John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

They are considered to be one of the finest orchestra in the world, yes.

I read somewhere that this is the first time they’re having a full program dedicated to movie music. Don’t know if that’s true or not, though.

They performed some selections from Star Wars at one of their "Sommernachtkonzert" a few years ago, conducted by Franz Wesler-Most (who stepped in for an ailing Seiji Ozawa). In 2017, they perfomed Hedwig's Theme (conducted by Christoph Eschenbach), again for one of the Summernight Concert.

It's definitely the first time they're performing an entire concert devoted to Williams' music.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Like here?

Bratislava also has great parts, by the way, but yeah, if anyone goes to the Vienna concert, do yourself a favour and spend 2 days there visiting places or just walking around if you've never been!

I never tire of these spectacular performances.

4 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

At least they didn't resent it so much they felt the need to program some Holst, Korngold, Wagner and Stravinsky in between their Star Wars acts, like the Concertgebouworkest did last year.

You mean the Nederlands Philharmonisch Orkest? The Concertgebouworkest would probably go on strike if they were forced to perform Star Wars music in public.

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You mean the Nederlands Philharmonisch Orkest? The Concertgebouworkest would probably go on strike if they were forced to perform Star Wars music in public.

I bet the mere thought sends shivers of disgust down their spines and makes them all feel dirty.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Oh, right. It was the Dutch Philharmonic.

Still, my point about the programme stands.

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I'm surprised they booked him, perhaps they need the money.

I'm sure there are some in the orchestra who are excited about this concert. But I do wonder what the general mood about it is. The VP are certainly a *very* conservative orchestra.

12 hours ago, rough cut said:

I read somewhere that this is the first time they’re having a full program dedicated to movie music. Don’t know if that’s true or not, though.

I'm sure it is. They've hardly performed film music at all, and certainly not dedicated a full concert to it. Although there are at least two non-film pieces included, so technically it's not exclusively film music.

12 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

At least they didn't resent it so much they felt the need to program some Holst, Korngold, Wagner and Stravinsky in between their Star Wars acts, like the Concertgebouworkest did last year.

I'm not at all sure that the VP approved of The Planets back in the early 60s when Karajan recorded it with them.

On 10/11/2018 at 7:56 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm sure there are some in the orchestra who are excited about this concert. But I do wonder what the general mood about it is. The VP are certainly a *very* conservative orchestra.

I'm sure it is. They've hardly performed film music at all, and certainly not dedicated a full concert to it. Although there are at least two non-film pieces included, so technically it's not exclusively film music.

I'm not at all sure that the VP approved of The Planets back in the early 60s when Karajan recorded it with them.

Interesting stuff! It amuses me the classical muso's take on film music. I can understand why some may turn their nose up at the likes of Hans Zimmer/other 4 chord composers, but the John Williams implements some very complex and exciting ideas from the Romantic era and can write very Tchaikovsky-y often, which should be celebrated as keeping the Western Classical Tradition alive and still current! Just take his Shark Cage Fugue! Scherzo for X-Wings! When Williams passes there will be very few who can write so prolifically using those ideas from the past. Another reason to love Williams so much! 

12 minutes ago, tmarps said:

Hans Zimmer/other 4 chord composers,

Zimmer is far from a 4 chord composer.  Imitations often devolve into such things but the man's music itself is harmonically very fresh.

13 minutes ago, tmarps said:

John Williams implements some very complex and exciting ideas from the Romantic era and can write very Tchaikovsky-y often, which should be celebrated as keeping the Western Classical Tradition alive and still current! Just take his Shark Cage Fugue! Scherzo for X-Wings! When Williams passes there will be very few who can write so prolifically using those ideas from the past.

I don't think this is the great thing that you seem to think it is, and I doubt if many classical snobbists would be much moved by the argument - if anything it strengthens their typical complaints, that Williams is a recycler of past ideas who never improves on them and brings nothing new to the scene himself.  I also think it is a little silly to say that there will only be few who could write using those ideas without Williams.  The classical world is ripe with such talent and ability.

4 hours ago, TGP said:

The classical world is ripe with such talent and ability.

And indeed beyond! There are many composers beyond what we call the "classical realm" that, to just stick with tmarps's literal example, write with tons of counterpoint and polyphonic lines. 

Williams has a distinct, personal voice, and I always consider it unfortunate when people eschew his individuality and intimate grasp on musical forces to hold him as a vanguard of a particular tradition, often presented in a scarcity or doom-impending mindset.

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Just the one? Somewhere in a back alley by the looks of it. Where they hope it won't be seen much.

It's a small wooded square on the stright right across the corner from my flat, on the way to my regular supermarket. If it's there, it'll be up in other places across the city as well. And it's below a poster advertising Messiah with Ortner conducting the Schönbergchoir and soloists including Schade, so it's in good company.

Quick heads up, since we're talking about it in the RAH thread: The Musikverein (as all other major music halls and theatres in Vienna) don't allow you to take bags* into the hall. You have to drop them off at the cloakroom before the performance, for a small fee. I think it's about €1 at the Musikverein - I know it's €1.40 at the Konzerthaus (it's free/included in the ticket price at the State Opera).

*) Women are ok with purses and usually even with medium-sized bags I believe, but men with medium-sized bags are not normally allowed.

Oh no! No-one can replace John Williams conducting his own music, but I’d still attend the concert. I wish they’d find another conductor, sad as it may be. Hearing the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra perform JW would have been a life time highlight.

Get well soon JW!!!!

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

Oh no! No-one can replace John Williams conducting his own music, but I’d still attend the concert. I wish they’d find another conductor, sad as it may be. Hearing the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra perform JW would have been a life time highlight.

Get well soon JW!!!!

NOOOOOO! It was going to be my first concert with the maestro!!!!! :-((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

17 minutes ago, mandel said:

NOOOOOO! It was going to be my first concert with the maestro!!!!! :-((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Ditto! There goes the first and last chance to ever see him for real. Sigh... it was too good to be true anyway.

Get well soon, JW!

1 hour ago, davefg said:

That’s one way of putting it.

An understatement...

Anyone familiar with the Musikverein's refund process? Will they transfer your money back to you account or?

19 minutes ago, apples said:

An understatement...

Anyone familiar with the Musikverein's refund process? Will they transfer your money back to you account or?

I've requested it and they answered back in 13 minutes with this message:

"thank you for your email. We have refunded the money to your credit card account. Please just be aware that it can take up to 4-5 days until you can see the money back on your credit card account."

You know, they are German ;)

1 minute ago, TGP said:

Und zis is how ve refund in Germany, Dr. Jones.

im glad im still able to laugh at that

7 minutes ago, mandel said:

I've requested it and they answered back in 13 minutes with this message:

"thank you for your email. We have refunded the money to your credit card account. Please just be aware that it can take up to 4-5 days until you can see the money back on your credit card account."

You know, they are German ;)

Thanks mandel!

Very sad to hear about the news today.

But since all flights and hotels were booked anyway, I'm still going to both London and Vienna.

We should have a meetup outside the Musikverein at the time of the concert and do some a capella version of one of John's tracks or something.

Or just go drown our sorrows in a nearby tavern.

Unfortunately this was likely the only chance to see my favorite composer in person (being a composer myself), completely devastated. And since I got non-refundable tickets to Vienna and the hotel as well, I am still going. Might as well make a day out of it at least. So devastating. Hope John feels better very soon!

3 hours ago, St0rMl0rD said:

Unfortunately this was likely the only chance to see my favorite composer in person (being a composer myself), completely devastated. And since I got non-refundable tickets to Vienna and the hotel as well, I am still going. Might as well make a day out of it at least. So devastating. Hope John feels better very soon!

Even for me this was likely the only chance to see John Williams... I'm very very sad 😭

I hope there will be another chance (maybe in Vienna?? 😥)...hopefully isn't too late!

1 hour ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Williams should never have committed to these concerts anyway at his age. He should be resting comfortably drinking tea.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I think his stamina is admirable. Getting sick right before the concert could happen to any conductor.

You're both right.