Jump to content

John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020 w/ CD & Blu-ray coming August 14 2020


Recommended Posts

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 11:30 AM, Holko said:

Well... This is actually a bloody great concert for the overwhelming majority for the time. I didn't even notice what my problem was with the SW Main Title.

Yeah, the CD takes a lot away from the concert experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some fact snippets I gathered from people who talked to people (in the orchestra etc.):   - The Philharmoniker were big fans of Williams as a conductor and specifically pointed out his sensi

In this topic, there has already been some speculation about WP seating on JW concerts and we had a good chat of our own with @Marian Schedenig so I decided to ask my friend who plays double bass in t

On 8/18/2020 at 1:35 PM, tmarps said:

John Williams isn’t slowing down the tempo for his health.. he still conducts fast tempi on OSTs etc. Just my thoughts are that the Vienna Philharmonic are so unfamiliar with the pieces that slow and together (yes, together) was a better option than fast and the pieces completely fall apart and then with no way to get the orchestra back together. The Vienna Philharmonic’s lack of familiarity with the pieces was the main factor that constituted to the slower tempo choices, not Williams being “old”. In my opinion. 

 

It certainly sounds like that's the case in several instances.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

What is weak with these pieces? Perhaps you just dońt like the arrangement for AS Mutter? Especially Devils dance is excellent!

 

Well Cinderella Liberty and Donnybrook Fair were poor choices for this concert comparing to the timeless stuff like CE3K or WarHorse. And its always stupid to put Raiders march and Marions theme in the same concert because of the repeat of the marions theme. Same with the Leia's theme  and the main title in the suite where it comes again. 

ASM's playing in those pieces is not the problem, the music itself is just too.... light. The problem with the player comes with the more deep pieces. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Albus Percival Wulfric said:

Marion's Theme to me was the moment of the greatest beauty in this concert. This was the theme I was most looking forwards to hearing performed by the VPO strings. I can easily see why Williams decided to add it despite already having a bit of Marion's Theme in Raiders March.

 

I was thinking that the Love Theme from Superman would have been absolutely GLORIOUS with the VPO's strings and horns (and not redundant like Marion's Theme, since they didn't play the March from Superman).  Here's to John Williams in Vienna, Vol.2!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of "Donnybrook Fair" I would have preferred the Far and Away arrangement from the Perlam album. Marion's Theme fit quite well. A deserved rest for the brass section. I was happy that it wasn't the ASM version though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jay said:

The ultimate solution would have been to keep Marion's theme, but then instead of playing the classic Raider's March, play Return to the Village / End Credits from Temple of Doom to still get all the Raiders March parts, but with Willie and Shortround material in there instead of Marion's theme again :)

OMG just imagine:

 

and imagine the complaints about VPO "falling apart" while playing the oriental Short Round's Theme in counterpoint :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2020 at 10:25 PM, Albus Percival Wulfric said:

OMG just imagine:

 

and imagine the complaints about VPO "falling apart" while playing the oriental Short Round's Theme in counterpoint :lol:

Or how about an Indy 5 teaser?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I just received my order from Amazon of this amazing concert on Blu-ray/CD.  I would love to be able to listen to the whole concert on my phone.  Is it possible to rip one of the audio tracks?  I have a Blu-ray drive in my PC and can see the files in Windows Explorer.

I am sure there is copy protection on the files but there is probably a way around this.

I checked the forum rules and I did not see mention of something like this being against the rules but if it is then please let me know and/or mods, please delete this!

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Oceadge said:

Hi,

I just received my order from Amazon of this amazing concert on Blu-ray/CD.  I would love to be able to listen to the whole concert on my phone.  Is it possible to rip one of the audio tracks?  I have a Blu-ray drive in my PC and can see the files in Windows Explorer.

I am sure there is copy protection on the files but there is probably a way around this.

I checked the forum rules and I did not see mention of something like this being against the rules but if it is then please let me know and/or mods, please delete this!

Thanks.

Here's how I've done it: get the Blu-ray file of the concert, and use MakeMKV to convert it to an MKV file - but only export the 24/96 stereo audio track (this is the only one you will need). Open this MKV in VLC and use the convert/stream function to convert the MKV file (containing the video and 24/96 stereo audio track) into a WAV audio file (my one was about 3GB in total). From there, split and separate the tracks as you please, and convert it to your preferred format (Apple Lossless for me).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Archive Collection said:

Here's how I've done it: get the Blu-ray file of the concert, and use MakeMKV to convert it to an MKV file - but only export the 24/96 stereo audio track (this is the only one you will need). Open this MKV in VLC and use the convert/stream function to convert the MKV file (containing the video and 24/96 stereo audio track) into a WAV audio file (my one was about 3GB in total). From there, split and separate the tracks as you please, and convert it to your preferred format (Apple Lossless for me).

Wow, thank you so much :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

btw many asked for more film music to be performed by the VPO but it won't happen. HZ will not enter to the podium with his fucking guitar Inception like or any other mediocre composer. They wanted JW and that is it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, theBT said:

btw many asked for more film music to be performed by the VPO but it won't happen. HZ will not enter to the podium with his fucking guitar Inception like or any other mediocre composer.

 

"More film music" and "Hans Zimmer" are not the same thing by a far shot.

 

16 minutes ago, theBT said:

They wanted JW and that is it. 

 

They've played Maurice Jarre last week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

 

A suite from Doctor Zhivago conducted by Valery Gergiev at the annual open air "Sommernachtskonzert". I haven't heard it myself.

 

I saw it on TV. Aren't these open air concerts usually little bit lighter than their normal stuff? Well, Zhivago was full of waltzes😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, theBT said:

I saw it on TV. Aren't these open air concerts usually little bit lighter than their normal stuff? Well, Zhivago was full of waltzes😀

 

Light in a similar way as the New Year's Concerts, only without the focus on the Strauß dynasty. But that's how they first performed Williams as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Delayed yet again. Amazon now says it will be in stock on Oct. 28; my pre-order will apparently arrive between Oct. 8 and 23. What the heck?!?

 

Why don't you order from another web store?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's weird, Amazons tells me mine will be "Arriving tomorrow by 9 PM"

Maybe they immediately ran out of stock because they didn't get enough and you were one of the lucky ones. Somebody somewhere really underestimated how well this would sell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

Why don't you order from another web store?


If there is an online store that ships in the US that will let me receive it quicker, then I would. I always get regular online orders via Amazon, and normally on time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:


If there is an online store that ships in the US that will let me receive it quicker, then I would. I always get regular online orders via Amazon, and normally on time.

 

I purchased from prestomusic.co.uk after the initial batch sold out. Received it a few weeks ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...