John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

10 minutes ago, Biodome said:

Is "film recording" just a strange way of saying "video recording"? Because when someone says "film", I automatically think of theatrical releases in 35mm orΒ 4K DCP.

Yes. In the German version it says "TV-Konzertmitschnitt", which means something like "tv concert recording", nothing too fancy. πŸ˜‰

3 hours ago, handz said:

Β 

Its funny how all the videos are from the right balcony onlyπŸ˜…

Β 

There's a joke in there somewhere about the Vienna PhilharmonicΒ and the far right, but this isn't the time or the place.

2 hours ago, Tydirium said:

I'm talking about CD recordings. Or were classic albums like "The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration" andΒ "Williams on Williams" culled from live concerts...? I assumed they were recorded separately in sessions.

Β 

The Dudamel/LA Phil Blu-ray (of the earlier concert with Perlman) has Williams conducting the Imperial March as an encore.

Β 

Β 

3 hours ago, Martinland said:

- Which Goldsmith concerts did you attend?

Β 

LSO, in 2001 (at the Royal Albert Hall) and on two successive days in 2003 (at the Barbican). On the first day in 2003 they collected CD covers and returned them with autographs on the second day. I was there in 2004 as well when he had to cancel andΒ BrossΓ© replaced him.

Β 

- What kind of performance are you alluding to? Did you conduct? ;)

Β 

Our choir performed there, a-cappella, some 7-ish years ago. We were hired by some Asian (travel?) agency to take part in a concert featuring several choirs - all the others were Asian, as was most of the audience. We sang for something like 15 or 20 minutes. Definitely cool to sing in the Golden Hall.

Β 

(One of our tenors left two years ago to join the Singverein. Apparently he's sung in the Verdi Requiem which Williams attended)

Β 

- How about a birthday meeting on February 2? I could be coaxed into driving up to Vienna again, there's so much I would still like to talk about ... and celebrate.

Β 

2 February is my aunt's birthday, so, I'm already busy I'm afraid.

Β 

- Some (seemingly) unrelated stuff: You have something to do with animation or games? I did both, our daughter is also interested in both and already drawing animations. (I'm more the cartoon and 3D guy, or (retro) coding/pixeling/composing, when I'm not playing the Theremin (learned the violin though), or listening to film scores or chip music... ;))

Β 

I studied computer sciences and work as a programmer,Β but I've been writing games as a hobby since I was 10. Only ever finished one "real" game (seeΒ here - @ChrisAfonsoΒ provided the score), but I'm hoping to finish two new ones this year. And I've been aware of Chris HΓΌlsbeck several years before I ever heard of John Williams.

Β 

P.S.: Most importantly - when is your birthday?!?

Β 

13 January - the day Williams visited the Musikverein to hear the Verdi Requiem. The Williams concerts were the perfect way to top off my birthday week.

Thanks for answering so thoroughly, Marian! <3

Β 

[...] I was there in 2004 as well when he had to cancel andΒ BrossΓ© replaced him.

Oh, so you actually did experience BrossΓ© as a replacement _twice_ over the years? oO

(You were in London too, right?)

Β 

[...] 2 February is my aunt's birthday, so, I'm already busy I'm afraid.

Haha, my mind must be going since about 5 days, I wonder why...

...I now corrected that in my original post - I actually meant Saturday the 8th of February! LOL

We could toast to the health of the Maestro at the Austrian Film Museum's bar (I love that place), or somewhere else in your vicinity - and to your's, belatedly. (see below)

Β 

[...] I've been aware of Chris HΓΌlsbeck several years before I ever heard of John Williams.

Well, the other way around it would not be such an amazing improvement in instruments and polyphony, right? ;)

Β 

[...] 13 January - the day Williams visited the Musikverein to hear the Verdi Requiem. The Williams concerts were the perfect way to top off my birthday week.

Oh, I thought it will be after the concert - had I known that I would have toasted with you in Gmoakeller for sure; already I was seated between two birthdays at our table: To my left Karol, a day before the concert, and to my right Lara, two days before the concert. *phew* Amazing, huh?

Β 

Let me know if it could work out on February 8 then - I might even check out the Film Museum's screening schedule...

Β 

...if anybody in or around Vienna wants to meet up on February 8 to toast to the good health of then 88-year-old Maestro Williams, just tell us!

Β 

...and of course we could talk a bit more about the concert that left us all in awe and speech- as well as hearingless. (me at least ;)

Β 

Martin

3 minutes ago, Martinland said:

Oh, I thought it will be after the concert - had I known that I would have toasted with you in Gmoakeller for sure; already I was seated between two birthdays at our table: To my left Karol, a day before the concert, and to my right Lara, two days before the concert. *phew* Amazing, huh?

Oh, so that's her name...Β :lol:

Β 

2 hours ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Oh, so that's her name...Β :lol:

She also has been known under the screen name Princess Layer, now she's Layer only; and in her "8-Bit youth" with me, she was Crudla. (from an olympic games parody on the Commodore 64 set in the stone age, haha)

Β 

Sorry for not introducing her to you properly, especially since you are only 4 years apart - I was out of my mind, literally and understandably I hope.

Β 

I am still waiting for a picture to pop up in which you can see Williams at the stage entrace waving back to the Golden Hall and her standing right next to him; that would be a marvellous memento, that's what it was like for her, he nearly shook her hands! In the only picture I found in one of the reviews, she's hidden by her neighbour sitting/standing in front of her in Parterre-Loge. (one reason I am looking forward to the official video, there she should be visible for all posterity ;))

Β 

Β 

<joke>See you on February 8 in Vienna!</joke> ;-D

Β 

Martin

Does anybody have new information concerning the release dates of the CD/DVD/BD of this historic event?

Β 

Fortunately those will be produced by a top quality label using top quality recording technology ... incredibly, I can live by recalling my dream-like memories for only so much longer and therefore am looking forward to these artefacts, so that emotions felt and sensations experienced during these precious couple of hours (that felt so extraordinary long while they lasted but went by too quickly in hindsight) might be re-triggered by employing them.

Β 

Oh well, I sound like an addict with a language problem, so be it. ;)

I'm dying for CD news/for this CD to be released. For the VPO'sΒ New Year's Concerts, the album is always released within the month, and the DVD/Blu-Ray comes out only a couple months later. I guess I had hoped for this to be the case with this concert as well...Β but then I remembered that this release is being handled by DG, whereas the New Year's Concerts are usually done by Sony Classical. And now DG has said that the DVD will come first, and the CD will come "later" this year. I can only wonder how "late"...

41 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

The audience on Sunday was clearly much more timid than that on Saturday. I hope the thunderous reactions from the first concert find their way onto the video release, and not be hushed out of it. Otherwise they will have to remain solely in our memories and tales.

Well I must say that on Saturday there was a more β€œwoodstock” atmosphere but the Sunday wasn’t cold either

Speaking of videos: Does anybody of you (especially you crumbs, who re-posted that here) know how to contact "LaCaraB_cine", who posted that short snippet of the Star Wars Main Title on Twitter? He managed to capture our whole family (distributed across the hall) but the resolution is so poor you have to know it to recognise it. I don't do Twitter, so... ...any help appreciated. ;)

Β 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Martinland said:

Speaking of videos: Does anybody of you (especially you crumbs, who re-posted that here) know how to contact "LaCaraB_cine", who posted that short snippet of the Star Wars Main Title on Twitter? He managed to capture our whole family (distributed across the hall) but the resolution is so poor you have to know it to recognise it. I don't do Twitter, so... ...any help appreciated. ;)

Β 

Thanks!

Β 

Sorry mate, no idea. Just found it on YouTube searching for Williams videos.

51 minutes ago, apples said:

Anyone else experiencing some post ViennaΒ depression?Β 

It's like, I was looking forward to the concerts for so long - then it happened and now...my life feels so empty 😒

Tell me about it - I somehow sleep-walked through the last week - for all I know the concert could have been yesterday; in fact I wish I could go back in time and experience it for the _first_ time again, only cherishing each moment twice as much. Somehow I have the nagging feeling I missed every second moment because I was being so emotional the whole time and could have soaked in so much more. Oh, well, that's why they call these ONCE-in-a-lifetime experiences, I guess. *sigh*

Β 

P.S.: ...and the amazing, intimate, detailed, rich, noise-free, and warm acoustics of this live performance and the Golden Hall of Musikverein especially (compared to this, the Barbican Hall of the London Symphony feels like a stadium now), how will I be able to listen to anything through speakers or headphones now? *double*sigh*

13 minutes ago, Martinland said:

Tell me about it - I somehow sleep-walked through the last week - for all I know the concert could have been yesterday; in fact I wish I could go back in time and experience it for the _first_ time again, only cherishing each moment twice as much. Somehow I have the nagging feeling I missed every second moment because I was being so emotional the whole time and could have soaked in so much more. Oh, well, that's why they call these ONCE-in-a-lifetime experiences, I guess. *sigh*

Β 

P.S.: ...and the amazing, intimate, detailed, rich, noise-free, and warm acoustics of this live performance and the Golden Hall of Musikverein especially (compared to this, the Barbican Hall of the London Symphony feels like a stadium now), how will I be able to listen to anything through speakers or headphones now? *double*sigh*

Come on Martin, as I affectionatelyΒ told you at Gmoakeller, we’ll do it all again at the Royal Albert Hall now JW has realised what he can do!Β 

1 hour ago, apples said:

Anyone else experiencing some post ViennaΒ depression?

Β 

Post-Vienna (well, post-concert, in my case) sickness, more like. Might actually be a proper flu this time. I haven't even listened to any music in 5 days - that can't be healthy.

26 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Β 

Post-Vienna (well, post-concert, in my case) sickness, more like. Might actually be a proper flu this time. I haven't even listened to any music in 5 days - that can't be healthy.

Oh, get well soon - we have to celebrate the Maestro's birthday later on... ;)

Β 

...now that you mention it: I almost fell ill myself - I cured my aching throat with lots of tea, just in time. *phew*

Β 

We were quite well a week ago - might have something to do with PVSD[1].

Β 

[1] Post Viennese Stress Disorder

44 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Β 

Β 

I'm sick too, though I didn't attend the concert and am on another continent.Β Just that time of year, I guess. Feel better!

22 hours ago, carlborg said:

I'm still amazed about the acoustics in this place...

This was the only place where you can film at this balcony - the cops were sharp in this are!

Another thing I find weird - why are there only videos from the encore? :)Β  Does anyone have JP, CE3K or Flight to neverland?

Considering all the videos of Imperial March here, we can do a nice multi cam cut already hah

21 minutes ago, St0rMl0rD said:

Check one post above, I captured it :)

The video doesn't work for me. And I did'nt have the time to download the original... Any way to get it from one of you who have grabbed it ?

Β 

48 minutes ago, Nagnes said:

The video doesn't work for me. And I did'nt have the time to download the original... Any way to get it from one of you who have grabbed it ?

Β 

Can you try again? Should work fine in VLC, I used Quicktime on macOS to capture it.

18 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

I also got badly sick after the concert - are our nervous constitutions that frail?!

Β 

I caught a minor cold in Vienna, too. HadΒ a sore throat, dizziness, and a slight fever fromΒ Monday toΒ Tuesday. Big, once-in-a-lifetime concerts are always a risk, since people go there even if they are sick and contagious.

2 hours ago, St0rMl0rD said:

Aaaand it's gone lol...Good thing I screen captured it ;)

Β 

John_Williams_and_Vienna_Philharmonic_Orchestra_-_The_Imperial_March_(excerpt).mov

Thank you for capturing it - I hope that the official release will look better, it has horrible colors and contrast.Β  But I am happy that the performance footage is from Sunday.

1 minute ago, handz said:

Thank you for capturing it - I hope that the official release will look better, it has horrible colors and contrast.Β  But I am happy that the performance footage is from Sunday.

Β 

It will probably be from both days.Β 

20 hours ago, apples said:

Anyone else experiencing some post ViennaΒ depression?Β 

Β 

It's like, I was looking forward to the concerts for so long - then it happened and now...my life feels so empty 😒

Β 

no, on the contrary I am still happily reliving those experiences. And looking forward to the release of a Blu-ray.Β 

Β 

On the other hand one needs to have more than one hobby, so one can switch to the next highlight. We attended on Saturday an excellent String quartet Festival with exemplary interpretations. It did complement the Vienna concert in a lot of things.Β 

14 minutes ago, handz said:

Β 

Are you sure? I could not recognize me at the place I sat. While I could do it in the Imperial march Encore video posted above.

Β 

3 minutes ago, Gurkensalat said:

Β 

no, on the contrary I am still happily reliving those experiences. And looking forward to the release of a Blu-ray.Β 

Β 

On the other hand one needs to have more than one hobby, so one can switch to the next highlight. We attended on Saturday an excellent String quartet Festival with exemplary interpretations. It did complement the Vienna concert in a lot of things.Β 

Β 

Are you sure? I could not recognize me at the place I sat. While I could do it in the Imperial march Encore video posted above.

Β 

I can see myself thereΒ  so at least some of the footage is from Sunday, but they may use both days for different angles, which would be a bit weird but possible.Β 

36 minutes ago, handz said:

I can see myself thereΒ  so at least some of the footage is from Sunday, but they may use both days for different angles, which would be a bit weird but possible.Β 

Β 

You think its weird they would use video and audio from both days depending on which is of better quality?