John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It was too expensive to ship the VPO to Albania.

I'm sure Albania has better orchestras than the VPO. VPO sound amateur-ish :znaika:

32 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I rarely stop in the JW forum anymore because it's almost always HP and SW discussion. I can't even start a thread about the E.T. ride music without it being instantly buried by 850 HP and SW threads.

😆

53 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Now you're being a bit harsh.

Albania has a musical heritage second to none.

I can't think of one great composer who came from Vienna

6 hours ago, QE2 said:

I am personally disappointed with the picture quality on Blu-Ray. Don’t like the filmic look.

You lose the feeling that you are watching a live concert.

Filmic look? I'm slightly disappointed by it being a TV master. The interlacing is noticeable and causes rather obvious aliasing.

53 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Filmic look? I'm slightly disappointed by it being a TV master. The interlacing is noticeable and causes rather obvious aliasing.

I might be old fashioned but I prefer the pure video look rather than the fake 35mm look. I know nowadays in television it is used a lot in reality shows and soaps. Sorry that I cannot be more technical. Somebody might be able to help me out with the actual process that they use. 
Overall I really enjoyed the concert. The blu-ray is a great keepsake of a wonderful evening.

36 minutes ago, QE2 said:

I might be old fashioned but I prefer the pure video look rather than the fake 35mm look. I know nowadays in television it is used a lot in reality shows and soaps. Sorry that I cannot be more technical. Somebody might be able to help me out with the actual process that they use. 

It's shot on video which looks ' live' , like a sporting event.

Then they process the video to make it look like shot on film.

It would surprise me that this concert wasn't shot in HD, which can look filmic

11 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

It's shot on video which looks ' live' , like a sporting event.

Then they process the video to make it look like shot on film.

It would surprise me that this concert wasn't shot in HD, which can look filmic

It was shot in 4K/60 fps as it's common nowadays for many live events. The Neuejahrekonzert is done the same way, I think.

Just now, TownerFan said:

It was shot in 4K/60 fps as it's common nowadays for many live events. The Neuejahrekonzert is done the same way, I think.

That should give it a 'live' look, though not quite ' video' look.

26 minutes ago, John Chambers said:

There's so much negativity in this thread that it's bumming me out and I think I'll avoid it until I've seen the concert for myself. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be critical but surely we can enjoy this for what it is rather than nitpicking about what it isn't? It's the first time we've had a complete concert conducted by John Williams on Blu-Ray and it's with one of the best orchestras in the world! My copy is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow and I can't wait to sit down and enjoy it.

I'm sure you will enjoy it. Like 99% of the people who buy it will :) It's an amazing release.

31 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Timestamp, please! :)

He surely means the percussionist who came in a beat too early.

Welp, so far I'm a little torn.

I'd say people are right about the mistakes made during the concert, and while many of them are IMO not crucial, it's really a shame that they weren't able to fix the Star Wars Main theme, you cannot not hear that.

However it hasn't hampered my enjoyment of the concert too much. In addition, some of the pieces seem very well performed to me ("The imperial march" has hardly sounded better, same goes for "Luke & Leia").

It's not the dumpster fire some on here make it out to be, and some beloved concert recordings here share similar flaws if we're being honest. But neither is it great or the 'definitive edition' that many have hoped for.

If i had to guess what went wrong: JW having seen better days conducting, the VPO not being too invested in his music, perhaps a lack of rehearsals and sub-par editing. How the star wars mistake made it onto the CD is beyond me.

12 minutes ago, tUfnTIEfighter said:

If i had to guess what went wrong: JW having seen better days conducting, the VPO not being too invested in his music, perhaps a lack of rehearsals and sub-par editing. How the star wars mistake made it onto the CD is beyond me.

I'm sure it's just a matter of rehearsal time.  JW's music is anything but easy, even for world class orchestras.  And speaking of the Jaws selection specifically, it is very fugue-like, so the contrapuntal writing can get a little tricky.  Of all the pieces on that concert, that one is probably the least well-known, so it makes sense that the orchestra would have the most trouble with it.  But again, mistakes happen, even with familiar works.  I'll bet a week's salary the VPO still fucks up Beethoven's Fifth from time to time...

30 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

I'm sure it's just a matter of rehearsal time.  JW's music is anything but easy, even for world class orchestras.  And speaking of the Jaws selection specifically, it is very fugue-like, so the contrapuntal writing can get a little tricky.  Of all the pieces on that concert, that one is probably the least well-known, so it makes sense that the orchestra would have the most trouble with it.  But again, mistakes happen, even with familiar works.  I'll bet a week's salary the VPO still fucks up Beethoven's Fifth from time to time...

I've experienced the VPO (horns) mess-up during Lohengrin incidental music. Simone Young was conducting, and you should have seen her reaction - one hand grasping her mouth while shaking her head in disbelieve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHJkno9yjRI
At 1:42:25...

38 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Horns are among the usual suspects in all orchestras, but I'd say they do quite well on JW's Vienna album.

Yes, on the album they luckily do. The first concert, however, contained a flub of the solo horn intro to JP. And part of the ET climax was asynchronous.

On 8/18/2020 at 7:35 AM, tmarps said:

John Williams isn’t slowing down the tempo for his health.. he still conducts fast tempi on OSTs etc. Just my thoughts are that the Vienna Philharmonic are so unfamiliar with the pieces that slow and together (yes, together) was a better option than fast and the pieces completely fall apart and then with no way to get the orchestra back together. The Vienna Philharmonic’s lack of familiarity with the pieces was the main factor that constituted to the slower tempo choices, not Williams being “old”. In my opinion. 

I agree with this opinion

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I agree with this opinion

Conducting the VPO is like riding a horse...a war horse...or flying the Falcon solo like Herbert

11 hours ago, TownerFan said:

It was shot in 4K/60 fps as it's common nowadays for many live events.

And then downconverted to 1080i, which gives it a decidedly videoish look.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Why does that even exist?

bandwidth considerations at the start of the HDTV era.

Back then, it was either that or 720p, and those formats remained the standard for many HD channels to this day.

which may explain why this recording is the way it is. It was edited and finalized for television, and people just slapped that version onto the blu ray

15 hours ago, John Chambers said:

There's so much negativity in this thread .

surely we can enjoy this for what it is rather than nitpicking

In THIS THREAD?.

All the threads!

Telling folks here not to nitpick is like telling a drunk not to drink😵😡😠

On 5/6/2018 at 10:28 AM, Martyprod said:

Anyway, giving the Max Steiner award to Hans zimmer one month before John williams will perform in the same city (it's not the same orchestra and not the same hall) is kind of.. insult ? Joke ?

i know that sandra tomek (producer of the vienna film festival) did this as a pure business move to have Zimmer in her pocket, to have more recording contract with remote control and for other reasons too as she's producing as well the european zimmer tour, but it's a kind of a shame. in my opinion...

the zimmer "party" will be broadasted on 35th Tv network, and what about ... Williams ?

and come on, Max Steiner award to... :(

Quality post right here!