John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

On 3/13/2020 at 10:28 AM, Gurkensalat said:

I saw me and my wife in the audience, so this is from Sunday.

Well, as I said (in one of the first shots I spotted our daughter) there are shots from both performance in there. I'm pretty sure they will carefully select the best takes as far as video and audio (separately!) are concerned from both performances and the pickup session.

P.S.: Seems like this is post #2000 in this wonderful, epic thread with a happy ending. ;)

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

[...] physical release that might have to wait [...]

That is exactly what I meant ... the pressing plant.

> Meanwhile, a friend tells me that the concert is scheduled to be

> broadcast on ServusTV on 1 June, at 10:00 and again at 22:15.

Oh, thank you very much for that information - would not have

known. That's a nice date - six days before my birthday! \o/

So that's what they meant with "Frühjahr 2020". ;)

On 4/20/2020 at 1:19 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

the concert is scheduled to be broadcast on ServusTV on 1 June, at 10:00 and again at 22:15.

Can anyone view ServusTV or does your IP have to be from Austria?

41 minutes ago, carlborg said:

Can anyone view ServusTV or does your IP have to be from Austria?

Being from Germany, I can only see the german ServusTV ("ServusTV Deutschland"). Hope the programme is the same as on the austrian channel:crymore:

I just realized that Williams was frigging in Vienna this year and they still didn't seize the opportunity to do a Hollywood in Vienna special devoted to him.  Come on, guys!  Bribe his driver and kidnap him there if you have to!

3 hours ago, igger6 said:

I just realized that Williams was frigging in Vienna this year and they still didn't seize the opportunity to do a Hollywood in Vienna special devoted to him.  Come on, guys!  Bribe his driver and kidnap him there if you have to!

Hollywood in Vienna doesn't work with The Vienna Philharmonic; plus they do their event in the fall. I'm guessing it was the Vienna Philharmonic that was the main attraction to Williams. Incidentally, Hollywood in Vienna has been postponed to 2021 due to the virus. That's good news to me, because I really want to hear Menken live, as well as interview him (if opportunity allows), and now I have more time to prepare and save up money. He's one of my few favourite living film composers I haven't yet interviewed.

42 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Which scores of his would you recommend?

The classics: THE LITTLE MERMAID, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, ALADDIN, POCAHONTAS, THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME and HERCULES. Love the songs of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. And then there are lesser-known gems like LINCOLN (1992), but start with the classics.

On 4/20/2020 at 2:12 PM, Stempel said:

9:32 :love2:

Everytime I hear that music from Hook I just light up inside

I'm tempted to order it now as well, but 36 Euro (including shipping) is a lot of money to me with today's crappy exchange rate. It's dinners for a whole week! I just wonder if it will get more expensive when we draw nearer to the release date in August, or if there will be 'deals' etc. Difficult choice, but I know for a fact I MUST own this.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

with a noble gold foil

That's it! I'm buying it!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I'm tempted to order it now as well, but 36 Euro (including shipping) is a lot of money to me with today's crappy exchange rate. It's dinners for a whole week! I just wonder if it will get more expensive when we draw nearer to the release date in August, or if there will be 'deals' etc. Difficult choice, but I know for a fact I MUST own this.

It will probably be cheaper elsewhere, like Europadisc and PrestoMusic - JPC isn't the most competitive when it comes to pricing.

Finally. A whole Concert conducted by Williams on DVD !  This ought to break the ice for the US folks and get some previously recorded concerts of his out on dvd! 

32 minutes ago, Amer said:

Finally. A whole Concert conducted by Williams on DVD !  This ought to break the ice for the US folks and get some previously recorded concerts of his out on dvd! 

So... this doubles as a first live concert of his officially released? Wow.

I am especially happy that this also offers a multichannel audio only version on Blu-ray! August is still a long time away...

About the 6 additional tracks: Probably they crammed on one CD the main portion of the concert minus one (about 85 min or what the max capacity is today). And the Blu-ray offers the full concert with all encores. It is a pity, they could have done a 2CD set which is not much more expensive to produce. Perhaps with a later, super duper deluxe edition?

6 hours ago, Fabulin said:

btw. Great White Shark :lol:

They should get a professional or native speaker for translations, rather than just literally translating the German titles and newspaper excerpts.

aus dem Wiener Konzertvereins

2 hours ago, Fabulin said:

I also wonder what does this "6 additional tracks" mean. 5 encores plus a karaoke with Williams and Mutter?

In this review of the concert, Marian says:

He could not have been too exhausted, though: A little after the concert was finished and the audience had left the hall, Williams and the orchestra returned to do a few pickup shoots, obviously to patch up a few bits of the performances for the CD and DVD/Blu-ray releases that have since been announced by Deutsche Grammophon. 

Could those extra tracks be part of that session, perhaps some tracks from the ACROSS album that they wanted to perform live without the audience? I don't know.

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

In this review of the concert, Marian says:

Could those extra tracks be part of that session, perhaps some tracks from the ACROSS album that they wanted to perform live without the audience? I don't know.

As far as I understand, it was just passages that had flubs during the concert performance, so that they can edit them into the recording and present clean takes.

Perhaps the "bonus tracks" are just those parts of the concerts that are missing from the "regular" releases. Or maybe they present the "other" recordings (from the other day's concert) of some cues.

While I fully expect this to available via US and other country local retailers, I ordered to ensure I get at least one copy!

As for the CD and Blu-ray release, I wonder what the digital strategy will be. For example, will the video be released for streaming platform purchase (Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play)? And assuming the audio at least reaches Spotify etc, will it be the CD 80 mins or all of the audio including the Blu-ray tracks. DG has been good about releasing day and date, so I assume that will continue here.

It's amazing to think about the impact Anne-Sophie Mutter has had on JW. First a concert piece, then the ATS arrangements and then album and then concerts (sadly Pittsburgh is now delayed) to appearing on video! Really wonderful. I know that Vienna may have been planned to be recorded in 2018, but it may not have been, and her presence may have pushed this over with DG to do.

The Star Wars main title is definitely from Sunday - I can see myself there.  So both days footage. Cool!

Anyway, we were extremely, I mean EXTREMELY lucky that this concert happened, Corona was already an Issue in China back then and if it break out sooner, this would be cancelled again. Oof. 

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Perhaps the "bonus tracks" are just those parts of the concerts that are missing from the "regular" releases. Or maybe they present the "other" recordings (from the other day's concert) of some cues.

It'll be the Tuba and Bass performance of the Imperial March, duh.

While I loved the concert I attended I must admit it pains me a bit to see Williams – despite the tremendous energy for his age – conducting in the clip above. He already can’t keep his tempo at the opening bars of Hook and that’s why the horns are late. No wonder the concert master looked stressed like hell. I hope they can stitch together a polished product from the two concerts.

8 minutes ago, Remco said:

While I loved the concert I attended I must admit it pains me a bit to see Williams – despite the tremendous energy for his age – conducting in the clip above. He already can’t keep his tempo at the opening bars of Hook and that’s why the horns are late. No wonder the concert master looked stressed like hell. I hope they can stitch together a polished product from the two concerts.

The orchestra was the one erring by going too fast.  The conductor sets the tempo. 

I am kidding, I think.  

No, the orchestra plays exactly the tempo that Williams gives them in the opening bar yet he doesn’t keep up with his own tempo and then is late in giving his cue to the horns.

Regardless, it’s no secret that Williams tempo stability has become worse in recent years (when he’s not conducting to picture).

On 4/30/2020 at 2:15 PM, Amer said:

A whole Concert conducted by Williams on DVD !

Yes, I am giddy as well! \o/ But I see no DVD?

How will I get this from BD to DVD then? /o\

(ServusTV:Video/CD:Audio => DVD?)

(still missing a few -> BD:Audio?)

(Let's wait for the broadcast)

*sigh* Sooo close...

(should I order something I cannot even read out let alone play?)

(too late - I already ordered the whole BD/CD thing - hehe)

17 hours ago, Remco said:

that’s why the horns are late

I tell you something: I soooo did not notice this

because it was like being taken to Neverland for *real* -

complete with our daughter, the whole family - I'll never forget

this experience and nobody can take it away from us... ESPECIALLY

in light of the now utterly culture-less global online society we are living in. oO

Just have to figure out how to get a DVD from the Blu-ray or record from ServusTV. Hm...

20 minutes ago, Martinland said:

Yes, I am giddy as well! \o/ But I see no DVD? :-/

How am I supposed to rip/convert this then?

*sigh* Sooo close...

(should I order something I cannot even read out let alone play?)

I tell you something: I soooo did not notice this

because it was like being taken to Neverland for *real* -

complete with our daughter, the whole family - I'll never forget

this experience and nobody can take it away from us... ESPECIALLY

in light of the now utterly culture-less global online society we are living in. oO

Just have to figure out how to get a DVD from the Blu-ray or record from ServusTV. Hm...

Me neither! I was totally overwhelmed by his mere presence and the sound washing over me. But in the recording it’s pretty noticeable.

13 hours ago, Thor said:

Finally, some info:

0028948390458.jpg

The legendary American film composer John Williams conducts the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra for the first time - "Visit from the dear God" was the title of the standard, "standing upright jubilant choirs at their first appearance: as if God was received by earthly disciples John Williams in Vienna documents the historical performance - "a very special honour" in the life of the composer Symphonic Hollywood sounds on the stage of the Vienna Musikverein - the world-famous orchestra plays cult themes from Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park and other milestones in film history. Star guest Anne-Sophie Mutter with adaptations for violin arranged especially for her by Williams Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park - the soundtracks of the master of cinematic magic John Williams are among the most popular in the history of film and have received numerous prestigious awards, including five Oscars, five Emmys, four Golden Globes and twenty-five Grammys. Now the legendary American film composer has recorded the most famous, beautiful and touching cult themes for the first time with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. "Star moments of film music" was the headline of the Wiener Zeitung, "Hollywood's grandmaster thrilled audiences with excerpts from his life's work at the Vienna Philharmonic."

Williams' two concerts at the Vienna Musikverein on 18 and 19 January 2020 were the first performances the composer has ever conducted in continental Europe. Working with the Vienna Philharmonic was "a very special honour" in his life. In addition to Williams and the orchestra, another exceptional artist was on stage in the first half of the concert: Anne-Sophie Mutter. Thus the conductor and the violinist continued their artistic partnership after their joint album Across the Stars. The new album "John Williams in Vienna" combines cult themes from E. T., Great White Shark, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones and other milestones in film history as well as two previously unreleased adaptations, specially arranged by Williams for Mother, for violin of "Devil's Dance" from The Witches of Eastwick and "Raider's March" from Indiana Jones: Hunters of the Lost Treasure. Of course, the world-famous "Imperial March" from Star Wars should not be missing. "One of the best performances of this march that I have ever heard," Williams noted.

The limited Deluxe Edition "John Williams - Live in Vienna" is the only version that contains the unique concert experience on Blu-ray with additional 6 tracks. Including a breathtaking Dolby Atmos surround sound mix for the perfect concert experience at home (available as video and audio-only version) As a bonus: an interview by Anne-Sophie Mutter and John Williams from the Vienna Musikverein. The standard CD as well as Blu-ray disc is presented in a high-quality digipack in Blu-ray format with a noble gold foil look on the cover.

From https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/john-williams-anne-sophie-mutter-john-williams-in-vienna/hnum/9843487?lang=en

Release date: 14.8.2020

-----------

Looks great! As someone who had to sell my ticket to this due to other obligations, I'm really looking forward to seeing it at home. 

Sweet!

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Will this be on Amazon US or do I have to buy it from this JPC site?

That is what I would like to know. If so, I'll wait until it is available to pre-order via Amazon, as was the case with Across the Stars.