John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

Well, that was incredible! One of those concerts that completely enthralls you - happens only a few times a year, if at all. Energetic atmosphere in the hall, like I've never seen before (aided by the fact that the average attendee was like 30 years younger than usual). The Vienna Philharmonic - though not always perfect - was playing inspired with that string sound that is just to die for. 

We also got the hall to stand up in the beginning - perhaps we even overdid it with the standing ovations. I counted 7, that's probably more than the VPO gets in a season of subscription concerts. 😂

13 minutes ago, toothless said:

I’m happy for all of you folks who could make the trip! This looked to be a fantastic concert. I hope he will come back to Europe soon. In the meantime, in order not to think too much bout this missed opportunity. I just bought last minute tickets for this: https://philharmoniedeparis.fr/fr/activite/concert/20399-wiener-symphoniker-philippe-jordan

At least I’ll be hearing an orchestra tonight 😂

I actually was at this concert last weekend (in Vienna). Look forward to a gripping 5th symphony without any breaks between movements and a wonderful Choral Fantasy. Really loved that one as well, I hope you have a fantastic time! 😀

26 minutes ago, Matthias said:

I actually was at this concert last weekend (in Vienna). Look forward to a gripping 5th symphony without any breaks between movements and a wonderful Choral Fantasy. Really loved that one as well, I hope you have a fantastic time! 

Ah! I’m glad I took cat1 tickets then :) it helps that I have a subscription at the philharmonie de Paris so every ticket is then cheaper. 

Good Evening,

Hope folks had a good time at the concert today (18.01.20).

I am attending tomorrow (19.01.20) with my girlfriend and I am unsure of the expectations regarding dress. I have brought a dinner suit (bow tie etc.) and fully anticipated wearing it, but, don’t want to look completely out of place if no one else did today! 

I would be grateful if you could let me know if a dinner suit is too much...

Regards,

Liam.

4 minutes ago, liam0001 said:

Good Evening,

Hope folks had a good time at the concert today (18.01.20).

I am attending tomorrow (19.01.20) with my girlfriend and I am unsure of the expectations regarding dress. I have brought a dinner suit (bow tie etc.) and fully anticipated wearing it, but, don’t want to look completely out of place if no one else did today! 

I would be grateful if you could let me know if a dinner suit is too much...

Regards,

Liam.

I saw someone walking around in a black metal hoodie, another in a Jurassic Park shirt, one with a star wars shirt and one with a dinner jacket made to look like a musical sheet/notes. You'll be fine!

1 hour ago, toothless said:

I’m happy for all of you folks who could make the trip! This looked to be a fantastic concert. I hope he will come back to Europe soon. In the meantime, in order not to think too much bout this missed opportunity. I just bought last minute tickets for this: https://philharmoniedeparis.fr/fr/activite/concert/20399-wiener-symphoniker-philippe-jordan

At least I’ll be hearing an orchestra tonight 😂

I saw him do Prokofiev Classical Symphony & Mendelssohn Violin Concerto in New York a few months ago; I recall thinking he was a great conductor. Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Timo Martikainen said:

Cameraman confirmed to me that the concert isn't only broadcasted later on some local channel, but there's also going to be Blu-ray release of it.

You are here also for tomorrow concert Timo, just want to say hello? Terve! 

I was there as well this afternoon (standing, but had a good view!).

Was really amazing! Surprised he opened with Hook! 

Going again tomorrow 😃🙌

(Shameless plug - selling a ticket: seat next to me, middle balcony. Check out the marketplace 😉.

EDIT: ticket is sold)

57 minutes ago, hornist said:

You are here also for tomorrow concert Timo, just want to say hello? Terve! 

Terve! I got good seats for me and my sister only for today's concert. Kinda hard to convince non fan to trow another 240 eur for "same thing tomorrow". There was some decent and cheaper options available but I felt that after amazing seats (2nd ground level box, could see the face of JW most of the time) any other seat wouldn't make me as happy. Most likely another boring day on museums, before flying back tomorrow evening.

I really like the Mutter album because the arrangements are interesting and I kind of consider them as reworks of/by Williams. But I have to say that the Mutter-pieces didn't convince me in the concert hall. Should add though that I had standing place in the back, but still... Anyone else feeling that the pieces seemed a bit shaky/crumbly? Not so much regarding the performance, more in a sense that the venue was too big for the more delicate pieces and solo sections. 

Oh yeah, and I really have to emphasize that for me personally the most magical moment was the very first moment when JW entered the hall and everyone stood up – within seconds. I've never experienced something like this. Very emotional moment.

The concert was absolutely amazing, but yes, aside from the ‘Remembrances’ encore, I felt there wasn’t really much to the Mutter arrangements, aside from providing her a chance to be a diva. 

Also, even though the VPO sounded great generally, you could tell it was all fresh music for them and there were some painful mistakes, some of which may have been JW’s fault. It made me feel a bit nervous honestly! I hope they’ll be more secure tomorrow since this is all recorded. But that aside, it was a legendary afternoon and something I will never forget! 

3 minutes ago, Remco said:

The concert was absolutely amazing, but yes, aside from the ‘Remembrances’ encore, I felt there wasn’t really much to the Mutter arrangements, aside from providing her a chance to be a diva. 

Also, even though the VPO sounded great generally, you could tell it was all fresh music for them and there were some painful mistakes, some of which may have been JW’s fault. It made me feel a bit nervous honestly! I hope they’ll be more secure tomorrow since this is all recorded. But that aside, it was a legendary afternoon and something I will never forget! 

What sort of mistakes are we talking? Cracked notes in the brass, or more like early/late entrances?

1 minute ago, apples said:

Do you guys think we may get a small change in the setlist tomorrow? 

idk, Schindler's List as an encore just generally felt weird to me, especially between Tintin and Raiders, but then again, I'm German...

4 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

What sort of mistakes are we talking? Cracked notes in the brass, or more like early/late entrances?

Noticed some minor things here and there. But I guess only hardcore fans would hear it i.e. us 😜

6 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

more like early and late entrances. Brass was magnificent. I only noticed one cracked note in the opening Horn solo of JP. 

They gloriously messed up the climax of E.T. (when the flying theme comes in). It went by pretty quickly, but is seemed like there was no consensus of the new tempo. This was the most obvious one, but stuff like that happened every now and then. 

26 minutes ago, Remco said:

They gloriously messed up the climax of E.T. (when the flying theme comes in). It went by pretty quickly, but is seemed like there was no consensus of the new tempo. This was the most obvious one, but stuff like that happened every now and then. 

Still, I doubt it was as bad as Philly doing "Nimbus 2000" a couple years ago. An entire group of the orchestra was off by a bar and didn't seem to realize it until several bars later. Was almost a complete train wreck. I thought he was going to have to stop and start them over.

46 minutes ago, Remco said:

You mean this part? It almost killed me - but it was for me the only “big thing” otherwise it was just great. Brass was powerful and quite tight. I hope that tomorrow everything is going to be perfect. Anyway, It was a historical moment and absolutely stunning experience