John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

I don't know if it has been posted before, but this review is spot on in my opinion: http://www.movie-wave.net/john-williams-in-vienna/

It mentions the exhaustingly discussed "flubs", but puts them into the correct perspective: small imperfections of a monumental experience.

The blame for the faults in these performances really are on Deutsche Grammophon's producers. They had audio from two concerts plus a patch-up session, so discerning listeners were expecting a more polished result.

From the review, quoted especially for @Disco StuThe regular CD sounds so stunning, I can’t begin to imagine how good the Ultra-High Quality MQA disc must sound

:lol:

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The blame for the faults in these performances really are on Deutsche Grammophon's producers. They had audio from two concerts plus a patch-up session, so discerning listeners were expecting a more polished result.

From the review, quoted especially for @Disco StuThe regular CD sounds so stunning, I can’t begin to imagine how good the Ultra-High Quality MQA disc must sound

:lol:

I agree with you! :-) On both points.

The CD sound quality is the one thing I disagree with the review. The sound on the CD is acceptable, but clearly inferior to the Blu-ray. And I don't think MQA would make much difference.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Did you listen to the blu-ray in stereo or surround?

5.1 Surround (not Atmos). One of the most impressive and realistic mixes I have ever heard. Replicated the original life experience very closely (with my system). 

2 minutes ago, Gurkensalat said:

5.1 Surround (not Atmos). One of the most impressive and realistic mixes I have ever heard. Replicated the original life experience very closely (with my system). 

How does the blu compare to the CD when mixed down to stereo?

I compared once the hi-rez stereo track on the BD with the CD. Sounded a bit better, clearer and less congested, but still a far cry from 5.1 with its enveloping realism. I have not listend to the 5.1. mixed down to stereo, since normally this is not the best idea.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

How does the blu compare to the CD when mixed down to stereo?

Great, in my opinion.
I don't have the setup for 5.1 listening, but I much prefer the downconversion of 5.1 to stereo rather than the stereo mix. Particularly for the Mutter tracks, her sound is more integrated with the rest of the orchestra, sounding much more aching to the real thing. Her sound is so prevalent in the stereo mix you have a hard time discerning subtleties in the orchestration. 

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I forgot the blu also has stereo tracks.

I've ripped the stereo track for standard listening. The sound characteristics are the same as on the CD stereo mix.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've ripped the stereo track for standard listening. The sound characteristics are the same as on the CD stereo mix.

Yeah, there's been some discussion about the BD stereo and the CD stereo, but I'd say you're probably right in this.

48 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Do they use the same takes on the blu as on the CD?

Yes. I thought you watched and listened to the release? Nobody complained more than you, so you should at least have listend to the recording before ROTFLMAO

Amazon just dropped off my blu-ray / cd set!  Why is the packaging shorter than the Across the Stars DVD/CD package?  I need consistency people!!!  LOL

I feel like it's meant to go on your blu ray shelf being primarily a video-centric release, while Across the Stars was meant to be a "deluxe" CD packaging with the video content being more of a bonus

15 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Amazon just dropped off my blu-ray / cd set!  Why is the packaging shorter than the Across the Stars DVD/CD package?  I need consistency people!!!  LOL

Just another thing they fu**ed up with this release. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I feel like it's meant to go on your blu ray shelf being primarily a video-centric release, while Across the Stars was meant to be a "deluxe" CD packaging with the video content being more of a bonus

It's meant to go on your exhibition shelf:

IMG_20201006_225009.jpg

14 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Much simpler: AtS comes with a DVD so the digipak is DVD case-sized. Vienna comes with a bluray so the digipak is bluray case-sized.

On 10/6/2020 at 4:54 PM, Holko said:

Much simpler: AtS comes with a DVD so the digipak is DVD case-sized. Vienna comes with a bluray so the digipak is bluray case-sized.

Oh.  Right.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Will this ever come back into stock in Australia!? C'mon D-G!

https://www.classicsdirect.com.au/artist-spotlights/john-williams-in-vienna/

Pre-ordered mine from here. Showing out of stock for the blu-ray combo though. 

26 minutes ago, Arpy said:

https://www.classicsdirect.com.au/artist-spotlights/john-williams-in-vienna/

Pre-ordered mine from here. Showing out of stock for the blu-ray combo though. 

Yeah I'm after the Bluray/CD combo!  :( JB haven't had stock for months.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Yeah I'm after the Bluray/CD combo!  :( JB haven't had stock for months.

Here it is in stock, with worldwide shipping.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8785414--john-williams-in-vienna-cd-blu-ray-video-edition

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/search/europadisc_results.htm

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Wow the Finnish Broadcasting Company YLE is broadcasting the concert recording today in a couple of hours! Sweet! :) 

Czech Television (CT) has broadcasted the concert recording (with Czech commentary) on Monday. It is still available on their website:

https://www.ceskatelevize.cz/porady/13576669986-john-williams-ve-vidni/22054215003/

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Great story! Did the guests cringe at the flubs and timing issues?

Third warning!!! 

7 hours ago, rough cut said:

So yesterday we had a small gathering for 1st of Advent, my custom xmas-playlist lazily playing in the background. The occasional song attracted a casual question about the origin and/or differences to other version - or just simply to share preferences (“Wham’s Last Christmas? I hate that song!” or “Thank God you put Mariah in there, it’s not Christmas without her hitting those high notes!”).

Towards the end of our little celebration the conversation drifted toward music in general. Trends that have come and gone, concerts we’ve been to, clubs we danced in until they threw us out... and naturally, somehow, the conversation turned towards John Williams. More specifically, towards the Vienna concerts.

Me and my wife, who both attended, commented on the tracks, gave a brief introduction to the individual pieces as well as the historical importance of the event itself, and I think we too our guests a bit by surprise - but in nothing but a good way!

We were laughing and pointing at the occasions where we show up in the clips, making the chit chat very personal, and we had our tiny audience mesmerized.

It was a great way to end a lovely evening.

Wonderful story!!