John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

34 minutes ago, tmarps said:

Perhaps a "deluxe CD" with the rest of the Anne-Sophie Mutter arrangements included? My thoughts on how DG get to cash-in further anyway ..

Or through "John Williams in Berlin" with silver DG cover logo?

Well, that's basically the version that should have been released on CD in the first place/that people who don't to Blu-ray have been complaining about not having. I've ripped the stereo track from the Blu, but unlike many others here I haven't bought a dozen different releases, just the Blu-ray. I might get this (when it reaches good price) so I have a proper version to put on my CD shelf.

I would assume this would be a 2-CD set when it's released.  Wish they would have released this at the same time of the initial CD release to give people the option of which version they wanted to purchase, similar to how the Hobbit scores were released.  Oh well, I'll get this for sure either way.

So, I’m guessing this version will be with applause?

If that’s the case, I don’t mind DG squeezing this one out, at least there’ll be a discernible difference compared to the other versions.

The new "Live Edition" of "John Williams in Vienna" with the complete concert experience including the composer's concert announcements and 6 bonus tracks on CD for the first time.

FROM THE MASTER OF CINEMA MAGIC

The legendary American film composer John Williams conducts the Vienna Philharmonic for the first time - “A visit from God” was the headline of the standard, “Standing cheering choirs from the very first appearance: as if God is received by earthly disciples.”

John Williams documented in Vienna the historical appearance - "a very special honor" in the life of the composer.

Symphonic Hollywood sounds on the stage of the Wiener Musikverein - the world-famous orchestra plays cult themes from Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park and other milestones in film history.

As the star guest Anne-Sophie Mutter with adaptations for violin specially arranged for her by Williams.

Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park - the soundtracks of the master of cinema magic John Williams are among the most popular in film history and have received numerous prestigious awards, including five Academy Awards, five Emmys, four Golden Globes and twenty-five Grammys. Now the legendary American film composer has recorded the most famous, beautiful and touching cult themes for the first time with the Vienna Philharmonic. "Great moments in film music" was the headline of the Wiener Zeitung, "Hollywood's grandmaster delighted with excerpts from his life's work at the podium of the Vienna Philharmonic."

Williams' two concerts at the Wiener Musikverein on January 18 and 19, 2020 were the first performances the composer has ever conducted in continental Europe. Working with the Vienna Philharmonic is "a very special honor" in his life. In addition to Williams and the orchestra, another exceptional artist was on stage in the first half of the concert: Anne-Sophie Mutter. The conductor and the violinist continued their artistic partnership after their joint album Across the Stars.

The new album "John Williams in Vienna" combines cult themes from ET, The White Shark, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones and other milestones in film history as well as two previously unreleased adaptations for violin des "Devil's Dance" from The Witches of Eastwick and the "Raider's March" from Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark. Of course, the world-famous "; Imperial March" from Star Wars should not be missing. "One of the best performances of this march I've ever heard," said Williams.

The new "Live Edition" is the only audio version that contains the unique concert experience with additional 6 tracks.

The album is also available on CD, vinyl, download and stream.

Tracklist:

CD 1
01. APPLAUSE
02. THE FLIGHT TO NEVERLAND from HOOK
03. EXCERPTS from CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
04. INTRODUCTION BY JOHN WILLIAMS
05. HEDWIG'S THEME from HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE
06. THEMEOK from SABRINA AND DONNYB from FAR AND AWAY
08. DEVIL'S DANCE from THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK
09. INTRODUCTION OF ET
10. ADVENTURES ON EARTH from ET THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL

CD 2
01. THEME from JURASSIC PARK
02. DARTMOOR, 1912 from WAR HORSE
03. OUT TO SEA & THE SHARK CAGE FUGUE from JAWS
04. MARION'S THEME from INDIANA JONES AND THE RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
05. INTRODUCTION OF STAR WARS
06. THE REBELLION IS REBORN from STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI
07. LUKE & LEIA from STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI
08. MAIN TITLE from STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE
09. INTRODUCTION OF CINDERELLA LIBERTY
10. NICE TO BE AROUND from CINDERELLA LIBERTY
11. INTRODUCTION OF TINTIN
12. THE DUEL from THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN
13. REMEMBRANCES from SCHINDLER'S LIST
14. RAIDERS MARCH from INDIANA JONES AND THE RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
15. THE IMPERIAL MARCH from STAR WARS : THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

The thing is getting released on my birthday so if that isn't kismet, I don't know what is. Considering I missed out on my Pittsburgh Williams concert, this is the least the universe could do.

But I am obsessed with Devil's Dance. I wonder why weren't there more vicious violin solos like this one in the original score? It's not a new sound for him, there is an incredible one in Hook when the hook is sharpened. Great score, either way. 4:29 is one of the most thrilling sounds Williams has ever created. Not technically a score-gasm as it was never in a film in that form but so deserves the title

Also, the low plucking

I wonder if the producers will maybe repair some of the more glaring errors from the original release. There should be a way to fix Main Titles for instance.

But yeah, probably not, most likely a lazy cash-in.

If this Live Edition comes to Amazon US and I buy it (which, for this completist, is gonna happen), I'll have quadruple-dipped on this album. For the sake of my wallet, DG had better have no other plans up their sleeve for this cash cow.

On 12/3/2020 at 7:10 AM, crumbs said:

Geez, can Disney please start milking the complete Star Wars scores this relentlessly? That would be really appreciated.

No kidding!  Unfortunately both Disney and Sony decided to milk the SW cow a million times over.

4 hours ago, E-Wan said:

And it is not enough!

DG is releasing also Blu-Ray only edition.

https://www.amazon.de/John-Williams-Live-in-Vienna-Blu-ray/dp/B08NVDLLX1

Geez, I still can't get the combo Bluray/CD edition here in Australia. It's been sold out since the day it was released (no idea how much stock was originally available, clearly very little).

Very surprising considering it launched at #1 on the classical music charts in AU. You'd think they would capitalise on that popularity right before Christmas.

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

Geez, I still can't get the combo Bluray/CD edition here in Australia. It's been sold out since the day it was released (no idea how much stock was originally available, clearly very little).

Very surprising considering it launched at #1 on the classical music charts in AU. You'd think they would capitalise on that popularity right before Christmas.

I won a free copy from an online contest in Australia. Since they could only ship it within Australia, I was lucky to have mine mailed to a cousin residing there. Now just have to wait for him to visit me here. But ill say that it took 4 months to arrive from the sponsor because it had sold out in OZ. 

Obviously I couldn't wait that long I had to order mine via Presto music online from Europe and it took not less than 2 weeks to reach me. Try ordering it from them. 

As posted by someone at FSM Board:

Japan will get a Hybrid SACD edition, too. Though it says "DSD conversion from 96/24", so it sounds like DG will just convert the existing 96/24 PCM audio into DSD:

https://www.universal-music.co.jp/john-williams/products/ucgg-9194/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B08PDP4BLD/?language=en_US
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCGG-9194

I like when they offer different versions of the same release. When they remastered Solti's Ring in 2012, there was a big collector's set and then smaller sets of each of its pieces: the book alone, the blu-ray alone, the CD's alone. I found it convenient. That way everyone can buy the experience they want and aren't roped into the whole thing.

I personally want everything but casual viewers/listeners may not. Hey, anything that keeps Williams on the charts is a good thing in my book.

On 12/2/2020 at 5:17 PM, bigjimwilson said:

Ha that was awesome timing!

Delighted for this release...

3 hours ago, blondheim said:

Hey, anything that keeps Williams on the charts is a good thing in my book.

Not sure here, but couldn’t it be that by increasing the number of options, there’s actually less chance of JW appearing on the charts because the sales are spread out between multiple items?

Perhaps all it does is line DG’s pocket.

It may. I would assume not, but I am admittedly not an industry professional. I don't think the five editions of each new pop album affects their sales too much but I could be wrong.

I think even if it is just exposure, that has to be some good. Exposure is exposure.

Yes, well, there’s no such thing as bad publicity, so I’m sure it’s good for JW or DG.

And in terms of sales, I’m sure DV knows what they’re doing.

No idea how that translates into chart territory, though, but I’m guessing it’s counter productive - but I’m not an industry hound either.

\_(ツ)_/

28 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Not sure here, but couldn’t it be that by increasing the number of options, there’s actually less chance of JW appearing on the charts because the sales are spread out between multiple items?

I've been wondering the same. Does it decrease Williams' chance of winning a Gold Record for this album, and if so, does it increase his chances of winning five of them?

On 12/2/2020 at 1:38 PM, Jay said:

The new "Live Edition" of "John Williams in Vienna" with the complete concert experience including the composer's concert announcements and 6 bonus tracks on CD for the first time.

FROM THE MASTER OF CINEMA MAGIC

The legendary American film composer John Williams conducts the Vienna Philharmonic for the first time - “A visit from God” was the headline of the standard, “Standing cheering choirs from the very first appearance: as if God is received by earthly disciples.”

John Williams documented in Vienna the historical appearance - "a very special honor" in the life of the composer.

Symphonic Hollywood sounds on the stage of the Wiener Musikverein - the world-famous orchestra plays cult themes from Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park and other milestones in film history.

As the star guest Anne-Sophie Mutter with adaptations for violin specially arranged for her by Williams.

Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park - the soundtracks of the master of cinema magic John Williams are among the most popular in film history and have received numerous prestigious awards, including five Academy Awards, five Emmys, four Golden Globes and twenty-five Grammys. Now the legendary American film composer has recorded the most famous, beautiful and touching cult themes for the first time with the Vienna Philharmonic. "Great moments in film music" was the headline of the Wiener Zeitung, "Hollywood's grandmaster delighted with excerpts from his life's work at the podium of the Vienna Philharmonic."

Williams' two concerts at the Wiener Musikverein on January 18 and 19, 2020 were the first performances the composer has ever conducted in continental Europe. Working with the Vienna Philharmonic is "a very special honor" in his life. In addition to Williams and the orchestra, another exceptional artist was on stage in the first half of the concert: Anne-Sophie Mutter. The conductor and the violinist continued their artistic partnership after their joint album Across the Stars.

The new album "John Williams in Vienna" combines cult themes from ET, The White Shark, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones and other milestones in film history as well as two previously unreleased adaptations for violin des "Devil's Dance" from The Witches of Eastwick and the "Raider's March" from Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark. Of course, the world-famous "; Imperial March" from Star Wars should not be missing. "One of the best performances of this march I've ever heard," said Williams.

The new "Live Edition" is the only audio version that contains the unique concert experience with additional 6 tracks.

The album is also available on CD, vinyl, download and stream.

Tracklist:

CD 1
01. APPLAUSE
02. THE FLIGHT TO NEVERLAND from HOOK
03. EXCERPTS from CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
04. INTRODUCTION BY JOHN WILLIAMS
05. HEDWIG'S THEME from HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE
06. THEMEOK from SABRINA AND DONNYB from FAR AND AWAY
08. DEVIL'S DANCE from THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK
09. INTRODUCTION OF ET
10. ADVENTURES ON EARTH from ET THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL

CD 2
01. THEME from JURASSIC PARK
02. DARTMOOR, 1912 from WAR HORSE
03. OUT TO SEA & THE SHARK CAGE FUGUE from JAWS
04. MARION'S THEME from INDIANA JONES AND THE RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
05. INTRODUCTION OF STAR WARS
06. THE REBELLION IS REBORN from STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI
07. LUKE & LEIA from STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI
08. MAIN TITLE from STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE
09. INTRODUCTION OF CINDERELLA LIBERTY
10. NICE TO BE AROUND from CINDERELLA LIBERTY
11. INTRODUCTION OF Tintin
12. THE DUEL from THE ADVENTURES OF Tintin: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN
13. REMEMBRANCES from SCHINDLER'S LIST
14. RAIDERS MARCH from INDIANA JONES AND THE RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
15. THE IMPERIAL MARCH from STAR WARS : THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

Hmm. If this becomes available to purchase in the U.S., I may get the digital copy, since I already own the Blu-Ray/CD set.

Though, if this “live edition” is physical copy only, I still may get it for the CDs, as the performances are probably different than the program on the single CD release. So, it will be two performances of the Maestro conducting the Vienna Philharmonic... Nothing wrong with that! :)

6 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Though, if this “live edition” is physical copy only, I still may get it for the CDs, as the performances are probably different than the program on the single CD release. So, it will be two performances of the Maestro conducting the Vienna Philharmonic... Nothing wrong with that! :)

The single CD and Blu-ray performances are the same - just listen to the few seconds of Star Wars Main Title between 0.19 and 0.26 discussed here very often. But it'll still be nice to have this Live Edition on CD as well. Such a large number of editions proves that it's a bestseller. :)

So far there are 5 editions for sale (or pre-order)

1) Bluray + 13 track audience-removed CD

2) 13 track audience-removed CD

3) vinyl

4) "Live Edition" 2CD set (19 tracks with audience noise)

5) Blu Ray only

We don't know what DG might also do in the future.

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

3) vinyl

5) Blu Ray only

Wasn't there an MQA Japanese release announced for January?

On 12/8/2020 at 5:19 AM, Jay said:

3) vinyl

5) Blu Ray only

As @Jurassic Shark mentioned there is the MQA CD and CD/Blu-Ray combo from Japan. (The nice thing about this one is that it is a solid jewel case - both versions. The combo also has different cover art you can stack so it shows on the top.) So that's

6) Japan MQA CD

7) Japan MQA CD/Blu-ray combo

Then there is also the now sold out Gold LP version that was exclusive to DG's site. Same content as 3 above, but technically another release. I have one numbered below 20!

8) Vinyl - Numbered Gold Edition

Could we end up getting a 3 LP Live Edition too? I would not be surprised.

9. The digital HD release too for the audio

here is another: but only the previous program [sans the live edition] 

A Blu Ray AUDIO version.

2.0 DTS-HD MA 24bit / 96kHz

5.1 DTS-HD MA 24bit / 96kHz

Dolby Atmos

https://pureaudiorecordings.com/product/john-williams-wiener-philharmoniker-john-williams-live-in-vienna/?cookie-state-change=1608188671681

The specs indicate that 5.1  mix is 96kHz instead of 24bit/48kHz on the regular Blu rays.

(This is just the Blu ray Audio with no video.)

• 2 weeks later...