John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

1 hour ago, toothless said:

That huge smile on my face. I could not attend but I am so glad I got the Blu-ray :lovethis:

Wow, what a thrill to revisit the electric atmosphere of the Musikverein that day. 😀

Here's a nice promotional piece from DG:

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/artists/john-williams/news/john-williams-and-wiener-philharmoniker-create-movie-magic-258516

Edit: One piece of information from the promo:

"John Williams in Vienna is now set for international release by the Yellow Label on 14 August 2020 and will be available on all relevant physical and digital mediums, including Blu‑ray, CD, vinyl and eVideo, in both stereo and Dolby Atmos surround mixes."

I assume eVideo means some kind of digital video release?

30 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Love the moment with Williams at 1:37 where he can't hold back the smile any longer. He must have been thrilled with their playing.

The flautist (sitting in front of Williams) is responsible for that :lol: The way he played was really cute.

4 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

The flautist (sitting in front of Williams) is responsible for that :lol: The way he played was really cute.

Do tell? Are we talking about the flutist at 1:25?

2 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

all relevant physical and digital mediums

Ouch! The Society for Protection of DVDs will be most outraged by that comment!

Hopefully the VHS copy is announced soon.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

What a performance! I largely remember this orchestra from recordings by Karajan butchering baroque music, but this is so, so good. THE BRASS!

One has to wonder why you have a thing for Karajan's worst recordings... ;)

9 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

What a performance! I largely remember this orchestra from recordings by Karajan butchering baroque music, but this is so, so good. THE BRASS!

I don‘t think he recorded a whole bunch of baroque music with the Vienna Phil, other than Bach‘s B minor mass. So in good Austrian style, I‘m gonna accuse the Berlin Phil instead 😝

18 minutes ago, Matthias said:

I don‘t think he recorded a whole bunch of baroque music with the Vienna Phil, other than Bach‘s B minor mass. So in good Austrian style, I‘m gonna accuse the Berlin Phil instead 😝

Yeah, I think you might be correct.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Love the moment with Williams at 1:37 where he can't hold back the smile any longer. He must have been thrilled with their playing.

I like to interpret it as a "Goddam that's some great music I wrote here" smile, or maybe a "Holy shit I'm playing the Imperial March at the Musikverein" smile. But yeah, love it either way :D

3 hours ago, Matthias said:

Wow, what a thrill to revisit the electric atmosphere of the Musikverein that day. 😀

Here's a nice promotional piece from DG:

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/artists/john-williams/news/john-williams-and-wiener-philharmoniker-create-movie-magic-258516

Edit: One piece of information from the promo:

"John Williams in Vienna is now set for international release by the Yellow Label on 14 August 2020 and will be available on all relevant physical and digital mediums, including Blu‑ray, CD, vinyl and eVideo, in both stereo and Dolby Atmos surround mixes."

I assume eVideo means some kind of digital video release?

Yep it is Sunday, I am there in the 1st row, yay, I am immortal now :))

Finally had a chance to check out the Imperial March video.  Sounded amazing, bummer about the brief audience applause after it started though.

Williams looked great, and the smirk he gives around 1:37 is awesome, as is the "wow!" at the end

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Finally had a chance to check out the Imperial March video.  Sounded amazing, bummer about the brief audience applause after it started though.

Williams looked great, and the smirk he gives around 1:37 is awesome, as is the "wow!" at the end

Seems they found a way to remove the audience noise from the CD version, which is fantastic. Maybe used the rehearsals for those sections? 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

This will be my first film score purchase with the word "Wiener" on the cover

To be fair, this will be everyone's first film score purchase with the word "Wiener" on the cover, excluding those who aquired the 2010 Summer Night's Concert release...

They only did a few sparse film scores during the Reich period, and nothing of that work was ever released.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

It's on Amazon US now, but you can't order it yet

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B087SCCYF1

The 2LP Vinyl is available to pre-order for $39.98, release date is showing as August 28th

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087SD7MP9

I wonder if the vinyl will have applause-free versions of the cuts that didn't make the CD edition, but are on the Blu Ray

Probably not.

And that’s fine.

I guess people here will rip the front audio channel, or whatever, so I am sure whoever is interested can get their fix.

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

the original versions on the concert Blu-ray

...and I furthermore do hope they use the same cut for ServusTV and the BD; would quite simplify my project of creating a DVD with good-enough video and superb sound. :)