John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

11 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Followed by the "Authentic Edition" 4 CD set with the complete raw material of both Vienna concerts (18th, 19th January, resp.)

Haha - actually I do wish they had spent their ample time (!) to incorporate more than a couple of audience and moderation shots of the historic and in a couple of cases better Saturday performance in a more balanced way, so to speak. Well, let's be thankful for what transpired. ;)

12 hours ago, Martinland said:

Haha - actually I do wish they had spent their ample time (!) to incorporate more than a couple of audience and moderation shots of the historic and in a couple of cases better Saturday performance in a more balanced way, so to speak. Well, let's be thankful for what transpired. ;)

Not enough close ups of JWFan-ners!

5 hours ago, BB-8 said:

But I have really no reason to complain as I'm on the inner cover of all European editions.

Me too!  

I am trying to get a super hi res of that inner cover photograph, or a print to display on the wall.  Any ideas?

These are the highest res I can find on the search engines. 

john_williams_in_vienna_top_2.jpg

117393723_10157377840365857_992705577904561774_o.jpg

Received my copy of Live Edition today. :wub: I have the Blu-ray/CD combo and last year's regular digipak CD but I still love this one since it helps me in reliving that unforgettable day - no need to turn on the TV and the blu-ray player, I just put my headphones on, be it home or on the go, and listen to this baby :lol:

Surely this has been discussed before but I can't find where and when exactly - does anyone know if they took most of these CDs (and Blu-ray) performances from Saturday's or from Sunday's concert? (I was there on Saturday only.) Probably they also combined both where it was feasible and we all know that some endings of individual pieces were being recorded in the hall after the audience had departed but I still wonder whether there's any "official" - reliable information about that?

8 minutes ago, Maglorfin said:

Received my copy of Live Edition today. :wub: I have the Blu-ray/CD combo and last year's regular digipak CD but I still love this one since it helps me in reliving that unforgettable day - no need to turn on the TV and the blu-ray player, I just put my headphones on, be it home or on the go, and listen to this baby :lol:

Surely this has been discussed before but I can't find where and when exactly - does anyone know if they took most of these CDs (and Blu-ray) performances from Saturday's or from Sunday's concert? (I was there on Saturday only.) Probably they also combined both where it was feasible and we all know that some endings of individual pieces were being recorded in the hall after the audience had departed but I still wonder whether there's any "official" - reliable information about that?

There is no confirmation, but the music is from sunday. Only two speeches from Johnny are from saturday. No idea if they patched some flubs with the saturday performance or if they also rerecorded these parts.

1 hour ago, Steve said:

Only two speeches from Johnny are from saturday.

Really? Which ones? The ones I can think of are all from Sunday.

1 hour ago, Steve said:

No idea if they patched some flubs with the saturday performance or if they also rerecorded these parts.

Probably not. The Saturday performance should have a SW main title without the sync issue. Perhaps the two takes were not compatible for merging, and I suppose they didn't want to go with only the Saturday take because there the beginning had some applause, IIRC?

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

His tie changes within seconds after Close encounters finishes and there is another speech, not sure which one it is. Saturday he wore a grey tie, sunday blue. 

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Probably not. The Saturday performance should have a SW main title without the sync issue. Perhaps the two takes were not compatible for merging, and I suppose they didn't want to go with only the Saturday take because there the beginning had some applause, IIRC?

No idea why. They fixed a trumpet error in Jurassic Park and one horn tone in Luke and Leia. It was not noticable in the release. With time stretch, different tempi should not be a problem. However, they did very little editing.

13 hours ago, Steve said:

His tie changes within seconds after Close encounters finishes and there is another speech, not sure which one it is. Saturday he wore a grey tie, sunday blue. 

No idea why. They fixed a trumpet error in Jurassic Park and one horn tone in Luke and Leia. It was not noticable in the release. With time stretch, different tempi should not be a problem. However, they did very little editing.

The tie also switches at the end of Tintin.

By the way, where's the applause at the beginning of the Imperial March?

Some more grey-tie footage (Saturday) here at 09:28 :

BFMI * Bernhard Fleischer Moving Images

19 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

"Guten Tag, ik sprecke nix Deutsch..." 

On 2/5/2021 at 11:06 PM, BB-8 said:

Seemso.

Die von Universal Japan angebotenen Discs sind zusätzlich MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) codiert. 

John Williams in Vienna - Sieveking Sound (sieveking-sound.de)

So this edition has both UHQCD and MQA. 

Will the UHQCD format play on normal players? I think MQA does require a specific DAC or supporting player. 

Anyways I suppose the UHQCD has a better resolution so can you feel the difference between this and regular playback? 

Also since it's Japanese release I saw another format for some of the Boston Pop recordings of another format called SHM CD. Anyone know what that is? 

UHQCD play on normal CD-players.

SHM-CD = Super High Material Compact Disc; invented by Universal Music Japan using superior materials to manufacture CDs.

I can't really tell the difference between UHQCD and SHM-CD.

There are also SHM-SACD around.

But can you feel the jump in sound quality with both UHQCD and SHM-CD if you compare with normal cd. I suppose the resolution is better.

On 2/15/2021 at 4:19 PM, Amer said:

But can you feel the jump in sound quality with both UHQCD and SHM-CD if you compare with normal cd. I suppose the resolution is better.

One should set-up a blind-test experiment on a representative group of individuals under identical controlled conditions.

The very limited SACD pressing of the Live Edition is back in stock at Amazon U.K. if any JWFANs are flush with cash:

John Williams - Live In Vienna (Hybrid-SACD) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08PDP4BLD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_TXB1RK8DF0JWHZHWERH0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

17 minutes ago, mahler3 said:

The very limited SACD pressing of the Live Edition is back in stock at Amazon U.K. if any JWFANs are flush with cash:

John Williams - Live In Vienna (Hybrid-SACD) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08PDP4BLD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_TXB1RK8DF0JWHZHWERH0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I'm going to try and avoid any purchases from Amazon UK from now on unless things change. It's crazy.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm going to try and avoid any purchases from Amazon UK from now on unless things change. It's crazy.

Because of Brexit? We have similar issues, nothing from Amazon EU or numerous Amazon US products are currently available to ship to N. Ireland. Very frustrating.

30 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

not because of the pandemic

It's definitely partly because of the pandemic. European branch Amazon packages that would take about a week to get to Norway now take up to a month.

I guess it depends whether it involves air traffic.

Here's the SACD version for $41:

https://www.importcds.com/john-williams-live-in-vienna-hyrbid-sacd/4988031412138

The UHQCD-MQA version for $26:

https://www.importcds.com/john-williams-in-vienna-uhqcd-mqa/4988031389614

Here's an UHQCD-MQA + blu-ray combo for $56. Has this been mentioned before?

https://www.importcds.com/john-williams-in-vienna-uhqcd-mqa/4988031390146

8 hours ago, mahler3 said:

Because of Brexit? We have similar issues, nothing from Amazon EU or numerous Amazon US products are currently available to ship to N. Ireland. Very frustrating.

And to make matters more fun, my recent Intrada order is coming from San Francisco via London Heathrow for the first time (or at least it's the first time that a stopover shows up on tracking). It took 11 days from Intrada to Heathrow, where it left on the 14th, and nothing since. The Austrian Post only has electronic shipping info so far, but apparently, recent parcels often arrive without ever actively getting tracked after London.

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Well, I couldn't help it. I've ordered the Live Edition 2CD.

It's a much better listening experience than that stupid 1 CD version. You need Mutter and JW's speeches to accept this as an adequate live performance.

How is it different from the initial CD + Blu Ray release?

And can you provide a link to where you saw this information when you post something like that?  Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

How is it different from the initial CD + Blu Ray release?

And can you provide a link to where you saw this information when you post something like that?  Thanks.

https://www.amazon.de/John-Williams-Vienna-Deluxe-BluRay/dp/B08WS771JT/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=john+williams+vienna&qid=1614180099&sprefix=john+williams+&sr=8-8

I think the only difference will be the yellow logo.

0037bdeb-8d31-45a4-8418-e09a65fe3f6b.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___-1.jpg

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Oh I see, it's in a standard blu ray case instead of the digipak style one

No, that's already out. The new one is a yellow-labeled Digipack containing Bluray and standard CD.

The edition the world really needs ;-)