John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

57 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yes. And Lockhart understood how a march is supposed to be played.

As opposed to Williams conducting and rehearsing it this way with these players? Don't you think if he felt it was wrong, he would've changed something?

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

That 1999 Skywalker Symphony album also sounded terribly languid and devoid of spirit.

That take on Jabba's theme is unbearable.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I don't think age has anything to do with it, really.

Perhaps jetlag then.

John Williams isn’t slowing down the tempo for his health.. he still conducts fast tempi on OSTs etc. Just my thoughts are that the Vienna Philharmonic are so unfamiliar with the pieces that slow and together (yes, together) was a better option than fast and the pieces completely fall apart and then with no way to get the orchestra back together. The Vienna Philharmonic’s lack of familiarity with the pieces was the main factor that constituted to the slower tempo choices, not Williams being “old”. In my opinion. Fire away all those miserable enough to be disappointed with this once in a lifetime event :)

Dont know if the the Blu ray Audio* only option is in stereo or 5.1 but I would welcome an SACD Multi-Channel presentation of this recording. if they did MQA version of it I see no reason why they shouldnt do this one too since SACD format has more fans in Europe than in USA.

I am personally disappointed with the picture quality on Blu-Ray. Don’t like the filmic look.

You lose the feeling that you are watching a live concert.

Sound is fantastic though.

Absolute chills when the camera changes to the wideshot of the hall and you feel the power of the orchestra! One of my favourite moments in that piece.

@4:52 

37 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I think it's 5.1.

the video concert is 5.1 and alongside the multi channel and the additional Dolby Atmos. But if the extra Audio channel only extra is 5.1 then that should be enough .

41 minutes ago, QE2 said:

I am personally disappointed with the picture quality on Blu-Ray. Don’t like the filmic look.

You lose the feeling that you are watching a live concert.

Sound is fantastic though.

Would you prefer the picture to be 4: 3? Then it certainly wouldn't have the "filmic look"

2 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I would be really surprised if anyone didn't like this performance of Jurassic Park. It is practically definitive. Why can't it be played like this all the time?

because it's too fast

18 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

Would you prefer the picture to be 4: 3? Then it certainly wouldn't have the "filmic look"

Irrespective of the image quality, I am missing some atmospheric shots of Vienna and the Musikvereinssaal like they do for the Neujahrskonzerte.

They should have invited Spielberg to direct...

8 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Irrespective of the image quality, I am missing some atmospheric shots of Vienna and the Musikvereinssaal like they do for the Neujahrskonzerte.

9 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

I totally agree. The way the New Year’s Day concert is shot would have given the concert much more atmosphere visually.

Why isn't there a thirty minute bonus segment showing every guest walking through the foyer and taking their seats?! Utterly ridiculous!

What a colossal waste of everyone's time this release has proven to be! Amateurs! 

1 hour ago, Pawel P. said:

I am so disappointed that Williams has a slightly loose jacket. It bothers me. And that the girl on the right in the eighth row has such a sad face throughout the concert. The whole experience is ruined for me now.

So at the end of the day, we cannot "hear the orchestra now without the distraction of the film".

I am coming to the conclusion that the single CD version is the actual deluxe version (excluding Devil's Dance, which makes me jump out of my seat).

3 minutes ago, toothless said:

Just received the limited edition vinyl  822/1000 this thing is outstanding 

Anyone here who has a number lower than 100?

3 minutes ago, toothless said:

Just received the limited edition vinyl  822/1000 this thing is outstanding 

307/1000 also arrived today.

The method used to print the LP seems much better than the one used for the Star Wars golden LPs from a few years ago. Those sounded terrible.

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

So at the end of the day, we cannot "hear the orchestra now without the distraction of the film".

I am coming to the conclusion that the single CD version is the actual deluxe version (excluding Devil's Dance, which makes me jump out of my seat).

I thought my sarcasm was obvious but I'm not sure anymore.

33 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah, I'll be listening to the entire thing soon, curious how all the ASM pieces will sound.

You won't like her timing :P