


Perhaps you're used to another recording of it, like the one on the OST album? It's very slow, and meditative, probably so that it could match up with the lazy movements of the Brachiosaurus in the film, and if you've been listening to that a lot, a fast-paced version might seem weird. At first, I was also of the opinion that John Williams speeds it up too much, but I've deliberately switched to the other recordings of the theme in anticipation of the concert (I expected him to conduct it in his usual tempo, which seems to be fast nowadays), and that tempo kinda grew on me, after many, many listens. So the recording from Vienna feels alright to me. It's lively, as it should be, and when I now go back to the OST, that feels too slow and dragged-out.

 

It's absolutely because I'm used to the OST. But it's just personal preference I suppose, and I always think the first part of JP breathes a little better, and gets across that sense of wonder and majesty if it's taken a little slower. When we hit the End Titles section, they can get a move on and I'm happy :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

 

Let's be precise. On January 18, I recorded 30 seconds of ovation after the last encore, it was 6:15 pm (I just checked it), and the concert started punctually at 3:30 PM. As for the breaks at both concerts, it seems to me that they lasted 15 minutes, because I checked it, but even if it lasted 20 or even 25 minutes, it still gives 145 or 140 minutes of the concert length.

 

I put all titles in a playlist and it says 102 minutes. So given tempo differences, add maybe 5 %. Then add the breaks in between the titles. That would make maybe another 20 minutes. So pure concert time will be 2+ hours.

 

As I was at both concerts and checked times, I'm quite sure breaks lasted around 20-25 minutes. My last pic after Imperial March on saturday was shot at 6:17 pm. On sunday, with an 11 am start, I took the last one at 1:40 pm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, but the breaks between compositions, applause and speeches are part of a "pure concert". We'll see when BluRay comes out, but I stay with my belief that Williams was on the conducting podium for 150 minutes. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pawel P. said:

Yes, but the breaks between compositions, applause and speeches are part of a "pure concert". We'll see when BluRay comes out, but I stay with my belief that Williams was on the conducting podium for 150 minutes. :)

After all, the length doesn't matter much as the concerts were fantastic :) Can't wait for tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ciarlese said:

 

After some months I am realising that I am getting angrier and angrier because of such behaviour, that seems to have been much more common than I thought, as this is just one more occasion that I see. A once in a lifetime occasion for many of us became the occasion for few lucky ones to go for the double, which resulted in many of us not getting the chance to buy a ticket.

So many attended both days, and that made impossible for many others to attend at all.

There was no need to be that selfish really.
 

 

 

 

 

 

It's free on Sat tv, 19,2 East, if you have a dish pointing in that direction (which I have :P).

That may only be half the truth. Some people I know only got their 2nd tickets after the saturday concert, because then it seemed that many people sold redundant tickets. Why should they not buy another ticket in such a situation? I had standing tickets one day and paterre tickets the other day. Since it was my first Williams experience in concert, I don't feel bad for going to both concerts. Better a longtime fan than some of the snobs I saw there who only know Star Wars, at best. And even if I hadn't gone to both concerts, how would I know for sure that my tickets would go to another fan instead of some random visitor?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

I absolutely disagree. There is nothing selfish about buying tickets for both concerts of your favorite artist who hasn't performed on your continent for over two decades. Buying more tickets and selling them out at astronomical prices is selfish.

 I agree. seeing the 2 concerts is fine. Scalping tickets is another thing

Link to post
Share on other sites

haha I had forgotten how jarring I found the revised ending of The Rebellion Is Reborn, and the excision of part of the crescendo in Luke & Leia.

 

 

2 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Or you could buy the official release and support these magnificent artists.

 

This, if only because the broadcast omitted Close Encounters, Donnybrook Fair, Devil's Dance, War Horse, Marion's Theme...

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Steve said:

Five tracks missing on the broadcast. 

-Close encounters 

-Donnybrook fair

-Devils Dance

-Dartmoor 1912

-Marion's Theme 

Only annoyed about Dartmoor and CE3K - but those can wait til the album :-) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steve said:

Five tracks missing on the broadcast. 

-Close encounters 

-Donnybrook fair

-Devils Dance

-Dartmoor 1912

-Marion's Theme 

Thanks, not even gonna bother trying to get a copy of this now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Thanks, not even gonna bother trying to get a copy of this now.

Why is that? It was worth it even without these tracks ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Because tehre was not one single reason why these tracks could not have been included, it's just messing with us because they can.

They didn't have more broadcasting time I guess. I'm glad something was missing so I can look foreward to the blue ray release.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ciarlese said:

 

After some months I am realising that I am getting angrier and angrier because of such behaviour, that seems to have been much more common than I thought, as this is just one more occasion that I see. A once in a lifetime occasion for many of us became the occasion for few lucky ones to go for the double, which resulted in many of us not getting the chance to buy a ticket.

So many attended both days, and that made impossible for many others to attend at all.

There was no need to be that selfish really.
 

 

 

 

 

 

It's free on Sat tv, 19,2 East, if you have a dish pointing in that direction (which I have :P).

 

Well boy, am I glad I asked.

 

We're all here out of a great love for John Williams. Please don't be so angry. What does that achieve?

 

I went with my girlfriend and we had an amazing weekend. After I kept saying things like "I just can't believe I'm here.... it's probably never going to happen again," she reminded me that it was indeed happening again.... the following day! So I put myself on the waiting list for returned tickets, and I got one. Just the one. So of course I went again. I paid more than I could afford, and had the most incredible time. Try and tell me you wouldn't have done the same. It's sad that you appear to be unable to feel happy for those of us in attendance. As you said, there's no need to be that selfish really. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steve said:

Five tracks missing on the broadcast. 

-Close encounters 

-Donnybrook fair

-Devils Dance

-Dartmoor 1912

-Marion's Theme 

 

Several of the main highlights then. It bothers me that they keep CE3K from the "masses" that watch the broadcast.

 

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Because tehre was not one single reason why these tracks could not have been included, it's just messing with us because they can.

 

Who's messing, because who can? The TV broadcast was by Servus TV; the commercial releases are going to be by Deutsche Grammophon. I expect Servus TV broadcast as much as they could manage and afford.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pawel P. said:
7 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

Buying more tickets and selling them out at astronomical prices is selfish.

 

 

It is just not selfish! First of all it is fraud and robbery which should be punished by law!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, St0rMl0rD said:

Just Sunday footage so far, interesting, looks about half of the concert was cut for this broadcast so far.

 

Footage is from both days. At least the opening ovation is from Saturday, most (or all) of the rest so far (I'm only at the second piece) seems to be from Sunday. I've spotted myself both in the parterre and on the balcony.

 

 

15 hours ago, ciarlese said:

After some months I am realising that I am getting angrier and angrier because of such behaviour, that seems to have been much more common than I thought, as this is just one more occasion that I see. A once in a lifetime occasion for many of us became the occasion for few lucky ones to go for the double, which resulted in many of us not getting the chance to buy a ticket.

 

I get what you're saying, but I'd also like to point out that after the original 2018 ticket sales, I don't think anybody expected these concerts to sell out so quickly. Back then, tickets were readily available for months. And clearly very many people who were put on the waiting list did get tickets in the end, plus others who bought them off people who had leftovers, including some on very short notice. Between the Saturday and Sunday concert, I managed to secure three standing area tickets for friends of family.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

 

Footage is from both days. At least the opening ovation is from Saturday, most (or all) of the rest so far (I'm only at the second piece) seems to be from Sunday. I've spotted myself both in the parterre and on the balcony.

Oh, I missed the opening ovation, didn't see myself throughout the whole broadcast, but who cares, as long as we got the best versions of the performances :) The performances of Luke and Leia and Imperial March were incredible, best versions I've ever heard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 9:53 PM, King Mark said:

 It's odd because the OST versions are always the "ideal" version , but when he conducts live they can sound a little odd

 

Jurassic Park: too fast

Han Solo and the Princess :too fast

Rebellion is Reborn:too slow

Adventures of Han:too slow

 

what I heard of the Vienna concert sounds good though

 

Film music fans almost always see the original film recording as the epitome/ultimate reading of said piece. But we all know that the tempo is thoroughly dictated by the film in that case, so the composer might feel that the piece works better with a different tempo if presented in a concert setting. For Jurassic Park, Williams showed a tendency to prefer a slightly faster reading of the "brachiousaurus" segment since the first times he performed the piece in concert with the Pops:

 

 

 

 

Sometimes he conducted it faster, other times slower. The point is that he takes freedom in these things and probably doesn't have a rigid interpretation in his head. A lot of these things depend upon rehearsal time and how the orchestra responds to the piece. The great thing about music is that there is always more than one interpretation of a piece, and that includes film music cues as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

 

Several of the main highlights then. It bothers me that they keep CE3K from the "masses" that watch the broadcast.

 

True, but it makes the August release of Blu-ray all the sweeter.

 

Karol

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is all very exciting. (much needed nowadays) I just watched the first minutes of the live TV stream and two questions arose for me:

 

- This edit is vastly different to the short peek of Hook et al we saw in the BFMI showreel. Has anybody captured those snippets from there? They used longer and wider takes, somehow it was more musically (plus those were *really* the first notes Williams ever conducted on continental Europe and in Musikverein), and I like the fact that our daughter appeared right in the first seconds of the "overture", so to speak.

 

- Do you think the edit by Deutsche Grammophon will be yet another, third variant? We want multiple angles of this event, which is ingrained in our consciousness like nothing (!!) this year or possibly a lifetime. :)

 

I say it again: T'is all very exciting. \o/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...