John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

6 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

CD and CD&Bluray have arrived! Unboxing starting shortly.

I'm in Germany: Lower Saxony south of Hannover.

Great that you got them already! Ordered the bluray with Amazon and the limited edition vinyl via DG Store, but do not have a shipping confirmation yet. I'm also in Germany.

I found the cover of the album in the best resolution (3000x3000 px) again on ASMs website: https://www.anne-sophie-mutter.de/assets/press-photos/2020_Williams_in_Vienna_Cover.jpg

16 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

I am very jealous. All I can think about is that E.T. performance. I hope a bunch of people got it and it will start appearing on Youtube so I can at least hear it in lossy.

23 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Yes there is, but didn't show up on the photos.

The yellow labels in your photo are actually gold?

I ordered the Blu-ray at Amazon in early May, and it's scheduled to arrive next week, Wednesday or Thursday. What's up with that?

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The yellow labels in your photo are actually gold?

I ordered the Blu-ray at Amazon in early May, and it's scheduled to arrive next week, Wednesday or Thursday. What's up with that?

Subdued gold, like the Musikvereinssaal. Covers are not as glossy as Across the Stradivari.

But I have to say, the sound is solid gold!

ET, Close Encounters, JP...

I feel so blessed to still be looking forward to Williams albums over twenty years after I started collecting them. I never thought he would have such a rich end to his career. When we lost him for three years after Sith and then practically another three after Crystal, I was worried that was it. Oh me, of little faith!

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Ending your career with Star Wars 9 and a concert in Vienna would be one hell of a way to go too, though.

Vienna, Schmienna! That April concert in Cleveland would have been the perfect locale for a career-ender...

;)

59 minutes ago, thx99 said:

Vienna, Schmienna! That April concert in Cleveland would have been the perfect locale for a career-ender...

;)

Touch in cheek notwithstanding, I saw him conduct a summer concert in Cleveland in the late 90s.  It was superb.  The orchestra was fantastic, the location fantastic, the selection of music was fantastic (full JFK suite, Jane Eyre Suite, others). 

10 hours ago, BB-8 said:

20200812_183342.jpg

20200812_183749.jpg

20200812_184254.jpg

Can you please take a pic from the barcode on both??

Many thanks!

I too got my shipping notice from JPC coming from Germany to the US. Shipping via DHL. It shows as having cleared processing in Germany for export, so hoping to have everything (LP, CD, Blu-Ray Combo) on Friday or Saturday. We'll see....

I did order the UHQCD version (import from Japan as best I can tell). It was expensive on Amazon, but that was the best price I saw. I was both curious about it and also wanting to have the edition in my collection. No idea when that is going to make it.

Very excited for this release!

(And I am guessing we will get HD download versions at all the usual outlets starting Friday based on local time zone. +Spotify and other streaming services too.)

54 minutes ago, lairdo said:

I did order the UHQCD version (import from Japan as best I can tell).

Can you actually hear any difference in the quality of the sound, compared to the usual CD format? I've heard about the UHQCD technology before, but I've never bought any of these, unsure if they were worth the price or not.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I will never blame him at all if he stops scoring features and just focuses on concert work, but I will be thrilled to no end if we find out he's scoring another feature!

I would be cool if he made a new score to a classic silent film. He's already flirted with that territory once!

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Nerds!

Nice tablecloth, btw. :)

My mother's work... staying over at my parents until Saturday. Where, unfortunately, I can only read the notes and not hear the discs.

14 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

My mother's work... staying over at my parents until Saturday. Where, unfortunately, I can only read the notes and not hear the discs.

"A Duel with Bow and Baton"

I like that picture. I think it's from the first concert. But the single CD / double vinyl includes only one piece with Mutter (Indiana Jones march doesn't really qualify), so that photo which relates to Tintin makes no real sense on the non-Deluxe versions.

(comment from a picky nerd)

10 hours ago, King Mark said:

Is the c.d. and bluray actually lossless or 128kbps like everything we've heard so far

Due to budget constraints the whole concert was recorded in 128 kbps mp3s.

That was the compromise Deutsche Grammophon had to make, due to the fact that they chose gold embossing on the release.

Can’t have it all, I guess! 🙃

Nah man, just kidding! It’ll be lossless - even the vinyl! Maybe even more so than the digital formats! 😉

21 minutes ago, Biodome said:

The human ear isn't lossless!

Hey man, you don't have to tell me twice!

I am strictly an advocator for 16bit/44kHz CD audio quality over any format, be it higher or lower bitrate. No need for anything else!

I do find my blu-ray audios remind me of vinyl a lot, but I normally go in for CD quality as a fine baseline. I don't listen to anything below that for fun, only exploration. It is just a fact though that vinyl is the richest sound you can get out of your music. Although I can understand how surface noise would be a step back for many people. I like to think that life has surface noise so it has never really bothered me. I grew up with Thriller, etc. on vinyl. Some of the Japanese SACD releases I have are also pretty great for a rich stereo picture. Not so clinical and clean and separated as it can tend to be.

(I adore mono so keep that in mind.)

4 minutes ago, blondheim said:

(I adore mono so keep that in mind.)

You should also try silence.

4 minutes ago, blondheim said:

It is just a fact though that vinyl is the richest sound you can get out of your music.

That's a strong statement when we've got blu-ray audio and all.

Personally, I can't hear the difference between a well mastered CD and a higher bitrate presentation.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

Call it what you want, but it ain't "lossy".

It's so lossy that exterior and interior grooves can't exactly reproduce the same frequencies.

You may call the sound "rich" indeed, if you find it "rich" that the sound of each groove bleed on the adjacent ones. Oh yes, it may produce a warmth sound, but at the end, it's distortion. :P

I shouldn't have said it is a fact since I can't properly explain why. Something about the space around the sound being captured on vinyl in a way that CDs cut it off, and that sound being integral to the full experience. I can hear an obvious difference. I have the same recordings in vinyl rip and CD-quality lossless and on blind spot tests, I have always been able to determine which is which. Not sections with obvious popping. I think the fact that vinyl is etched-in gives it a visceral texture it wouldn't have otherwise. I always buy CD first because vinyl can be made wrong and can be an expensive purchase to take that chance on. When I have the CD, I am more inclined to upgrade, if need be.

I don't think anyone can really hear the difference between 16 and 24 bit audio.

And let me defend mono here: a lot of amazing classical recordings came out in mono, once upon a time. There was a label (I have raved about it before) that hung microphones over the audience on laundry lines and moved them during the recording sessions to isolate and round out different pockets of sound. It is really incredible, and due to the denseness of the mono trying to sound stereo, it has a quality basically nothing else has.