John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Reading this is like a dagger to the heart for fans like me who desperately tried to get front row tickets, but got locked out in the website Armageddon when general sale tickets went up.

Was there such a thing this time? I don't know. I had my ticket a few days before the general sale.

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Was there such a thing this time? I don't know. I had my ticket a few days before the general sale.

Yeah, I spent nearly an hour trying to get tickets when the general sale went up, only for the website to crash. When it went back up, tickets were unavailable and you could only join a waiting list. I didn't bother (perhaps foolishly, because it seems some people here still got tickets via the waiting list, but who knows if they were particularly good seats).

I won't make the mistake again if JW decides to do another concert in Vienna. I'll just pay the membership for the early release tickets.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yeah, I spent nearly an hour trying to get tickets when the general sale went up, only for the website to crash. When it went back up, tickets were unavailable and you could only join a waiting list. I didn't bother (perhaps foolishly, because it seems some people here still got tickets via the waiting list, but who knows if they were particularly good seats).

I won't make the mistake again if JW decides to do another concert in Vienna. I'll just pay the membership for the early release tickets.

I tend to get offered tickets these days, so I dunno how the paupers and unwashed heathens acquire theirs.

2 hours ago, lemoncurd said:

there were at least 10 empty seats in the balcony on the Sunday concert....

Yeah, but I assume (I didn't go to the Sunday concert myself) that you're referring to the Direktionsloge of the Musikverein (in the middle of the left side balcony), which is not for sale but reserved for the Direktion (and their guests?). There's almost always empty seats there, which is kind of dumb. At the same time, they run the whole thing. 🤷‍♂️

18 hours ago, crumbs said:

It took me 30 minutes of frantic refreshing 3 different browsers to get the two tickets, but once they rebooted the server, I had 40 seconds (ticket reservation time of 15 minutes) to enter my bank details and confirm the purchase, with 5 seconds left in the end...And this was in the members presale.

54 minutes ago, St0rMl0rD said:

It took me 30 minutes of frantic refreshing 3 different browsers to get the two tickets, but once they rebooted the server, I had 40 seconds (ticket reservation time of 15 minutes) to enter my bank details and confirm the purchase, with 5 seconds left in the end...And this was in the members presale.

Same. Time ran out but no browser worked for me so I called the Konzertkassa 42 times until I got through... Then it was easy :sarcasm:

21 hours ago, Stefancos said:

YES there was, i had my ticked reserved in basket 2 hours before general sale started and then I just have to cit pay - but this took like 15 minutes to load and site then crashed... Payment went through but they had no record of the purchase at their website.... it was the most stressful experience ever. 

20 hours ago, Matthias said:

Yeah, but I assume (I didn't go to the Sunday concert myself) that you're referring to the Direktionsloge of the Musikverein (in the middle of the left side balcony), which is not for sale but reserved for the Direktion (and their guests?). There's almost always empty seats there, which is kind of dumb. At the same time, they run the whole thing. 🤷‍♂️

Ja, genau... Crazy.

On 2/3/2020 at 9:49 AM, Gurkensalat said:

Those seats were empty during the first half of the Sunday concert. I briefly contemplated switching to them in the last minute, but did not want to risk a disturbance. In the break some people took them switching from worse seats. I guess there was a group that could somehow not make it to the concert; I am sure those places were sold.

I was the one who sat there after the pause - it was looking really sad to have such an empty place in front of JW  himself...

So where are the physical media by Deutsche Grammophon? I am suffering from severe withdrawal symptoms here... ...tomorrow is an important date, how could they miss this opportunity to release something exactly three weeks later? ;)

19 hours ago, Martinland said:

So where are the physical media by Deutsche Grammophon? I am suffering from severe withdrawal symptoms here... ...tomorrow is an important date, how could they miss this opportunity to release something exactly three weeks later? ;)

I think it would take longer than 3 weeks to prepare the physical release. Nine cameras, two concerts, several rehearsals and pick-up recordings from dozens of microphones. I wouldn't be surprised if this took months. Also, afaik there's going to be a documentary/behind-the-scenes featurette as well.

1 hour ago, Biodome said:

I think it would take longer than 3 weeks to prepare the physical release. Nine cameras, two concerts, several rehearsals and pick-up recordings from dozens of microphones. I wouldn't be surprised if this took months. Also, afaik there's going to be a documentary/behind-the-scenes featurette as well.

Well, they usually manage to do swift releases with their New Year's Day concert and the Midsummer Night's one, but I see your point that this is something special, not only for us...

...so the longer we have to wait, the better the release will be!

Yes, that's a nice way to think about it.

Can we agree on that? ;)

P.S.: There even might be a scheduling hurdle because the TV channel as co-producer may have exclusive rights for its broadcast "early this year"...

On 2/8/2020 at 5:32 PM, Martinland said:

Well, they usually manage to do swift releases with their New Year's Day concert and the Midsummer Night's one, but I see your point that this is something special, not only for us...

...so the longer we have to wait, the better the release will be!

Yes, that's a nice way to think about it.

Can we agree on that? ;)

P.S.: There even might be a scheduling hurdle because the TV channel as co-producer may have exclusive rights for its broadcast "early this year"...

There is no need for swift release, and I hope they wont hurry - more time = more attention. 

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Great read, really brings back memories from that weekend. I didn‘t know that Sinkovicz was an opponent of JW‘s music, I usually enjoy his reviews. I guess a lot of classical music people still fall victim to this excessive compartmentalization of musical genres. A shame.

A question about queuing up for concert tickets in Vienna for Mr. Schedenig: Do the ticket offices open before tickets are available online? (or were you just trying to avoid a crashing website) I‘ve only done this once at the Philharmoniker ticket office and they did indeed open up like 5 minutes early – so I‘m wondering if this is the usual procedure. 🤔 Thanks!

An excellent and thorough report @Marian Schedenig! I sadly couldn't make it but am looking forward to listening to the recordings of the concert. :) 

20 hours ago, Thor said:

Amazing, thank you for that Marian!

Well, this is my first real post (that is aside from the intro post several months back) on this forum, so I hope I won't bore you guys to death, as if I feel I could write a whole novel! :D

(I'm getting back to this intro after having written out my post....well, "sorry" for being too eager, I hope there is at least one of you who will manage to go through it, and even get a chill or two :lol: )

First of all, I want to wholeheartedly thank the team behind this site and the associated Facebook page, for sharing the news on the JW's concerts in Vienna. I remember seeing the original announcements for 2018 with Vienna Philharmonic and LSO @Royal Albert Hall gigs, but I wasn't able to attend any of these. When I saw the news for 01/2020 concerts, and knowing that the previous European (+UK :P) gigs were either cancelled or ultimately not conducted by JW himself, I didn't have any second thoughts whatsoever. This time, I would MAKE it happen no matter what!

Now, one month later, I still feel the shock waves from [the second of the two Vienna concerts] and from the fact that I could see JW himself only a few meters away from me.... And, again, one month later, I still have this urge to run around left and right and scream and share and spread these feels. (the last time something like this happened to me was when I first saw AC/DC live in concert, over 10 years ago now) All the more because I don't really have people in my vicinity who are that sort of passionate fans of contemporary people or art or anything of the sort (well, I do have sports fans, but I don't really care for that), so it's really difficult to have someone to really share these stories and feelings with. I must say though, that I did share it with a friend on an occasion very quickly (she's not any sort of a fangirl, but is very emotional and lives for the moment), and I brought her to tears instantaneously :lol: That was really quite something.

So I came here (I initially signed up for this forum because I'd wanted to see what happened to the YT channel "FilmScoreMedia", and since it reappeared on YT only a few days later, I set the forum aside :lol:) to check out what the other people thought and felt, and so on....and I was brave enough to read through this entire thread, and ohboy.... The problem I have now is that almost literally EVERYTHING I wanted to say has already been said by various people here and there; so I feel that my "venting" about how mindblowing the whole thing was, and how Musikverein ticket service should get themselves stuffed, and what not - would be super redundant :unsure: But since I came here with an intention, I'll briefly summarise the experience, in case it might be interesting to somebody. I'll do my best to add some personal elements (as if there are elements that are not personal), and maybe add some thoughts on the "metaphysical" aspects this whole thing, which were hinted at throughout the thread too:)

Firstly - getting the tickets - I immediately went into it as if I was getting tickets for a dinosaur rock band, i.e. I made sure to set 5 different alarms in the morning, got to my office as quickly as I could using the least risky public transport, etc....so I was armed and ready on the Musikverein website one hour beforehand. Thanks the member pre-sales and the awful website that seemingly wasn't ready for this flux - I BARELY got the 8€ standing tickets for myself and my brother. We didn't care about standing, but I was super scared that it would be a place from where you actually cannot SEE the stage; but when I figured it all out afterwards, my gosh....there wasn't anybody happier on the planet! (except for all you guys who got the tix too!)

Maybe this is where I could provide some context regarding my relationship to JW. For me, it has always been STAR WARS, first and foremost. I've been a huge Star Wars person all my life, as quite probably 90% of this forum is, and ever since I've first seen documentaries on old Star Wars on the telly, there's always been this one man whose contribution to the phenomenon is beyond any praise. (cliché alert) I mean, if you get lightning struck when you're a 6 year old kid, struck by a film scene (opening titles, ANH) which consists only of MUSIC....there is no doubt that the man who is "responsible" for those glorious sounds will be a hero of sorts. And then when, growing up and devouring all things Star Wars and behind the scenes, you figure out what an amazing artist and human being this person is, the relationship becomes all the more personal. While I would definitely freak out if I met any of the people involved with Lucas' Star Wars, I think nobody else's (apart from Lucas himself) presence would touch me more than Johnny's. 

So, growing up and watching films and what not....it is close to impossible to not be exposed to other magnieficent music he's made over the decades, and many of these tunes/themes are on my regular playlists, and always bring some sort of happy feels when they pop out somewhere. Big classics like Indiana Jones theme, Adventures from Earth, Close Encounters Theme, Hedwig's Theme are regular favourites of course, and many of his other pieces bring unavoidable smile to the face the moment you recognise the John Williams sound....but it all goes back to Star Wars for me; the score which, after all these years I keep (re)descovering note by note, and which helps me greatly to constantly dig into ever new layers of the films that have shaped my life in so many ways.

For that reason, when I saw the concert programme (and I wasn't even aware through how many different changes it went prior to reading this topic!), I was "somewhat" "disappointed" (not really, but you know) that there were several pieces that I'd never heard before in my life. But hey, there was "Accross the Stars" and two more, so it's okay! And there was BOUND to be "Imperial March" as the encore, right?? So it's excellent!!! And again - Johhny himself was going to be there, come on!!! 

So when the day came, I again approached the problem as if I was going to the last ever AC/DC concert, and I want to have the optimal places (within the purchased ticket category....) - so we came a bit earlier! It was very cold, I had forgotten how cruel the continental winter can be, but it did not matter by a long shot. We were among the first ones some 50min before they opened the doors on the Sunday morning. Very quickly though, more and more people started piling up, so the tension was escalating dramatically! It was super cool to see that there were so many generations represented, and so many people from different origins! (judging from the languages at least!) My brother and I are from Serbia, but with strong ties to Norway (and I live in France), and we heard a bit of all of these languages here and there (well, we didn't hear Serbian, but there seem to have been quite a few Slovenians, so big hello to them! :lol:)

Well, we entered, we got rather good places in the standing area, and oh my, I just couldn't stand the wait no more! 

And then the concert, well, you've heard and seen all there is to say about it, as much as the words can convey the feelings. Johhny is here, he is real, he is not just an idol that you've ever been seeing on different screens, a distant object - he is real, and he is here, breathing the same air that you do, while doing his magic! Can I say how much I cried seeing him and listenng to him? Tears flowing all around my face, and down my neck....I literally don't remember when I cried that many tears of joy, for that long time! Harry Potter, E.T., Star Wars, Luke and Leia....and then when unexpectedly I heard the first notes of the Raider's March, I lost it so much that for the Imperial March I didn't have any left :lol: For what indeed must be the best rendering of the Imperial March that I'd ever heard too, I was firm as a rock, simply because there were no more tears left to shed :lol: 

I had discovered only the day before that Anne-Sophie Mutter would be the guest star of the concert, which did not really come as a surprise given their recent collaboration, but I cannot really say that I was happy with this. Two reasons for this - I actually DON'T like the sound of solo violin, there's just something about it that bugs me on the fundamental level, no matter how virtuoso the player (and ohboy, ASM is such a virtuoso!), and then - if I have 2h dedicated to JW playing his music, well, I want to spend these 2h listening to the music arranged the way I've always known! But OK, hey, even if it was one piece, it's a "moment to treasure forever", to quote our Maestro....

And to get back on the "positive" side, I've actually enjoyed most of the pieces arranged for ASM, especially those that I wasn't all too familiar with beforehand. Even someone like myself (not a music expert, no absolute pitches, nothing of the sort) could hear a blunder or two she made during Harry Potter suite, but it all adds to the entire "human" aspect of the whole thing, if I may say so. 

I never was aware that there exists "an awkward shorter cut of Luke and Leia theme"; I was a tiny wee bit disappointed with the cuts made to the theme, but again, OK.

So the big challenge of the concert (and this is not meant as new age crap) was really living the moment, hearing the sounds, feeling the art, and the crowd (you've all shared the praises to the crowd, I can only add to it, and express pleasure to have contributed to it!), and not getting lost in the excitement, in the sentiments (melancholic or other), admiration for the man who in his 88 years is passionately (yet so modestly) doing wonders on the stage for two hours....and I think I was up to it! 

(but in any case, I cannot wait for the DVD to be published :D )

But aside from that, what actually struck me as "a fanboy" (not only of JW, but of Star Wars, of many great rock bands, of many comic book artists, etc....), was the constant interrogations I had with myself, and often discussed with my brother on Sunday, on the way we relate to these people we "idolise" for one reason or another (in this case Johnny for his music and/or contribution to Star Wars, obv. :D). I mean, you are there, the person is there in front of you, doing his/her thing, and yet you want something more even. Depending on what your (sub)conscious drivers are, you will want to either shake hands, or say or to talk, or hang out with, or get a signature on your Star Wars underpants, or get a photo, or all of these....but why? Like, what do I actually get from this?

I have participated in the event, I have lived these emotions, I will carry the memory as long as I live (and don't get Alzheimer's hopefully), so what more will I get if my Vienna postcard is signed by this man? This man for whom I have utmost respect, and yet I want to violate his privacy and possibility of free movement around, because I have this "Platonic relationship" I've constructed over the years, that I (probably naturally) feel the other person should share, and then I seek different expressions of this. And I've been through this with other people before (e.g. different comic artists I care(d) about a lot; I've been on many AC/DC concerts, but I never went anywhere near the band :(:D ), and I've been through photos, autographs, "I wanna talk to you but I don't know what to say what exactly", "I have a present for you", "[please see me, acknowledge me as a part of your greatness, and make me particular in your eyes]", so this time I really had struggle with feelings. JW is someone who's quite old, and even besides that, he's someone with not the best track record for leaving the States for performing. On the other hand, I'm not someone who leaves Europe very often.... (e.g. I've never been to the States) So this time might easily be the last time I encounter the man. 

So, to anchor this rambling in what happened on Sunday - what happened is that we, somewhat unwillingly, left Musikverein after the Sunday concert; the event was done, you have to let it go and go on. We had another few hours that we could spend in the city before hitting the airport, so we took the right turn when we left the building, "just in case we might stumble upon Johhny; I mean, you never know!" 

So we go behind, and we see a small crowd standing between Musikverein and the Hotel Imperial; and from my long term fan experience, I know that a crowd must be gathered there where they know (or at least where there's a very high likelyhood) that the star will appear! And then moreover, if he's staying in Imperial, damn, then we might even see him for the whole 10 seconds it will take him to cross the street! (rather than 5 seconds it will take him to get into the car) I literally just wanted to see the man, maybe wave hand, I stood on the opposite side of the street, away from the crowd well equipped with pens and props to be signed. The cold shower came when the car actually entered Musikverein, to pick him up on the inside, damn, those bastards who keep the artists away from the fans...! (while I'm still telling myself "damn, it is very cold, the man must be very tired, leave him alone for god's sake")

But the car swings back into the street, and I'm so freaked out that I was in a position where Johnny will drive by just a meter away from me. I wave at the approaching car; Johhny waves back politely - he acknowledged me, me alone, I wasn't a part of the crowd! Damn, I peed my pants, I jumped on the spot with a scream! (I even have a video to prove it :lol:)

Fortunately (?), we followed the same path taken by the car, only to see that another crowd was in front of the main entrance to the Imperial; Johnny was indeed residing there! 

So now there was no doubt, screw strolling through the city; say hello to the cold, and hope that JW will come out before we have to head for the airport (we have another 2h at this moment). Standing there, and watching the hotel bouncers (I mean, security agents) enjoying being jerks_for_money there, and then watching all these people passing by and all being looked at with eyes shouting "move along, you're not John Williams!" :D At one point, ASM came out of the hotel, and I actually feel bad that the way she was treated was not much better than that. (there was a small applause and a few thanks thrown, but she deserved much more than that!) 

Many people had a lot of JW OST records with them; we were near a guy who was trying to slip a present to John Williams through one of the bouncers (who was actually cooperating, I was pleasantly suprised). The same guy later commented, listening to an exchange I had with an Italian fan (I think, judging on his accent) that, I paraphrase and I add context to his words: "JW should take time to give a few autographs, since we buy his CDs". Suffice it to say that I was baffled at this sort of attitude?

Eventually, Johnny came out, and we could actually see the man going to the car, waving to all of us, with age-induced fragility of which you couldn't see a tinyest trace during his stage time, which in itself again strikes you very profoundly, and speaks of the man's passion and honesty when living and sharing what he loves and is good at. And this life-changing experience, no matter how many times you feel it (from your heroes, or "less important" people that you encounter in your daily life) it always feels like the first time, and these cannot be captured in any autograph or any other material trace of the whole encounter. 

I don't even know what more I would say, even though I feel that there is so much more.

Thank you so much again, to the team behind the website, without whose engagement I would most certainly not have experienced this, would not have met the man whose music changed my life so long ago (25 years now....), and follows me day by day. 

I maybe wish I had come back to the forum BEFORE the concert, so maybe I could have met with some of you guys in person in Vienna, to share these moments with fellow fans (and discuss on how and why we relate to these people the way we do, and why we all agree that we would have loved to hear some film pieces from the SW Prequel Trilogy, like Finale from "Attack of the Clones" :lol:), but who knows, one day.... :)

On 2/5/2020 at 7:02 PM, handz said:

I was the one who sat there after the pause - it was looking really sad to have such an empty place in front of JW  himself...

it was not allowed to just go and sit there. People tried and were sent away. The management decided who got to sit there after the break. Apparently it had to look good for the Blue-Ray. 

1 hour ago, MSM said:

it was not allowed to just go and sit there. People tried and were sent away. The management decided who got to sit there after the break. Apparently it had to look good for the Blue-Ray. 

I don't know the policy at the Musikverein. At the State Opera, they always keep lists of all the empty seats at the beginning, and don't allow people without matching tickets to take them after the intermissions.

On 2/28/2020 at 5:54 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

I don't know the policy at the Musikverein. At the State Opera, they always keep lists of all the empty seats at the beginning, and don't allow people without matching tickets to take them after the intermissions.

Which is  really stupid - why the hell are they doing this - what is the point?  The tickets to the front rows are always cheaper than the 3rd  and further (or even far away balconies) And it really looks bad when  in the middle of the front row there is 10 empty seats like it was here.  I asked the director about it and she was super nice and said it is not problem at all to sit there, as it  will look much better on video than if there are empty seats...

6 hours ago, handz said:

Which is  really stupid - why the hell are they doing this - what is the point?  The tickets to the front rows are always cheaper than the 3rd  and further (or even far away balconies) And it really looks bad when  in the middle of the front row there is 10 empty seats like it was here.  I asked the director about it and she was super nice and said it is not problem at all to sit there, as it  will look much better on video than if there are empty seats...

Still far more expensive than standing area tickets. Whether it makes sense to not let people from cheap seats take unoccupied expensive ones is another question, of course.

21 hours ago, handz said:

Was I sitting next to you? 😃

47 minutes ago, eitam said:

Every event in March at the Musikverein is cancelled due to some virus going around. Thank God the Januray concerts weren't scheduled 2 months later!

That's what I've been thinking for the past two weeks.

I was about to see Wagner's entire Ring (with a stellar cast) at the State Opera over the next two and a half weeks, but that too got cancelled.

On 3/11/2020 at 1:43 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

That's what I've been thinking for the past two weeks.

I was about to see Wagner's entire Ring (with a stellar cast) at the State Opera over the next two and a half weeks, but that too got cancelled.

Oh, it was wonderful that this closing didn't happen two months ago!! They will do the entire Ring with stellar cast soon again.. and again. But Williams to conduct this wonderful orchestra will never going to happen again. We were lucky. 

On 3/11/2020 at 1:03 PM, Matthias said:

Edit: I saw just now that Bernhard Fleischer Moving Images, the main production company, has updated its Showreel with some awesome footage from the JW concert. It's marked as "work in progress". I'm not sure if it's the same clip that briefly popped up on social media, but check it out: (The JW part starts at 09:25) 

Edit2: There's also a small snippet at 07:12.

Thank you! What a teaser! This is going to be glorious.

I hope they include some shots from the sunday performance!

37 minutes ago, eitam said:

I hope they include some shots from the sunday performance!

But there were shots of both performances in this edit, right?

We will found out in glorious detail soon (?) enough...

Whoa, they got Sarah Willis to interview him!

EDIT: Ugh... That opening of "Flight to Neverland". Not sure if the oboes at the beginning are rushing or the horns come in late/at a slower tempo, but they're not exactly together. Overall sounds good, though!

3 hours ago, Tydirium said:

EDIT: Ugh... That opening of "Flight to Neverland". Not sure if the oboes at the beginning are rushing or the horns come in late/at a slower tempo, but they're not exactly together. Overall sounds good, though!

Its strange, because the woodwinds seem to be perfectly in tempo and Williams gives the horns the right signal, but all of the 8 horns join in too slow ?!

4 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Yeah, but that snippet is from a separate Beethoven documentary, so I‘m not sure whether that interview will be part of the concert DVD as well. Let‘s hope so!

2 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

During the Star Wars Main Title, I saw me and my wife in the audience, so this is from Sunday.

2 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

There are clearly shots from both days.

Good, thank you for the clarification :)