John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

13 minutes ago, Nagnes said:

Was it on the 1st or the 2nd concert ? I attended the 2nd, and I would say this is on saturday's one, but I'm no more sure of anything. My brain is still upside down :)

It looks like Sunday - judging from the gesture towards the 1st violins at 3:00. Saw a video form Saturday and he didn't do that gesture (see below)

9 minutes ago, carlborg said:

It looks like Sunday - judging from the gesture towards the 1st violins at 3:00. Saw a video form Saturday and he didn't do that gesture (see below)

Yes, you are right. I didn't take the time to compare videos (I'm supposed to be working right now, I prepare the lesson I'm going to teach in half an hour, but I just can't. It will be improvisation today !), but indeed they are from two different days. So now I know that I'm looking for the 1rst seconds before the beginning of the imperial march from saturday ! Thanks :)

50 minutes ago, Nagnes said:

Was it on the 1st or the 2nd concert ? I attended the 2nd, and I would say this is on saturday's one, but I'm no more sure of anything. My brain is still upside down :)

It's the second concert. I can see myself :)

EDIT beaten by carlborg ! 

2 minutes ago, Nils said:

It's been great reading about how people had such a wonderful time in Vienna. Congratulations to eveyone who attended!

Also, it's heartening to see that Williams apparently is in great shape. I had assumed he no longer conducts whole concerts, as he's mostly done only second halves lately. And here he conducts for two and a half hours straight, two days in a row! Amazing and very uplifting!

I have to say, I thought he looked his age, physically frail.Though that didn't seem to reflect in any way on the quality and energy of his conducting. 

38 minutes ago, eitam said:

I have to say, I thought he looked his age, physically frail.Though that didn't seem to reflect in any way on the quality and energy of his conducting. 

Well, at this age his legs won't be as stable so can't exactly prance around the stage. But he looked fine.

Karol

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

:lovethis:

This is so cool :)

I agree that JW was not moving well, I was hoping he not fall on the stage - this can happen even to younger folks, but once he start to conduct, he was full of energy, two 3 hours concerts are a great achievement. 

3 minutes ago, Amer said:

Looks like they are back in New York. Anne Sophie posted a selfie with Spielberg and Williams. 

FB_IMG_1579698768596.jpg

- What is he recording there?!

21 minutes ago, Holko said:

Sacher cake...

:drool:

Dude, me and a girl were having the cake at the Sacher Cafe 2 hours before the concert, and I kid you not, she looks outside and say "is it snowing?" and surely enough, it was. If that's not magic, I don't know what is. The Universe came together this weekend.

27 minutes ago, lairdo said:

And if DG wants to release a load of versions and variants, I will happily buy them all - standard CD, deluxe CD, Blu-ray, LP, mini-LP, digital HD, CD/DVD combo, Coffee table book with CD - whatever!!!! Bring them out as soon as possible! (Please!)

The main cameras were UHD, so a 4k release is possible.

By the way: While waiting before the toilet during the intermission on Sunday I saw 2 men with very nice John Williams T-shirts, showing his face as a mosaic. I overheard one of them saying, that he designed them himself. Is this person here on the forum? Is there any option to buy such a shirt?

35 minutes ago, Gurkensalat said:

By the way: While waiting before the toilet during the intermission on Sunday I saw 2 men with very nice John Williams T-shirts, showing his face as a mosaic. I overheard one of them saying, that he designed them himself. Is this person here on the forum? Is there any option to buy such a short?

Thanks for reminding me of this! Meant to ask after the concert on Sunday but forgot.

4 hours ago, lairdo said:

Williams played on various West Side Story albums early in his career...

Actually, I believe he played in the recording session of the original score itself.

5 hours ago, Amer said:

Looks like they are back in New York. Anne Sophie posted a selfie with Spielberg and Williams. 

Screenshot_20200122-181531_Facebook.jpg

Ah, so that's another (or maybe the main) reason why Dudamel is conducting the NY Phil these two weeks for the first time in 11 years...

6 hours ago, eitam said:

My grandmother was using a walker and needing help getting up from chairs at his age. JW is doing just fine. Seeing photos of him walking around in museums and libraries in his free time also shows that he's doing pretty well.

4 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

My grandmother was using a walker and needing help getting up from chairs at his age. 

...and my grandfather was already dead for 3 years (my other grandfather died before I was born)! My only living grandparent, my maternal grandmother, is soon 91, but far more feeble than Williams, both in mind and body.

So... If ASM and Williams made a stop in NY—and ASM had to be in Kansas City on the 21st—and ASM's earlier IG post said "we had to rush to the airport after Sunday’s concert"...

Does this mean that @wickerman was correct? Was @Jay mistaken? Because it seems based on the info we have that JW did indeed leave Vienna soon after the concert, and traveled with ASM back to the US.

22 hours ago, Tydirium said:

It's a great piece, but I wish he'd have done "The Rise of Skywalker" instead. What better place to give the world premiere of that one, than the Musikverein with the VPO?

He has to have something he can premiere at Tanglewood. ;)

...and now for something completely different:

How should we celebrate the Maestro's birthday on Saturday in two weeks? Toast with something special as if we were still sitting together in Gmoakeller after that amazing debut?

Or experiencing a disc of the concert together? (wishful thinking in both aspects ;))

31 minutes ago, Martinland said:

...and now for something completely different:

How should we celebrate the Maestro's birthday on Sunday after the next one? Toast with something special as if we were still sitting together in Gmoakeller after that amazing debut?

Or experiencing a disc of the concert together? (wishful thinking in two aspects ;))

If we were still in Gmoakeller then @First TROS March Accolyte still wouldn’t have his main dish!