John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

28 minutes ago, alawill75 said:

On Saturday, I saw two guys running out of the venue, towards the artist room, even before the end of the concert.

They both missed the "Imperial March", maybe even the encore No. 4 (not sure anymore when they left the hall).

They missed one of the best parts of the concerts.

Can't understand why people do that! It was the same on Sunday

1 hour ago, ChrisAfonso said:

I've heard more than once from more classically-minded listeners that (regardless of the musical quality) the music for e.g. Indiana Jones were very monotonous with only the same theme being repeated over and over - and being surprised to hear that in the actual score the Raiders March is used very sparingly and the variety of music is much greater. That's a thing that I hope the proliferation of live-to-projection concerts helps with, making more of the audience aware of the actual scope and musical diversity within the score.

This! That's what I meant.... 

20 hours ago, Martinland said:

Haha, wow - so you are not going to wash/use your ears for weeks to come? ;)

I too was absolutely not able to turn on the car radio on our journey back home (which I usually do for select nice classical and R&B stations from Vienna) and then, like more than 24 hours after the concert, yesterday I slowly began with a little bit of orchestral film music in the late afternoon... ...today I fell back to square one... ;)

...BTW: I really tried to find you in the rows before us - even asked a guy if he is "stormlord", he laughed and replied that nobody has ever asked him this before, and no, he is from Ireland. ;)

I might have seen you, oh well. Yeah, I can't listen to any music right now just yet, maybe later today and definitely back at it tomorrow - had to let the sound of the concert live in my ears and in my head a little bit longer. We just don't get this kind of multidimensional music experiences nowadays - no amplification, that orchestra, that music with that conductor, just doesn't exist. And it's to be treasured for lifetime.

2 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Who is William, and why you being his wife makes you jealous? :P 

I thought this is the fanpage for John William Waterhouse?

Just now, Tydirium said:

Interesting to note that the photo posted by Nationalbibliothek credits "📸 Terry Linke / @dgclassics", meaning that Deutsche Grammophon had a photographer tagging along on their outings. No doubt for use in either a promotional ad for the upcoming CD/DVD, or perhaps as part of a "John Williams in Vienna" documentary feature on the DVD.

Nice catch! Such documentary would have been great!

They should make a 5-disc set.

1. Saturday

2. Rehearsals

3. Documentary

4. CD 1 (mix Saturday / Sunday / later takes)

5. CD 2 ( -"-)

From Google Translate:

"A touch of Hollywood in the State Hall:    John Williams, the world-famous film composer ("Harry Potter", "Star Wars" "The Great White Shark", "Indiana Jones" ...) and multiple Oscar winner has paid us a visit! Star violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter has sponsored a book for the first print of Beethoven's famous violin concerto, op. 61, and dedicated it to the great composer legend from Hollywood. After a tour of the current special exhibition “Beethoven. Human world and the spark of the gods ”was the certificate from Director General Dr. Johanna handed over to Rachinger. 📜"

9 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

or perhaps as part of a "John Williams in Vienna" documentary feature on the DVD.

Just keep Bouzereau far away from it and it sounds great!

45 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I wonder if he might detour via Bonn on the way home and visit Beethoven House?

Do NOT make me nervous, I live there and would go camping outside to meet him.

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I could look at photos of JW touring overseas museums all year round!

It's so heartwarming seeing him outside the US and exploring unfamiliar lands (especially with the rich history that Europe holds).

He should just move over here if you ask me.

12 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Anne–Sophie Mutter set it up so that they together take over a "sponsorship" (Patenschaft, whatever that entails...) of a first edition print of Beethoven‘s violin concerto. A very nice gesture from her. 

I also wonder what that entails...

14 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

From Google Translate:

"A touch of Hollywood in the State Hall:    John Williams, the world-famous film composer ("Harry Potter", "Star Wars" "The Great White Shark", "Indiana Jones" ...) and multiple Oscar winner has paid us a visit! Star violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter has sponsored a book for the first print of Beethoven's famous violin concerto, op. 61, and dedicated it to the great composer legend from Hollywood. After a tour of the current special exhibition “Beethoven. Human world and the spark of the gods ”was the certificate from Director General Dr. Johanna handed over to Rachinger. 📜"

Thank you, I'm also able to use Google translate. ;) Still, it doesn't explain what it's all about.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I also wonder what that entails...

You give the Nationalbibliothek some money for book conservation and get a fancy document in return: ;)

https://www.onb.ac.at/en/rent-support/book-adoption

It just occurred to me, does anyone else think maybe JW is sticking around Vienna a few days to help oversee producing the album? Such as helping decide which takes he likes best, etc. Idk, I just thought it might be a possibility since he would be able to listen back with the VPO people and DG people in the same room. Figured they might want to take advantage of having him physically there, to run some things by him before he flies back. But who knows; just a thought I had.

1 minute ago, Tydirium said:

It just occurred to me, does anyone else think maybe JW is sticking around Vienna a few days to help oversee producing the album? Such as helping decide which takes he likes best, etc. Idk, I just thought it might be a possibility since he would be able to listen back with the VPO people and DG people in the same room.

Someone said in a previous post that he flew home soon after the second concert. Somewhere in this thread.

12 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

orchestra setup

Hm, I wondered about that myself - a very interesting question indeed. In London, centuries ago, he had the cello section in front on the right and the basses even further to the right, I believe. Was nice to actually see them play those sweeping lines in the JFK suite and such.

Somehow it's too bad that recordings and setups are not consistent, because then you always could picture the players on these same spots in your mind when listening with headphones or a good speaker setup. As it stands now you have to adjust your mind's eye via the ears each time. ;)

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

That's amazing! So those are the original handwritten manuscripts from Beethoven, Mozart and Bach?! I knew there was no way Williams would go all the way to Vienna and not explore the rich classical music heritage of the city. Must be surreal being that close to something so historically precious, belonging to an artist he reveres... one wonders what motif he would write for such an artifact were it an Indiana Jones McGuffin? :P

I wonder if he might detour via Bonn on the way home and visit Beethoven House?

I wonder if he left anything of his own in their care...

24 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

McCallum decided to pretend to be younger, picked up a violin, like a Ronin, and sailed for Europe.

You can achieve that by drinking fans' "prequel tears". 

Karol