John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

9 hours ago, JacksonElmore said:

Very bizarre arrangement of hedwigs theme but boy, Anne-Sophie Mutter is INSANE on that violin. Anxious to see what you guys think of the arrangement. The orchestra is alive during this entire show

It's the same arrangement as on the Across the Stars album, right?

1 hour ago, JacksonElmore said:

Oh....yes. I must admit I never got around to checking out that album 

Here’s flight to neverland. Ignore the text From my aunt lol...

My god... the level of energy, of skills, of precision and of passion of his craft you can see in this video. 🤩

25 minutes ago, toothless said:

My god... the level of energy, of skills, of precision and of passion of his craft you can see in this video. 🤩

As I said, the best performance of the piece I’ve ever seen! 

Fabulous! And apparently the performance of the second day (the promo had footage of the first day and started with a slight error).

13 hours ago, JacksonElmore said:

The orchestra is alive during this entire show

A bit of trivia: The Wiener Philharmoniker are well known for playing all their concerts with living musicians only. :-p 

Excellent performance of Hook.  For better or for worse, the first concert version I ever heard was the Kunzel one, and listening to the less exciting Flight always leaves me wanting more.

1 hour ago, Amer said:

Saw this posted on fb. 

FB_IMG_1594704203067.jpg

Why scene selections for the blu ray don't contain the entire tracklist? Weird.

Titelverzeichnis

Disk: 1 (CD)

1. THE FLIGHT TO NEVERLAND (aus "Hook") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  2. EXCERPTS (aus "Unheimliche Begegnung der Dritten Art") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  3. DEVIL'S DANCE (aus "Die Hexen von Eastwick") - (mit Anne-Sophie Mutter) - Mutter, Anne-Sophie
  4. ADVENTURES ON EARTH (aus "E.T. - Der Ausserirdische") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  5. THEME (aus "Jurassic Park") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  6. DARTMOOR, 1912 (aus "Gefährten") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  7. OUT TO SEA & THE SHARK CAGE FUGUE (aus "Der Weisse Hai") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  8. MARION'S THEME (aus "Indiana Jones: Jäger des Verlorenen Schatzes") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  9. MAIN TITLE (aus "Star Wars: Eine Neue Hoffnung") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  10. THE REBELLION IS REBORN (aus "Star Wars: Die Letzten Jedi") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  11. LUKE & LEIA (aus "Star Wars: Die Rückkehr der Jedi-Ritter") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  12. THE IMPERIAL MARCH (aus "Star Wars: Das Imperium schlägt zurück") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  13. RAIDER'S MARCH (aus "Indiana Jones: Jäger des Verlorenen Schatzes") - (mit Anne-Sophie Mutter) - Mutter, Anne-Sophie

Disk: 2 (Bluray)

1. THE FLIGHT TO NEVERLAND (aus "Hook") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  2. EXCERPTS (aus "Unheimliche Begegnung der Dritten Art") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  3. HEDWIG'S THEME (aus Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen") - (mit Anne-Sophie Mutter) - Mutter, Anne-Sophie
  4. THEME (aus Sabrina") - (mit Anne-Sophie Mutter) - Mutter, Anne-Sophie
  5. DONNYBROOK FAIR (aus "In einem fernen Land ") - (mit Anne-Sophie Mutter) - Mutter, Anne-Sophie
  6. DEVIL'S DANCE (aus "Die Hexen von Eastwick") - (mit Anne-Sophie Mutter) - Mutter, Anne-Sophie
  7. ADVENTURES ON EARTH (aus "E.T. - Der Ausserirdische") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  8. THEME (aus "Jurassic Park") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  9. DARTMOOR, 1912 (aus "Gefährten") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  10. OUT TO SEA & THE SHARK CAGE FUGUE (aus "Der Weisse Hai") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  11. MARION'S THEME (aus "Indiana Jones: Jäger des Verlorenen Schatzes") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  12. THE REBELLION IS REBORN (aus "Star Wars: Die Letzten Jedi") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  13. LUKE & LEIA (aus "Star Wars: Die Rückkehr der Jedi-Ritter" - Wiener Philharmoniker
  14. MAIN TITLE (aus "Star Wars: Eine Neue Hoffnung") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  15. THEME (aus "Zapfenstreich") - (mit Anne-Sophie Mutter) - Mutter, Anne-Sophie
  16. THE DUEL (aus "Die Abenteuer von Tim und Struppi: Das Geheimnis der Einhorn") - (mit Anne-Sophie Mutter) - Mutter, Anne-Sophie
  17. REMEMBRANCES (aus "Schindlers Liste") - (mit Anne-Sophie Mutter) - Mutter, Anne-Sophie
  18. RAIDER'S MARCH (aus "Indiana Jones: Jäger des Verlorenen Schatzes") - (mit Anne-Sophie Mutter) - Mutter, Anne-Sophie
  19. THE IMPERIAL MARCH (aus "Star Wars: Das Imperium schlägt zurück") - Wiener Philharmoniker
  20. John Williams und Anne-Sophie Mutter im Gespräch - Wiener Philharmoniker

https://www.amazon.de/John-Williams-Vienna-Anne-Sophie-Mutter/dp/B087SCCYF1/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=TvI0xG4PpdWq5Wo8LuVKqA&hsa_cr_id=3658560990602&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1

5 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

Yes, we've known this tracklist for two months and it reflects the full concert. But the photo above shows something different.

No it doesnt. It says the Tracklist is just for the CD. "Tracklist for Compact Disc". "Selections" makes it clear that the Bluray contains additional tracks not mentioned in the CD tracklist.

On 7/12/2020 at 11:24 PM, King Mark said:

The official DG 'premium" stream only has 128 kbps audio. I find it hard to believe they upload such shitty quality in this day and age

Official stream was using AAC LC (ADTS) codec with variable bit rate. Overall bitrate for full stream was over 200 kb/s. 

Could be that video was available in different formats based on the web browser or connection bandwidth. 

41 minutes ago, Timo Martikainen said:

Official stream was using AAC LC (ADTS) codec with variable bit rate. Overall bitrate for full stream was over 200 kb/s. 

Could be that video was available in different formats based on the web browser or connection bandwidth. 

thanks

14 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

I'm watching the concert now and Johnny's face when the brass falls behind during Star Wars is PRICELESS! 

Annotation 2020-07-13 233154.png

Annotation 2020-07-13 233336.png

Is this the main title or the imperial march?

This performance of Flight to Neverland is beyond what I expected. Everything I have heard from this album is. I can't tell you how many times I have listened to the Jurassic Park track. Imo it's the best performed version of that piece. I love the Spielberg/Williams compilation albums, but this is clearly going to be the best compilation of his yet. I knew it was going to be special, the Weiner almost always is, but they really turned it out for him. Those flute shrieks, the dirty brass, it's all coming together.

On 7/15/2020 at 1:01 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

On a more serious note, I find your question to be a very good one, especially considering its implications: now JW will have to comment on his future plans regarding film scoring, and he may say something about his plans regarding new concert works as well.

He could write and record a score first, and then have Spielberg make a movie to it. How about that?

Otherwise I see no way the VPO does a film score. The last time they did was in 1944(?), when they were under the Nazi boot.

Now, if Williams were to offer such a proposal to the Berliner Phil, who had long tried to get him to conduct them, it could possibly work out...

46 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm happy to take it off your hands :P

But seriously, if you only get one question in your lifetime to ask the Maestro, please ask him why Shawm was removed from the Prisoner of Azkaban expansion. Thanks!

I already asked a question which was relevant for this new release and within the confines of being a very valid question in the first place. But ofcourse I could ask 100 different more. 

Anyone else think that the orchestra seemed a bit divided on Adventures on Earth?  The strings were going for an overt Hollywood adventure sound, while the brass was going full Wagner heroic.  

Anyway, the stream was more than worth the money.  Several absolutely sublime performances.  

Interestingly, the limited Deluxe Bluray package is now back in stock at Deutsche Grammophon...

https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p51-i0028948390458/john-williams-wiener-philharmoniker-anne-sophie-mutter/john-williams-live-in-vienna-ltd-deluxe-edition-cd-bluray-/index.html

55 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Anyone else think that the orchestra seemed a bit divided on Adventures on Earth?  The strings were going for an overt Hollywood adventure sound, while the brass was going full Wagner heroic.  

Anyway, the stream was more than worth the money.  Several absolutely sublime performances.  

I noticed that during the first performance on Saturday - they drifted appart at the climax (flying theme tutti). But it was amazing how quickly the autopilot got them all back on track.

11 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

I'm finding some of the performances to be rather uneven, mostly timing issues, as it seems like the orchestra is having difficulty with Williams conducting style and keeping the correct tempo. There is no doubt they are an outstanding orchestra and the sound of the recording splended but I'm having a hard time agree with many of these "this is the best performance of *insert peice here*" that I'm read in this thread.

Finally a sincere review!

28 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

I'm finding some of the performances to be rather uneven, mostly timing issues, as it seems like the orchestra is having difficulty with Williams conducting style and keeping the correct tempo. There is no doubt they are an outstanding orchestra and the sound of the recording splended but I'm having a hard time agree with many of these "this is the best performance of *insert piece here*" that I'm reading in this thread.

Also, I'm not a fan of Mutter AT ALL, therefore her performances are the most off putting aspect of this concert. 

-Erik-

The most frustrating thing for me is that in the Sunday performance the trumpet screwed up the fanfare in the Star Wars Main Title, spoiling the rest beyond repair. This did not happen on Saturday. The Saturday performance is still out there, recorded, but alas it has not been published, and I have to do with a bootleg captured before Youtube took it down. It really was close to perfect by all measures.

31 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

I'm finding some of the performances to be rather uneven, mostly timing issues, as it seems like the orchestra is having difficulty with Williams conducting style and keeping the correct tempo. There is no doubt they are an outstanding orchestra and the sound of the recording splended but I'm having a hard time agree with many of these "this is the best performance of *insert piece here*" that I'm reading in this thread.

Also, I'm not a fan of Mutter AT ALL, therefore her performances are the most off putting aspect of this concert. 

-Erik-

Yeah, there are timing problems here and there.  But performances like JP and the Imperial March are indeed among of the best to my ears.

I do agree that the Mutter performances are kind of the least interesting parts.

Since I have only heard Imperial March and JP (and loosely Flight to Neverland, but I will save judegement on that for the CD) I would say it is the best recorded version of Jurassic Park, but I would still take the original album of Imperial.

2 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

-Erik-

This is very true and as I’ve said before this has something to do with Williams’ detoriating conducting skills. The main attraction these performances have is a phenomenal sound, but it’s again a bit painful to hear how Williams can’t seem to keep the tempo stable at the end of ‘Neverland’.

I find it refreshing that JW likes to experiment with tempo changes at his mature age. And it's not like the second half of Flight to Neverland is a masterpiece, so I welcome any changes that can make it more interesting.

The transition to the End Credits segment has never totally congealed for me. I think it is one of his more awkward concert suites. This performance of it is interesting. I can't wait for the CD.

I think we are overestimating how much this orchestra needs their guest conductor. The Weiner Philharmoniker is top-class, they could perform without one, I am certain.

3 hours ago, Fabulin said:

The most frustrating thing for me is that in the Sunday performance the trumpet screwed up the fanfare in the Star Wars Main Title, spoiling the rest beyond repair. 

What do ya mean with "screwed up"?

The brass was behind for one measure, otherwise there were no mess-ups at all.

4 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

-Erik-

Idiot

Except I didn't like AMS either

Just now, JacksonElmore said:

^ if you’ve ever heard live orchestra performances, they are not supposed to sound like even tempo’d perfectly timed Mathematical equations Like the record labels insist on during an official OST. Live performances allow room for tempo changes, and allow Williams to feel out the room and each change of tempo is based on what he thinks fits best in the program. If ur going from listening on Spotify to watching a live performance and expecting “perfection” in that way, you’re not at all understanding symphonic music

Thank you!!