John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

I have only the original Blu+CD release (cardboard Blu-ray case with golden label). But I'd buy a standard CD jewel case version with yellow label, regardless of content. I.e. the one single thing they haven't released yet, it seems.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But I'd buy a standard CD jewel case version

Audience-free 1 CD in jewel case: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B089BMTKFF

Live Edition 2 CD in jewel case: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B08PDP4BLD

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Audience-free 1 CD in jewel case: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B089BMTKFF

Live Edition 2 CD in jewel case: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B08PDP4BLD

I said "with yellow label". And I should also have said "with Latin characters on the spine". Basically I'd just like a version for my CD shelf that looks like a "proper" DG release.

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh ok

What does the color of the label signify? I don't understand that part

"In 1949, Deutsche Grammophon sold the German rights of the His Master's Voice trademark to the Electrola unit of EMI. The dog and gramophone were replaced by the crown of tulips, designed by Siemens advertising consultant Hans Domizlaff."

Maybe tulips are yellow?

Deutsche Grammophon - Wikipedia

The designer apparently was a pioneer of "corporate design" - with certain roots in Nazi-Germany, but with an interesting role in nature conservation.

Hans Domizlaff – Wikipedia

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

"In 1949, Deutsche Grammophon sold the German rights of the His Master's Voice trademark to the Electrola unit of EMI. The dog and gramophone were replaced by the crown of tulips, designed by Siemens advertising consultant Hans Domizlaff."

Interesting article. I never knew HMV used to belong to DG.

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is that the reason you mentioned the yellow label, @Marian Schedenig?

In a way, but it's much more simple than that. I basically grew up with Deutsche Grammophon recordings - first my father and my grandmother had a lot of DG LPs, then my father had a lot of DG CDs, and when I started listening to orchestral music myself, many of my first CDs (including some recordings I still treasure) were DG's, a lot of them conducted by Karajan, but also some Kubelik and the odd Bernstein. I suppose being Austrian might be a factor; many of the classic recordings of the core repertoire from composers from and/or associated with Vienna are on DG, especially those by "local" artists like Karajan, Böhm, Kubelik, etc.

And all those recordings always had the same basic design - the yellow "Deutsche Grammophon" shield, usually placed prominently at the top of the front cover (like on the Williams release). Smaller versions of the shield were usually reserved for budget re-releases - I had quite a few of those, but the big yellow shield sort of embodied the concept of a premium release. For me (and I believe many others from Austria and Germany who grew up with their catalogue), it's an immensely iconic design, and being familiar with the shield on the big LP covers as a child only amplifies the effect, for probably the same reason that some people here buy Williams albums on vinyl even when they don't even have a record player.

The shield was always yellow, and the CD spine and back cover were usually white, with the top and bottom of the spine (where the label and release number are) also the same yellow. Sometimes, on early digital releases, the whole spine was yellow. For a while, the "Resonance" budget series (which included many classic standard repertoire recordings, including Karajan's early 1960s Beethoven cycle) even featured an entirely yellow plastic inlay (instead of the usually blackish grey).

DG has done releases with a golden version of the shield before, perhaps most prominently the "Karajan Gold" cycle consisting of re-releases of Karajan's digital recordings. But for me, the original yellow label says "classical music recording tradition" like nothing else. So I'd just like to have a "proper" version of the cover that seamlessly integrates with all those iconic Karajan Bruckner and Strauss albums.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Do you have any reason to believe DG will put out a version of the Vienne album in the way you want?

None whatsoever - except that considering the number of different release they've made of the concert, and that some of them do have the normal yellow shield, and the fact that one of the Japanese releases is pretty much what I'd like (just with Kanji), it wouldn't surprise me if some future release fits my criteria.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Isn't it a bit embarrassing for a store that calls itself EMI Austria to have a big DG logo in the window?

How much of the big HMV in Oxford Street's stock was actually produced by HMV (before they closed for good)?

They're first of all a record store, one of the few that remain today. One of the few others of note is Gramola (who closed down the other of their two shops (where I bought so many of my early CDs) years ago), and they also double as a record label.

Plus, I bought my very first CD at that EMI store, and that was The Star Wars Trilogy (the Skywalker Symphony album)… on Sony. I rarely went there afterwards, because they were always ridiculously expensive. But I do remember I also picked up Goldenthal's Titus there. Also Sony.

It's been a long time since I listened to it, but I never had an issue with that. My one problematic track on that album is Here They Come - it's just too slow and lacks energy, especially when you know the Gerhardt version. I like the tempi of the other tracks.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I haven't ever listened to that last one

Here it is.

8 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Gerhardt is certainly good, though the orchestra sometimes sounds too far away from me.

It's certainly a very dynamic recording.

• 1 month later...

Exact same experience here. Something about watching the video too, or maybe a different mix, or both, made me not even notice the edit in SW that bothers me a lot on album.

I mean really, what was Anne-Sophie Mutter attempting to do by demanding credit for playing violin on Raiders March? Does she get royalties from each individual track stream she's on or something? I was at the concert and her lingering around to play Raiders' Violin 1 part felt awkward anyway, but now she actually gets credit for being on that track even though she played the sectional like the rest of the orchestra? Just think it's odd.

1 minute ago, tmarps said:

Does she get royalties from each individual track stream she's on or something?

Of course she does

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

Of course she does

Now it all makes sense.. surprised she doesn't claim royalties from the "Imperial March" as she did sit at the side of the stage watching.. 

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I didn't even need the video to enjoy the live concert. I think something changes psychologially when you have the applause and JW's interludes. I happily accept flaws in a concert, not on something that sounds like a studio recording. Nothing stopped the producers from recording additional pick-ups for the first CD edition. The concert can be flawed.

I'm preaching this since last august ;) It was even more special to witness it live!