John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

Thanks for the updates, and prices. I didn't know the BR-only version was out already. But both options are still too steep for me. I'll have to scour the secondary markets.

No way. Beer beats everything!

But I'm not worried. I'm sure I'll find it for the price I want at some point, in Amazon's used section or wherever. I'm more worried for the other 3 Williams albums I want, since they aren't as widely available.

Does anybody have a clue about this release?
Is this track-list wrong?
Is it the standard single blu-ray edition with wrong details added (381 minutes!) or another one, possibly showing both concerts?

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/john-williams-in-vienna/hnum/10367113

3 hours ago, ciarlese said:

Does anybody have a clue about this release?
Is this track-list wrong?
Is it the standard single blu-ray edition with wrong details added (381 minutes!) or another one, possibly showing both concerts?

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/john-williams-in-vienna/hnum/10367113

Nothing new, it's exactly like the Blueray on the CD/Blueray edition:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/john-williams-anne-sophie-mutter-john-williams-in-vienna/hnum/9843487

On 1/16/2021 at 10:12 AM, Remco said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKE6MKOClF8/?igshid=ooin9y3gzp1d

JWfans will take over the orchestras one day! (Hmm, why doesn’t it embed)

They should ask if Williams can conduct the New Year’s concert! 😄I wonder how Williams will handle the Radedzky March! 

5 hours ago, bigjimwilson said:

I can't believe it's a year already. I remember everything about that weekend so clearly. A truly magical time that will stay with me forever. 

Right I have the same feeling. At that time I had no idea in what kind of misery we end up. 

Oh yes, and right now we were sitting in "Gmoakeller", thanks to you:

Happy birthday to you, Fabulin/Karol!

We celebrated with our daughter via Zoom this time - absolutely no comparison to 365(+1) days ago.

I hope you've had a nice birthday...

18 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Feels like yesterday

Yes. Yes, it does. (fortunately and terrifyingly)

11 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

I will not forget.

None of us ever will. We are ... "Class of January 2020"

PS: Good to know that at least you had a small party with living breathing humans at all. We weren't that lucky with our daughter.

PPS: Where did you acquire  this funny animated GIF with Max Steiner?

2 hours ago, Martinland said:

Yes. Yes, it does. (fortunately and terrifyingly)

None of us ever will. We are ... "Class of January 2020"

PS: Good to know that at least you had a small party with living breathing humans at all. We weren't that lucky with our daughter.

PPS: Where did you acquire  this funny animated GIF with Max Steiner?

“Class of January 2020” - I love that. 

What a weekend! (And delicious meal In Gmoakeller). 

The music, the snow...

34 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Listening to the Blu-Ray again. What suddenly strikes me is how amazing this orchestra sounds (not how well they play). They really need to record more JW, after preparing that is.

Yes, it would be even nicer if Williams used them for a film project. I asked this question to MOVIE WEEKLY(Australia) contest which would ask Williams in an interview. And yes, I won the set as a result of my posed question. 

• 2 weeks later...

Right, pre-ordered this on Amazon FR since I'm not going along with this new extra UK VAT thing. I wonder if they will have shortened the applause after the encores. Oh, and the next release will obviously be 3 CD set with the Mutter/JW conversation added. then this release will appear on vinyl, then the 3 CD set will appear on cassette and laserdisc.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Right, pre-ordered this on Amazon FR since I'm not going along with this new extra UK VAT thing.

But if you're not living in the UK anymore, that VAT will be subtracted when ordering from Amazon UK.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Wait, what, 2 CD live edition?

On 12/2/2020 at 12:17 PM, bigjimwilson said:

On 12/2/2020 at 12:18 PM, Jay said:

lol

718sKm6ndKL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

On 12/2/2020 at 1:38 PM, Jay said:

The new "Live Edition" of "John Williams in Vienna" with the complete concert experience including the composer's concert announcements and 6 bonus tracks on CD for the first time.

FROM THE MASTER OF CINEMA MAGIC

The legendary American film composer John Williams conducts the Vienna Philharmonic for the first time - “A visit from God” was the headline of the standard, “Standing cheering choirs from the very first appearance: as if God is received by earthly disciples.”

John Williams documented in Vienna the historical appearance - "a very special honor" in the life of the composer.

Symphonic Hollywood sounds on the stage of the Wiener Musikverein - the world-famous orchestra plays cult themes from Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park and other milestones in film history.

As the star guest Anne-Sophie Mutter with adaptations for violin specially arranged for her by Williams.

Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park - the soundtracks of the master of cinema magic John Williams are among the most popular in film history and have received numerous prestigious awards, including five Academy Awards, five Emmys, four Golden Globes and twenty-five Grammys. Now the legendary American film composer has recorded the most famous, beautiful and touching cult themes for the first time with the Vienna Philharmonic. "Great moments in film music" was the headline of the Wiener Zeitung, "Hollywood's grandmaster delighted with excerpts from his life's work at the podium of the Vienna Philharmonic."

Williams' two concerts at the Wiener Musikverein on January 18 and 19, 2020 were the first performances the composer has ever conducted in continental Europe. Working with the Vienna Philharmonic is "a very special honor" in his life. In addition to Williams and the orchestra, another exceptional artist was on stage in the first half of the concert: Anne-Sophie Mutter. The conductor and the violinist continued their artistic partnership after their joint album Across the Stars.

The new album "John Williams in Vienna" combines cult themes from ET, The White Shark, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones and other milestones in film history as well as two previously unreleased adaptations for violin des "Devil's Dance" from The Witches of Eastwick and the "Raider's March" from Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark. Of course, the world-famous "; Imperial March" from Star Wars should not be missing. "One of the best performances of this march I've ever heard," said Williams.

The new "Live Edition" is the only audio version that contains the unique concert experience with additional 6 tracks.

The album is also available on CD, vinyl, download and stream.

Tracklist:

CD 1
01. APPLAUSE
02. THE FLIGHT TO NEVERLAND from HOOK
03. EXCERPTS from CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
04. INTRODUCTION BY JOHN WILLIAMS
05. HEDWIG'S THEME from HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE
06. THEMEOK from SABRINA AND DONNYB from FAR AND AWAY
08. DEVIL'S DANCE from THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK
09. INTRODUCTION OF ET
10. ADVENTURES ON EARTH from ET THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL

CD 2
01. THEME from JURASSIC PARK
02. DARTMOOR, 1912 from WAR HORSE
03. OUT TO SEA & THE SHARK CAGE FUGUE from JAWS
04. MARION'S THEME from INDIANA JONES AND THE RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
05. INTRODUCTION OF STAR WARS
06. THE REBELLION IS REBORN from STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI
07. LUKE & LEIA from STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI
08. MAIN TITLE from STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE
09. INTRODUCTION OF CINDERELLA LIBERTY
10. NICE TO BE AROUND from CINDERELLA LIBERTY
11. INTRODUCTION OF TINTIN
12. THE DUEL from THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN
13. REMEMBRANCES from SCHINDLER'S LIST
14. RAIDERS MARCH from INDIANA JONES AND THE RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
15. THE IMPERIAL MARCH from STAR WARS : THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

Right, I missed the whole reveal because I assumed the thread was being bumped again because of more complaints about the performances (I take part of the blame).

12 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Waiting for my order to ship. Just wondering if it will be mutli channel or just stereo? 

Update! 

Found this on eBay. It is Stereo. 

At least the cd is in regular jewel case. With Obi. Cool. 

P. S. Just got shipping notice from Tokyo, Japan. Should have it by mid next week. 

20210205_101520.jpg

5 hours ago, Amer said:

Waiting for my order to ship. Just wondering if it will be mutli channel or just stereo? 

Update! 

Found this on eBay. It is Stereo. 

At least the cd is in regular jewel case. With Obi. Cool. 

P. S. Just got shipping notice from Tokyo, Japan. Should have it by mid next week. 

20210205_101520.jpg

Cool - note the SACD logo!

I like New Music Fridays.

14 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

I have Blu-Ray, Gold LP, CD and of course I will also buy the Live Edition 2CD too :)

Why on earth would you buy this multiple times? Seems like a waste of money.