John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

You think its weird they would use video and audio from both days depending on which is of better quality?

If they would use footage from 2 different days for one musical piece that would be really weird. Of course that for the whole concert they will use footage from both days. 

3 hours ago, Biodome said:

I caught a minor cold in Vienna, too. Had a sore throat, dizziness, and a slight fever from Monday to Tuesday. Big, once-in-a-lifetime concerts are always a risk, since people go there even if they are sick and contagious.

I'd say our immune systems were caught off-guard since we were completely occupied by "other things", heh.

2 hours ago, handz said:

If they would use footage from 2 different days for one musical piece that would be really weird. Of course that for the whole concert they will use footage from both days. 

For audio maybe, but its probably not noticeable for video. Especially just shots of the orchestra.

1 hour ago, Martinland said:

I'd say our immune systems were caught off-guard since we were completely occupied by "other things", heh.

Yeah, I know. My leukocytes probably took a few days off to dance to Williams' music, and I don't blame them.

22 hours ago, handz said:

If they would use footage from 2 different days for one musical piece that would be really weird.

I believe that would be the norm. It's certainly normal for release versions to be blends of live and rehearsal takes, plus pickup recordings like the ones Williams made on Sunday after the concert.

On 1/24/2020 at 1:36 AM, Martinland said:

Oh, so you actually did experience Brossé as a replacement _twice_ over the years? oO

(You were in London too, right?)

Yes, and that's why I was very happy (under the circumstances) when Brossé was announced as the backup conductor.

Haha, my mind must be going since about 5 days, I wonder why...

...I now corrected that in my original post - I actually meant Saturday the 8th of February! LOL

I was wondering. ;) Can't do the 8th either though, since that's now the replacement date for my own birthday family feast - moved from last Saturday because I was sick. (I'm actually listening to music again now for the first time in a week)

Anyway, the proper way to celebrate Williams's birthday is to play his music all day long anyway. ;)

Oh, I thought it will be after the concert - had I known that I would have toasted with you in Gmoakeller for sure; already I was seated between two birthdays at our table: To my left Karol, a day before the concert, and to my right Lara, two days before the concert. *phew* Amazing, huh?

Hang on, we have two Karols who had their birthday just before the concerts?

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Can't do the 8th [...] that's now the replacement date for my own birthday family feast.

Hm, too bad. Oh, well... ...at least you celebrate multiple birthdays! \o/

(I'm actually listening to music again now for the first time in a week)

Woah! Nice try - I, on the other hand, tried a couple of times to listen to anything other than streamingsoundtracks (and that one only after a couple of dozen hours later) but today I still noticed: Just can't! It all feels so hollow. (wanted to move my limbs a bit to some classy dance music from the 70s and early 80s tonight via a streaming radio show from Sweden, alas...) oO

[...] the proper way to celebrate Williams's birthday is to play his music all day long

Wisely spoken. We could exchange ideas for tracks on/until February 8 then, and describe why we chose them; even could listen to them "together" and elaborate on our impressions here. (which would be easier if in the same room, granted)

Maybe someone starts a birthday thread just in time. ;)

11 hours ago, Maglorfin said:

In this topic, there has already been some speculation about WP seating on JW concerts and we had a good chat of our own with @Marian Schedenig so I decided to ask my friend who plays double bass in the orchestra (and also played in both JW concerts). He told me the following: I don't know, we always play in this [i.e. American] setup when we're touring and sometimes also in the Musikverein, depends on the programme/project. I think Williams didn't care about the setup we play in.

After Saturday's concert (which I attended), he also told me that the orchestra loved this project and working with JW who "was very nice to everybody" and that he - the bass player - rewatched E.T. before this project "to remember it all". He pointed out the unprecedented reaction of the public which, so he said, "we've never experienced before, regardless of either conductor or venue". They had three rehearsals with Johnny before Saturday. During the intermission I also spoke to percussionist Thomas Lechner (he played the timpani in JW concerts) whom I also met some 10 years ago and he told me basically the same thing - couldn't sing enough praise to the project. He told me he totally remembers how he cried at the end of E.T. when he was a kid and that being able to play all this music with the Maestro himself at the helm is (was) for him a huge privilege.

Slovenec! Pozdravljen :) Cool that you know Iztok! Perhaps we'll meet next time then :)

1 hour ago, Martinland said:

P.S.: Couldn't resist, had to give "End Title" of Jaws 2 a spin too. (w/o "End Cast" ;))

What an excellent idea, just listened to the very same thing yesterday and marvelled at its beauty - kind of "out of place" in a Bruce movie almost! :mrgreen:

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, the first film had a similar serene ending. :)

True, but it is much more restrained. The other one, mentioned above, creates an emotional arc with a crescendo that culminates in something like a celebration in one drawn-out chord progression, a climax of emotion that quickly fades out of existence again, quite unique and moving (and applyable to all kinds of deeply human experiences) when you compare it to more flashy or quiet or even classical endings employed by the Maestro in other pieces from his oeuvre.

10 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

How many microphones can you spot?

image.png

Reveal hidden contents

Hopefully they can capture the sound of the Golden Hall and the mix is not that dry and close miced so these epic horns can really shine :D Even in the rear part of the hall, the sound was still quite as perfect as it can be.

! On first glance I would've said 8-10. ...and at least one video camera. ;)

3 hours ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

Hopefully they can capture the sound of the Golden Hall and the mix is not that dry and close miced so these epic horns can really shine

Right, let's hope...

If anyone has heard other event recordings at this venue on CD, Blu ray or DVD from DG  then that should give pretty much of an idea how the acoustics will sound. 

1 hour ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

DG's recent Beethoven cycle and New Year's Concert 2020 both sound really muddy in the bass compared to older recordings. Let's hope for a miracle.

Are you referring to this cycle, by Andris Nelsons?  I've just recently acquired it, and I think it sounds great.

Beethoven Nelsons.jpg

3 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Not to me, when compared to the 2012 Thieleman & VPO recording (Sony Classical) I got as a Musikverein member's gift, or DG's older Beethoven VPO recording (Kleiber 1974).

Fair enough.  I'm not familiar with those recordings, so I'll try to check them out.  I'm a bit of a nut for Beethoven symphonies, so I'll never turn down a recommendation!  Thanks!

7 hours ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Not to me, when compared to the 2012 Thieleman & VPO recording (Sony Classical) I got as a Musikverein member's gift, or DG's older Beethoven VPO recording (Kleiber 1974), or to older New Year's concerts.

Then again, nothing sounds better than Kleiber‘s Beethoven recordings. 😉 I kind of see what you‘re saying, the Nelsons recordings don‘t sound quite as clear.

7 hours ago, Matt S. said:

Fair enough.  I'm not familiar with those recordings, so I'll try to check them out.  I'm a bit of a nut for Beethoven symphonies, so I'll never turn down a recommendation!  Thanks!

You absolutely should check out Carlos Kleiber‘s recordings of the 5th and 7th symphonies with the VPO as well as the 4th with the Bavarian State Orchestra. I completely adore these recordings. 😍 I‘d forget about the Thielemann cycle - it may sound clearer, but the interpretations are imho worse than Nelsons. I think Blomstedt with the Gewandhaus Orchestra would be a good choice in terms of a 21st cycle with great sound quality.

Those seats were empty during the first half of the Sunday concert. I briefly contemplated switching to them in the last minute, but did not want to risk a disturbance. In the break some people took them switching from worse seats. I guess there was a group that could somehow not make it to the concert; I am sure those places were sold.

1 hour ago, Gurkensalat said:

Those seats were empty during the first half of the Sunday concert. I briefly contemplated switching to them in the last minute, but did not want to risk a disturbance. In the break some people took them switching from worse seats. I guess there was a group that could somehow not make it to the concert; I am sure those places were sold.

Oh man...Talk about missing out

2 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

Those seats were empty during the first half of the Sunday concert. I briefly contemplated switching to them in the last minute, but did not want to risk a disturbance.

Reading this is like a dagger to the heart for fans like me who desperately tried to get front row tickets, but got locked out in the website Armageddon when general sale tickets went up.

3 hours ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

how embarassing

for whom?

Generally I am not surprised. People get sick suddenly or miss a train or the grandma dies. Things happen.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Reading this is like a dagger to the heart for fans like me who desperately tried to get front row tickets, but got locked out in the website Armageddon when general sale tickets went up.

Well I was one of them. And then the waiting list came to the rescue...