John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

On 12/14/2019 at 3:31 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Far better, on most days.

Speaking of which - in order to have an even better time of our lives in 18 days (!!), how about meeting up after the Saturday concert at a nice place/restaurant? Not your private home necessarily... LOL

I've been to Vienna countless times but surely you're the local/expert - I'd say it would be preferable to choose a place where we are able to meet up spontaneously, have enough room, and don't need to reserve any tables for...

...what do you (others) think?

See you soon! <3

Martin of Martinland

Yeah, I'd love to meet the other attendees, too. Does anyone know cosy places in Vienna, with good, non-expensive food? Preferably not too far from Musikverein.

If I were JW, I'm sure I'd be already in Wien! Attending the New Year's concert, walking around (totally worth it), making sure what happened with London doesn't happen now...

1 minute ago, Holko said:

If I were JW, I'm sure I'd be already in Wien! Attending the New Year's concert, walking around (totally worth it), making sure what happened with London doesn't happen now...

Am watching the NY concert now looking forward to the concerts in 18 days!

my theory is that John will sail from NY to either Southampton or Cherbourg, and travel to Vienna by train, possibly the Orient. if this theory were true, he'd likely be somewhere in the mid-Atlantic right about now :)

he's a heavy smoker, and whilst we'll likely never know, I'm pretty certain it was the long haul flight which complicated things last time.

43 minutes ago, crumbs said:

..............?!?!?!?

of course open to be corrected on this by all means. I know someone who met John a few years ago and he was smoking at the time. 

Hans smokes like a chimney also, in case you were wondering :) I have met Hans about ten times. he is the nicest person ever. he loves 'Over the Hedge' and considers it one of his finest works! 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Purpose said:

Hans smokes like a chimney also, in case you were wondering :) I have met Hans about ten times. he is the nicest person ever.

So Hanz turned you into a passive smoker. Very nice indeed!

I think he will be in Vienna next week. Considering his age, he needs at least a week to recover from a jetlag. And he needs some time to get used to the cold weather.  I really hope everything goes well end he will give us a marvelous concert! :nopity:

1 hour ago, JTGL said:

I think he will be in Vienna next week. Considering his age, he needs at least a week to recover from a jetlag. And he needs some time to get used to the cold weather.  I really hope everything goes well end he will give us a marvelous concert! :nopity:

Just saw it's a 12-hour direct flight from LA to Vienna and a 9 hour time difference. About $14,000 first class return^. Pretty long flight and significant time difference, and the flight travels west across the US. Travelling west results in more jet lag. He'll have an easier time flying home. Just looked up jet lag and the elderly out of curiosity. Some tips if John's reading this^
https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/older-people-must-prepare-to-fight-jet-lag/article_c5d7843c-7188-54d0-8018-0b0b45e3683a.html

38 minutes ago, pete said:

Just saw it's a 12-hour direct flight from LA to Vienna and a 9 hour time difference. About $14,000 first class return^. Pretty long flight and significant time difference, and the flight travels west across the US. Travelling west results in more jet lag. He'll have an easier time flying home. Just looked up jet lag and the elderly out of curiosity. Some tips if John's reading this^
https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/older-people-must-prepare-to-fight-jet-lag/article_c5d7843c-7188-54d0-8018-0b0b45e3683a.html

Maybe he is coming in a private jet accompanied with a private doctor who monitors his health. Anyway, I am sure they make the flight as comfy as possible for John.

1 hour ago, pete said:

Just saw it's a 12-hour direct flight from LA to Vienna and a 9 hour time difference. About $14,000 first class return^. Pretty long flight and significant time difference, and the flight travels west across the US. Travelling west results in more jet lag. He'll have an easier time flying home.

If he's flying in from the west coast, he's either flying across the US *or* flying westward. He could also opt for a non-direct flight with e.g. a full day layover, perhaps in Ireland. Depends on the airline of course. And he should be quite used at least to the 3 hour time difference between the east and west costs. Compared to Boston/Tanglewood/New York the time difference to central Europe is "just" 6 hours.

On 12/31/2019 at 2:42 AM, Martinland said:

Speaking of which - in order to have an even better time of our lives in 18 days (!!), how about meeting up after the Saturday concert at a nice place/restaurant? Not your private home necessarily... LOL

I've been to Vienna countless times but surely you're the local/expert - I'd say it would be preferable to choose a place where we are able to meet up spontaneously, have enough room, and don't need to reserve any tables for...

I've been thinking about that myself. I've decided against actually organising & reserving something myself, because the concerts are right at the end of my holiday, and I don't want to stress out about managing 20-30+ people and making sure they all sign up in advance and show up for a reservation and thus get stressed out both during my holiday and around the concerts (I'm nervous about them anyway - three times now I've had a dream that the concert was about to start and I was still at home looking for my tickets).

There are places in the area of the Musikverein, of course. The question is how easy it will be to find something that can accomodate a rather large group on the spot. One candidate might be Gmoakeller, which is about a 10 minute walk from the Musikverein. Some may remember it from our meetup before the James Horner concert, when we had a reservation for the large room in the cellar. Problem is that they're right behind the Konzerthaus (the other large concert hall in Vienna) and are I believe usually pretty much booked up by concert goers in the evenings. The Williams concert on Saturday (and obviously on Sunday) is comparatively early, but if that'll help us find seats there I can't tell.

Obviously, feel free to call them and see if you can book the cellar or something, but I imagine they'd want to know at least a rough number of people that will definitely show up, and then you'll have to start organising.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You should ask JW's management where the after-party is.

We all now that the after-after-party is where it happens.

2 hours ago, St0rMl0rD said:

Here's yesterday's new year's concert of the Vienna Philharmonics, to get you in place and somewhat in mood

Yup, watched that live yesterday.

On 1/2/2020 at 3:35 PM, First TROS March Accolyte said:

image.png

Excellent woodwind and string trio of the Imperial March, stunning strings in Princess Leia's Theme, and a mighty slam of the Main Title.

Wait, they performed the Imperial March as a string/wind trio?! Is this available anywhere?

3 hours ago, carlborg said:

Does anyone know if there's going to be a recording made, as had been planned for last year's concert?

As has been posted repeatedly, staff at the Musikverein box office seem to have "confirmed" that an audio and video recording is still planned, as has Anne-Sophie Mutter. Nothing specifically official, and they might not have all the information, but it certainly looks like a recording is planned. I also assume that's the reason why the box office statement was that the first three rows (Cercle I-III) will very likely not be sold, though they weren't 100% certain that those wouldn't still go on sale closer to the concerts.

Also, posters seem to be finally up (not my photo):

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-04 at 16.26.15.jpeg

Oddly enough still with the old programme and title, yet officially crediting Anne-Sophie Mutter (and I suppose the major programme change happened when she originally joined the lineup).

5 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

You mean to say that huge cameras an microphones will be placed there? Somehow the New Year concerts are recorded with multiple cameras and yet people sit as close as possible to the stage. Why would that suddenly be a problem here?

I can't tell from the pictures if they actually have the Cercle rows at the New Year's Concert. They might have extended the stage for the floral arrangements in place of where the Cercle usually is. Doesn't explain of course why they'd need the area to film the Williams concerts.

All I know is they said those rows would probably not be available because they were likely to extend the stage. No further reason given. My own interpretation was that perhaps extending the stage actually just meant having room for a camera to move about. At the State Opera, when they film a performance, they usually cordon off the first row of the standing area*, or at least part of it.

*) Which is in an entirely different location compared to the Cercle at the Musikverein; the main standing area at the State Opera is in the centre *behind* the ground floor seating area (between the level 1 boxes and below the upper boxes).

10 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

Hm, on my ticket I read „Cercle Rechts, Reihe I, Platz 2“. So I guess, the first rows are not reserved.

Second seat in the house, wow

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

As has been posted repeatedly, staff at the Musikverein box office seem to have "confirmed" that an audio and video recording is still planned, as has Anne-Sophie Mutter. Nothing specifically official, and they might not have all the information, but it certainly looks like a recording is planned. I also assume that's the reason why the box office statement was that the first three rows (Cercle I-III) will very likely not be sold, though they weren't 100% certain that those wouldn't still go on sale closer to the concerts.

Also, posters seem to be finally up (not my photo):

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-04 at 16.26.15.jpeg

Oddly enough still with the old programme and title, yet officially crediting Anne-Sophie Mutter (and I suppose the major programme change happened when she originally joined the lineup).

Interesting, my guess is they had the poster out for printing before John changed his mind about the program?

For the November 2018 concert, they were going to record during rehearsals if I'm not mistaken. They're doing a recording of the actual concert this time?

If it's an audio only recording, they're probably at least recording the dress rehearsal, possibly along with the concerts themselves. But if they're doing a video recording as well, as I believe has been said, surely that'll be done during the actual concerts.