John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

1 minute ago, Modest Expectations said:

I also did this. I should have done it 20 minutes ago! I have a place in a 7th or 8th row (couldn't even take a good glance) on the floor level, but sadly near the wall. Well, at least I will be able to attend this historical event!

Yeah, I realized too late what was going on. Managed to get some good central seats near the front, but not as good as what I've hoped for (wanted to be in the very front row, obviously).

The last time it didn't sell that fast. There were even seats available some days after the sale started.

Is there anything different this time? Would like to avoid the EUR75 membership if possible.

1 minute ago, alawill75 said:

The last time it didn't sell that fast. There were even seats available some days after the sale started.

Is there anything different this time? Would like to avoid the EUR75 membership if possible.

The first concert is almost sold out, by the looks of it. Some seats remaining in the edges of the hall.

4 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I need a cup of tea now :)

No kidding, I had 10 seconds to enter my bank details and complete my purchase...But it's done now, 8th row, see you in January, Mr. Williams!

Yes, there’ll be tickets left. That’s how these things work. But then I reckon it’ll be more of a “fight” to get a hold of few - I think that the demand for tickets will be greater than.

I am actually out traveling at the moment, sitting in an international airport, in transit, so I am glad I was able to wrangle a ticket on the free WiFi, without any kinks. Now, I deserve a coffee before next take off...

12 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Plus, Marian heard that the very first rows and the seats near the orchestra on the stage might not be available because they will extend the stage.

That would explain why rows I, II, and III were completely greyed out in both events. Unless people were really quick to figure out the error messages and buy them out.

Did anyone here actually get closer seats, than row 4?

2 minutes ago, JFrederik said:

I was wondering the same thing, I got tickets for Parterre Right  - Row: 1, Seat: 8, and it seemed to be row 4?

Yeah, it does say "Row: 1" for me, though visually it's Row 4. Perhaps each of the categories have "first rows".

received_458641608191461.png

So what're the odds of getting tickets later on if these sell out? Do people get extras that they sell off (presumably at exorbitant prices)? I really want to go but need to plan things first.

Hope you all got the tickets you wanted!

I was queuing in person (it's less then 10 minutes from my home by bike, and on my way to work) and was #3 in line, so I got my own tickets straight away without any hassle. But if it's any consolation, I spent 45 minutes just before the ticket office opened on the cinema ticket website to get tickets for TROS in December. ;) Plus once I had my own tickets, I returned to the ticket office three times with different friends on my phone so they could order their tickets because they couldn't get through. The ticket office people were VERY nice and VERY patient.

I've got a fourth row seat on Saturday and a balcony seat on Sunday.

41 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

I think rows I-III have Roman numerals precisely for when a large orchestra is needed.

Rows with Arabic numerals might have a literal meaning this time :) 

Yes, those are the ones that are not on sale because they MIGHT extend the stage. That's not certain yet though, so there's no guarantee that row 1 will be the front row for certain. But it seems likely right now.

I wonder why and how they may want to extend the stage but are not sure yet. Size of the orchestra? Safety distance for Williams?? I doubt they'll set up projection equipment for Williams.

I was planning on getting a front row seat for Sunday when row I was listed for €90, but I didn't want to pay €240 for row 1. Row 4 on Saturday will be close enough for me, so I switched to a balcony seat for Sunday.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Hope you all got the tickets you wanted!

I was queuing in person (it's less then 10 minutes from my home by bike, and on my way to work) and was #3 in line, so I got my own tickets straight away without any hassle. But if it's any consolation, I spent 45 minutes just before the ticket office opened on the cinema ticket website to get tickets for TROS in December. ;) Plus once I had my own tickets, I returned to the ticket office three times with different friends on my phone so they could order their tickets because they couldn't get through. The ticket office people were VERY nice and VERY patient.

I've got a fourth row seat on Saturday and a balcony seat on Sunday.

I wish Johnny would come to do a concert only 10 minutes away from my home.

I am still debating whether to order a ticket on Thursday or not. I am not quite sure if my schedule will allow me a weekend in Vienna in January but as the Maestro says, I'll try.

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

BTW, the numbers on all the tickets are still the same nerdy ones as last time: 1138 for Saturday and 1977 for Sunday.

:P

5 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I wish Johnny would come to do a concert only 10 minutes away from my home.

To be fair, I did also fly all the way to Tanglewood to hear him at his own secondary home. ;)

And yes, I did wear my Tanglewood T-shirt while queuing.

It seems JW has updated the program for this concert in 2020 compared to  the cancelled one.

Newly added:

Sound the Bells

Across the Stars from “Attack of the Clones”

Donnybrook Fair from “Far and Away”

Remembrances from “Schindler’s List”

Raiders March from “Raiders of the Lost Ark”

Out to Sea / Shark Cage Fugue from “Jaws”

Love Theme from “Superman”

Missing:

Olympic Fanfare and Theme

Suite from "Memoirs of a Geisha"

Nimbus 2000 from "Harry Potter" 
Harry's Wondrous World from "Harry Potter"

No change:

The Flight to Neverland from “Hook”

Excepts from “Close Encounters of the Third Kind“

Adventures on Earth from "E.T.”

A Child’s Tale, Suite from "The Big Friendly Giant" 
Hedwig’s Theme from "Harry Potter"

The Rebellion Is Reborn from "The Last Jedi" 
Rey's Theme from "The Force Awakens" 
Main Title from "Star Wars"

I much prefer the updated set we’re getting in 2020. :)

7 minutes ago, rough cut said:

It seems JW has updated the program for this concert in 2020 compared to  the cancelled one.

Newly added:

Sound the Bells

Across the Stars

Donnybrook Fair from “Far and Away”

Remembrances from “Schindler’s List”

Out to Sea / Shark Cage Fugue

Love Theme from “Superman”

Missing:

Suite from "Memoirs of a Geisha"

Nimbus 2000 from "Harry Potter" 
Harry's Wondrous World from "Harry Potter"

I much prefer the updated set we’re getting in 2020. :)

Absolutely, and with the Raiders March thrown in to kick off the second part. Nice!

Olympic Fanfare is also missing (Sound the Bells takes its spot).

Donnybrook Fair looks suspiciously like it should be the new violin arrangement? At least I don't think that title has been used for the piece before that?

Playing the Superman love theme is perhaps risky when thinking of the more conservative Philharmonic players, being so close to Strauss' Tod und Verklärung (which I by the way first heard in a VP concert, many years ago).

Haha, for some reason I’d missed to add Raiders to the “newly added” section of my post above. Fixed now.

Do you think Anne-Sophie Mutter might make an appearance for “Across the Stars”, “Donnybrook Fair” and “Remembrances”? ;)

7 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Olympic Fanfare is also missing

Thanks. Fixed.

35 minutes ago, moz_1983 said:

I have a membership - if anyone wants any tickets, let me know. The cheapest non-awful ones left are in the gallery at the rear at 90 bucks. 

I might be interested, but wouldn't that be very complicated?

14 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Do you think Anne-Sophie Mutter might make an appearance for “Across the Stars”, “Donnybrook Fair” and “Remembrances”? ;)

That would be a very pleasant surprise!

1 minute ago, alawill75 said:

I might be interested, but wouldn't that be very complicated?

Slightly, I suppose. I should be able to have e-tickets sent to a different email address, I think. On top of that, there's the obvious aspect of you not knowing me and being wary of handing out funds to a stranger - which I obviously appreciate. Does anyone else know if a member's ticket purchase can be sent to a different email address? 

4 minutes ago, moz_1983 said:

Slightly, I suppose. I should be able to have e-tickets sent to a different email address, I think. On top of that, there's the obvious aspect of you not knowing me and being wary of handing out funds to a stranger - which I obviously appreciate. Does anyone else know if a member's ticket purchase can be sent to a different email address? 

You can always send them to yourself, and then forward it to someone else.

I suspect there are a lot of people on here who have seen him multiple times, but this (fingers crossed, again) will be my first time! I just hope to god he flies out early enough to get over jet lag and relax for a few days before the performances! 

10 minutes ago, moz_1983 said:

I suspect there are a lot of people on here who have seen him multiple times, but this (fingers crossed, again) will be my first time! I just hope to god he flies out early enough to get over jet lag and relax for a few days before the performances! 

Perhaps he'll fly in super early to spend Christmas in Vienna and we'll see him sitting in a box seat during the New Year's Concert. ;) 

23 minutes ago, moz_1983 said:

Ahem, a nice rest in London first... via a little visit to South Kensington! 

So are all of you guys who have ordered tickets now a member of the verein?

Nice that they're playing "Sound the Bells!", btw. Something different among the eternal evergreens.

7 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I don't recognize The Rebellion Is Reborn. Could that be from Episode IX? 

Oh. Its from TLJ. Never mind. 

Dude, what?  Are you that far beyond this hobby these days?

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

So are all of you guys who have ordered tickets now a member of the verein?

Nice that they're playing "Sound the Bells!", btw. Something different among the eternal evergreens.

I was a member last year so I got the chance to order them today, so kind of them to offer that, so that 75 € didn't go to waste. I'd actually prefer the Olympic Fanfare.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Can I ask how much the tickets are? At least the ones you've all bought? I know they range in price depending on seats.

On 5/28/2018 at 5:02 AM, Tigreg said:

Categories from 8 to 1 => 8€/35€/59€/90€/140€/195€/240€/240€

categories.pdf