John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

Not surprising since Across the Stars standard edition is also digipack, probably means the CD/BR combo release will be in the tall box as well.

10 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Not surprising since Across the Stars standard edition is also digipack, probably means the CD/BR combo release will be in the tall box as well.

From Deutsche Grammophon shop:

Both the standard CD and the Blu-ray disc come in a high-quality digipak in Blu-ray format with a classy “gold foil” look on the cover.

https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p51-i0028948390458/john-williams-wiener-philharmoniker-anne-sophie-mutter/john-williams-live-in-vienna-ltd-deluxe-edition-cd-bluray-/index.html

46 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Not surprising since Across the Stars standard edition is also digipack

The standard edition of ATS is in the jewel case, at least in Europe.

23 hours ago, E-Wan said:

From Deutsche Grammophon shop:

Both the standard CD and the Blu-ray disc come in a high-quality digipak in Blu-ray format with a classy “gold foil” look on the cover.

https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p51-i0028948390458/john-williams-wiener-philharmoniker-anne-sophie-mutter/john-williams-live-in-vienna-ltd-deluxe-edition-cd-bluray-/index.html

Is this DG’s first use of a gold foil look? I don’t recall ever seeing one before. (I think it’d be exquisitely appropriate that this is the release that gets the first gold foil, if indeed that’s that case)

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

DG has used gold foil on the cover art of standard CD releases since the 80s.

That sounds like it was their standard way to go for standard releases, which it's not.

However, they have used it for adding weight to special releases, e.g. the Karajan Gold series:

51uZGwhhw7L.jpg 71BedpqQWhL._SL1400_.jpg 

71JEmXI3lzL._SL1400_.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the effect. Partly because it only looks good from certain angles and does not photograph well. But perhaps also a bit because in general, Karajan's early 80s digital recordings are inferiour to his 60s and 70s versions of the same works, both in sonics and in interpretation. Two exceptions are shown above - the Alpensinfonie (which he sadly skipped when he made his big batch of standout Strauss recordings in the 70s), and The Planets, which in my opinion towers above his earlier 60s recordings (which I can barely listen to because of the Wiener Philharmoniker's dirty playing).

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That sounds like it was their standard way to go for standard releases, which it's not.

However, they have used it for adding weight to special releases, e.g. the Karajan Gold series:

I forgot these were called Gold series, but apart from that there's not much special about them.

On 6/17/2020 at 10:04 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

They forgot to show the damaged corners that will result from shipping.

You really have a problem with damaged items

14 minutes ago, Chewy said:

You really have a problem with damaged items

I just think when you buy something that's advertised as new, the seller should take care to protect it properly during shipping so it appears new when received. It's about getting what you paid for.

15 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The Planets,

Aah, this November it will be a hundred years since the first (public) performance by the London Symphony. I even asked them (before all hell/hysteria broke loose) if they have scheduled an anniversary performance, alas they had not. *sigh*

I own the Williams interpretation with the Boston, which I played very often - then I learned about the old (1970) interpretation by Steinberg (a recommendation in a newsgroup back then) and I liked it a lot; coming back to both of them on a regular basis. ;)

On 6/19/2020 at 3:17 PM, Martinland said:

Aah, this November it will be a hundred years since the first (public) performance by the London Symphony. I even asked them (before all hell/hysteria broke loose) if they have scheduled an anniversary performance, alas they had not. *sigh*

I own the Williams interpretation with the Boston, which I played very often - then I learned about the old (1970) interpretation by Steinberg (a recommendation in a newsgroup back then) and I liked it a lot; coming back to both of them on a regular basis. ;)

I also love the BSO/Ozawa recording of The Planets on Philips

On 6/24/2020 at 4:23 PM, BB-8 said:

For those of us who cannot wait until August:

https://www.dg-premium.com/dg_stage_video/john-williams-in-vienna/

Tickets are cheaper than back in January...

Take care!

and the system doesnt allow registration after completing online application,, 

On 6/17/2020 at 10:46 PM, E-Wan said:

with a classy “gold foil” look on the cover

The word "classy" in marketing copy doesn't inspire much confidence.

I can see there's a troll in the comments saying he steals from classical composers

On 6/17/2020 at 4:51 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Wow, gold foil!

wait, is it double embossed?

Was listening again to the video of the concert and those are some top notch performances with stellar sound. Even JP played faster sounds amazing here. I did hear a slight flub in the SW main titles

1 hour ago, jocores said:

The blu ray edition is no way to be found in Deutsche Grammophon online store. Isn't it strange?

Because the description says it's ... sold out. Weird. Maybe limited really means limited in this case. Hope not.

You can still order it from Amazon Germany.  I ordered my copy two months ago.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B087SCCYF1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

I recommend to rather purchase from Presto Music, since the shipping's cheaper and they generally have sturdier packaging:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8785414--john-williams-in-vienna-cd-blu-ray-video-edition

Could someone tell me how the DG stream works?

Can it be paused and played later, or do I have to make sure I have enough time to watch the whole thing through before starting it?

6 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Could someone tell me how the DG stream works?

Can it be paused and played later, or do I have to make sure I have enough time to watch the whole thing through before starting it?

You can use it simply like a youtube video. The stream is 02:08:17 length. and it will expire tomorrow at 8:00 p.m.

Nope.

On 7/6/2020 at 1:34 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I recommend to rather purchase from Presto Music, since the shipping's cheaper and they generally have sturdier packaging:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8785414--john-williams-in-vienna-cd-blu-ray-video-edition

Anyone know what the barcode number is for the Blu-ray? My local site lists three different SKUs but they are all wildly different in pricing but shown as "CD" format :(

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

So has anyone watched the video? 

It didn't work here in Finland(my friend said the same) and we both bought it accidentally two times😎

I'm curious if the stream worked anywhere else? 

I second the question, has anybody successfully watched the stream? My US credit card doesn’t work lol. 

also, I’m surprised that the video edition of the program doesn’t look like it will be available on digital services (iTunes). Does anybody think there is any chance it will turn up? 

9 hours ago, JacksonElmore said:

I second the question, has anybody successfully watched the stream? My US credit card doesn’t work lol.

I have, from France, several times. It works very well and it is such a pleasure to hear again all the pieces, especially those missing in the servus TV broadcast!!

I just noticed some sound microcuts. I first thought it was a network issue, but it comes always at the same places. I find this strange, but I suppose DG releases will be perfect!! 

WOW!!! just watched the stream. holy shit. 

Great performance through and through. Best live performance of Flight To Neverland I've ever heard.  Close Encounters was amazing, such precision. Dartmoor 1912 was brilliant as well...Very bizarre arrangement of hedwigs theme but boy, Anne-Sophie Mutter is INSANE on that violin. The orchestra is alive during this entire show