John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

If I could make one change, I would throw out Dartmoor 1912 and put Across the stars back in again. And Love Theme from Superman.

Honestly, I wish he’d had kept the set list that was published on the 23rd. There were som many great pieces I was looking forward to hear (also, we would have gotten Raiders March!).

But we do get Marion’s Theme, I guess that counts for something.

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Nevermind Austria, when's the old geezer coming back to London?

He's not

14 hours ago, tmarps said:

We'll get Raiders - it'll be an encore for sure

I'd love that so much, and Superman too. That would be a perfect ending!

On 10/24/2019 at 10:35 PM, Thor said:

Why? Are you going to stalk him?

After reading the entries to this topic over the weekend, I just wanted to make clear that I'm not going to stalk the maestro. I was just curious where he is going to stay. Also curious about his travel (privat jet or first/business in a scheduled flight) and overall schedule. Who will travelling with him (his wife? Management? Private doctor maybe?) Is he going to stay in Europe for some days, etc.

Anyway, reading some topics in this forum over the years, I somehow had the feeling that it's not that difficult to move to the dressing room after the concert and ask for an autograph, but that might have changed within the last years. I also have the feeling, that people are getting more egoistic each year and the internet is likely to boost the hype on Williams. Still remember the times, when I thought I'm the only one who listens to this kind of music on a regularly basis.

Hi all,

For those who couldn't get a place last week, I've just seen that they have adeed a waiting list to buy tickets on Musikverein's website...

59 minutes ago, Nagnes said:

> they have added a waiting list to buy tickets on Musikverein's website...

Saw that too right before reading this, haha - and used it.

I might end up with too many tickets (not likely) on

January 17 at noon at the latest - so do we

manage a pool of tickets around here?

I'm not sure that Musikverein will take back/offer tickets on consignment at all or that late, what do you think Marian?

See you there! (here's hoping the more often this is stated, the more probable it will be ;))

5 hours ago, Martinland said:

I'm not sure that Musikverein will take back/offer tickets on consignment at all or that late, what do you think Marian?

No idea. I imagine as long as they have a waiting list they might take back tickets at least until a few days before the concert (i.e. enough time to sell them to people on the list). I also expect you may be able to sell them in front of the Musikverein before the concert.

Hello folks - my first post here :)

On 10/22/2019 at 3:47 PM, Thor said:

But regardless of all of that, here's my bizarre situation for this that I thought I'd share:

On the evening of Saturday, January 18th, I'm the on-stage host for a John Williams concert with the Lørenskog marching band. Lørenskog is a suburb to Oslo, so it sounds small, but their marching band is one of the best in all of Norway. They've often won the Norwegian championships. They're already preparing an exciting programme of familiar and unfamiliar JW pieces (some of which have never been performed live before), and I was hired several months back, with a decent and much-needed pay. There's no way I can cancel it. So I have this weird situation where a John Williams-related event is cancelling out the chance to see the actual John Williams live!

Yeah well, Thor, I actually feel a little bad now for asking you to host our concert, as it turns out it collides with other things for you left and right - not only the Vienna Williams concert, but also the Tromsø International Film Festival, which you graciously agreed to leave early to host our show. And I would probably have gone to Vienna too, if I hadn’t been performing Williams’ music myself at exactly the same time. 

But we’re really grateful for having Norway’s foremost Williams’ expert as our host! And I hope you are as excited as I am to have stuff like “Hassle in the Castle” from Checkmate and “Mambone” from Bachelor Flat performed live. :)

(By the way, we haven’t actually ever won the Norwegian Championships - maybe you’re confusing us with Lillestrøm, only a few miles away, who win every other year or so. But we do participate in the upper divisions, so on a good day, we sound decent, too! And we like to call ourselves a concert band, not a marching band – we usually march only once a year, on National Day).

22 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Welcome, Nils! I guess it was too boring over at FSM... ;)

Thanks, Sigbjørn!

Well, some variation will be nice, at least. :)

7 hours ago, NilsJ said:

And I hope you are as excited as I am to have stuff like “Hassle in the Castle” from Checkmate and “Mambone” from Bachelor Flat performed live. :)

That should be really fun to hear :)

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

That should be really fun to hear :)

Yeah, I'm so looking forward to playing those (though as these are basically big band numbers and I play the clarinet, I probably won't get the coolest parts :))

We wanted to cover some of the lesser known, early part of Williams career, and as these are two of my favorite tracks from that period, I suggested them, and the rest of the band's music committee agreed that these were good choices. Norwegian film composer Knut Avenstroup Haugen is currently working on the arrangements. 

(sorry to have derailed the thread's topic a bit, so with that in mind: I wish everyone going to the Vienna concert a terrific experience! Would have loved to be there, too. :))

By ear. Fortunately, the CD tracks have excellent sound quality (especially Hassle in the Castle), so it shouldn't be a problem. 

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Purpose said:

I'm presently on the waiting list for both shows but naturally the likelihood of anyone returning for this will be slim for obvious reasons.

The likelihood may be slim right now, but as the concert approaches, I am pretty sure that some ticket returns will happen. Yes, there was a ticket-buying craze during the general sale and pre-sale, but so will there be a ticket reselling craze in the days before, as some people realize that they cannot make it to Vienna for a variety of reasons.

In any case, you should at least be able to get a standing ticket. For instance, Thor said that he is unlikely to use his, and I may end up having to resell 1 standing ticket as well, since one person travelling with me has a seat for the other concert, and said that one concert should be enough for them. Obviously, in that case, I'd give my ticket, first and foremost, to someone from JWFan.

2 minutes ago, Biodome said:

thanks Biodome. that's awfully kind of you to say. the thing is, I'm the newest on here and have no idea if there's a waiting list for members on this site.... is there? or would you have your own system for deciding who from JWFans to sell to? I assume you have friends from this site who've you known for years as opposed to someone totally new/random like myself lol. 

in any case, I'm going to do whatever I can to try and make it on either the 18/19th. I trust the universe that things will work out. 

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Purpose said:

I'm the newest on here and have no idea if there's a waiting list for members on this site.... is there?

No, there is no waiting list.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Purpose said:

or would you have your own system for deciding who from JWFans to sell to? I assume you have friends from this site who've you known for years as opposed to someone totally new/random like myself lol.

I have been on this forum relatively sporadically, so I wouldn't say I know anyone here too well. I think I'd just sell it on a first-come, first-served basis. So far, unless I have missed something, you're the only one in this thread who'd be happy with a standing ticket, let alone being as insane as to book flights and hotels in Vienna without having any ticket at all :lol:

If you exhaust all options, and still can't get a ticket, message me a couple of days or so before the concerts. I can't guarantee that I'll have a standing ticket, since that's not my decision to make, but if I will, I'll give it to you.

12 minutes ago, Biodome said:

If you exhaust all options, and still can't get a ticket, message me a couple of days or so before the concerts. I can't guarantee that I'll have a standing ticket, since that's not my decision to make, but if I will, I'll give it to you.

awesome Biodome! thanks hugely for this offer. and yes, I'm sure my plan does sound insane. but I have to try and make this happen. Jurassic Park changed my life. every decision I've made in my life since I was 12, I owe to the film and, of course, Mr. Williams' score. I hope I can make it.

3 hours ago, Biodome said:

but so will there be a ticket reselling craze in the days before, as some people realize that they cannot make it to Vienna for a variety of reasons.

Hopefully the reason won't be that Williams is one of them. ;) 

If TROS ends with an all-encompassing suite that sums up the saga, you'd think that'll be his final piece (just like the way he was finishing concerts with Jedi Steps and Finale for a few years after TFA).

What’s a likely encore for Vienna, though?

The Superman March could be a contender. Imperial March another. I guess Raiders’ March (which I think was mentioned already) is also a probability.

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

What’s a likely encore for Vienna, though?

The Superman March could be a contender. Imperial March another. I guess Raiders’ March (which I think was mentioned already) is also a probability.

Theme from Sabrina.