John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

7 hours ago, Lord Montague said:

what are you amateurs talking about? because your keyboard trumpet plays instant to your midi click track you think that's relevant for real musicians? LOL
Sorry Vienna Phil is no match to your Casio keyboards.

This guy is: 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm backfilling my collection and intend to get the gold deluxe digipak blu ray with the CD(s).  There are two listings on Amazon.

Is budget listing on Amazon a no frills edition in a regular blue clamshell?

"Budget Listing" Blue Clamshell?

Is this listing for the deluxe gold foil digipak double the price because it's out of print?

"Gold Deluxe Listing" Digipak?

Anyone know of any other place to get the gold deluxe digipak?  This seems elusive and confusing enough where I could end up ordering the wrong thing.

Grooves.Land has this 2 Disc Set.  Is this what I want?

Grooves.Land 2 Disc Set

I think as long as it’s Blu-Ray with 2 Discs, I’m good.  Here’s the information From the listing:

Number of discs: 2
pixel_trans.gif
Description:

Labelcode 002894860735 (486 073-5, 486 073-5), Record Company Universal Music Ltd., Taiwan

On 26/02/2022 at 1:40 PM, Hedji said:

I'm backfilling my collection and intend to get the gold deluxe digipak blu ray with the CD(s). There are two listings on Amazon.

Is budget listing on Amazon a no frills edition in a regular blue clamshell?

"Budget Listing" Blue Clamshell?

That looks like the Blu Ray of the concert in a standard blue Blu Ray case yea; I honestly didn't even know they released that version!  It says on the back "<tracks> also included in further audio-only formats", which isn't as specific as the version I bought.

I bought this version: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087SCCYF1/

That is a custom digipak instead of a blue plastic Blu Ray case.  It contains the Blu Ray and also contains the 1CD applause-free version; On the back of that, it says "<tracks> also included in further audio-only formats on BluRay and on separate CD"

Personally, I'd recommend spending $4 extra to get that version over the blue plastic one.

Is this listing for the deluxe gold foil digipak double the price because it's out of print?

"Gold Deluxe Listing" Digipak?

Yea, that looks like some overpriced import.  I bought the CDs from Amazon as well, so can confirm this:

This is the 1CD edition with no applause and 5 pieces cut: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087SM43M9/

This is the 2CD edition with applause and speeches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L3Q6GCJ/

Both are digipaks and not jewel cases.

Of course, you only need to buy the 1CD edition if you want to have it on your shelf with your music instead of only existing inside the tall case that contains the Blu Ray of the concert.

Anyone know of any other place to get the gold deluxe digipak?  This seems elusive and confusing enough where I could end up ordering the wrong thing.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8872223--john-williams-live-in-vienna

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

For Vienna, the Blu Ray versions and the CD versions are completely separated.

There's a digipak release with one CD and one blu-ray, where the CD doesn't contain the whole concert.

On 26/02/2022 at 7:40 PM, Hedji said:

Better stay away from Amazon if you want your order to arrive undamaged.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9266545--john-williams-the-berlin-concert-blu-ray-edition

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's a digipak release with one CD and one blu-ray, where the CD doesn't contain the whole concert.

Oh, I haven't come across that one!

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Better stay away from Amazon if you want your order to arrive undamaged.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9266545--john-williams-the-berlin-concert-blu-ray-edition

All 3 of my Vienna purchases I ordered from Amazon US arrived in perfect condition.

The Berlin Blu Ray/CD combo I ordered from Presto Music arrived in perfect condition too!

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It was literally the first release containing the blu-ray!

You're completely right and I had completely forgotten how it all worked.

Yes indeed, the Blu Ray version I have does indeed have the 1CD version inside it too.  I forgot about that, because I haven't opened it yet!

I will go up and fix my posts.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

All 3 of my Vienna purchases I ordered from Amazon US arrived in perfect condition.

The problem is that their "new" AI packaging system doesn't use packaging material that's sturdy enough for international shipping.

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

I bought this version: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087SCCYF1/

Which is the Blu Ray in  their digipak style packaging (I know the Amazon entry says "Audio CD", but it's wrong.  I bought this, and it's the blu ray.)

Personally, I'd recommend spending $4 extra to get that version over the blue plastic one.

This is definitely what I want, but... it is in used condition.

The only other tempting option is this one from a German retailer, from whom I've ordered before, but it has a different bar code and it is a 2021 Taiwan Re-Release, so again, taking a chance on the digibook style, which I love.

2021 Taiwan Rerelease

Does that look like a big risk?

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The problem is that their "new" AI packaging system doesn't use packaging material that's sturdy enough for international shipping.

Hedji is in New York and I am in Massachusetts, so we'd have similar experiences ordering from Amazon US.

7 minutes ago, Hedji said:

This is definitely what I want, but... it is in used condition.

Oh wow you are right, I hadn't even noticed that!  Looks like that version went out of print very fast and is already increasing in price on the used market (when I pre-ordered it new from Amazon when it went up for sale, it was $35.98)

I guess in the US, they want you to buy the blue plastic version instead now?

7 minutes ago, Hedji said:

The only other tempting option is this one from a German retailer, from whom I've ordered before, but it has a different bar code and it is a 2021 Taiwan Re-Release, so again, taking a chance on the digibook style, which I love.

2021 Taiwan Rerelease

Does that look like a big risk?

I wouldn't risk that, I'd just buy it from Presto:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8862911--john-williams-live-in-vienna

You can get the 2CD Live Edition from there in the same order

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8872223--john-williams-live-in-vienna

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is the shipping from Presto Music too expensive?

It's very expensive, but this is the hobby we chose

I have never used that company before, so I cannot vouch for how good/bad they are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Amazon US remains the cheapest and safest place for a US resident to get any of these releases.  Of course if you don't want to support that company I completely understand

The Berlin Concert was my first time using Presto, and that worked out great.

Thanks Jay, for some reason, I could not find it at Presto, from whom I ordered the Berlin concert.  However, I can't be certain Presto listing is the gold digipak, and not the blu clamshell.  EDIT:  It is indeed the budget clamshell.  Same number as the Amazon listing, 735891.

And Jurassic Shark, thank you also for being helpful, but I'm looking for Vienna, not Berlin.  It does get confusing!

14 minutes ago, Hedji said:

Thanks Jay, for some reason, I could not find it at Presto, from whom I ordered the Berlin concert.  However, I can't be certain Presto listing is the gold digipak, and not the blu clamshell.  EDIT:  It is indeed the budget clamshell.  Same number as the Amazon listing, 735891.

Oh damn that sucks.  Sounds like the original digipak is OOP then and the blue plastic is all that remains.  Well, look at it this way: the discs (specifically the content on them) is what matters... the packaging is not as important.  The blue plastic one will still be a great addition to your collection!

Thanks so much for taking the time to assist.  I truly appreciate the help from everyone here. :)  Right now I’ve got two used ones I’m looking at. I contacted the Amazon seller to get some photos if possible.  Hopefully nobody buys it while I wait for a response. :lol:

I guess I got a little obsessive when I received the Berlin digibook… the presentation really is lovely, and I’d like to have the matching set for Vienna. 

2 minutes ago, Hedji said:

Thank you, yes, the discogs sellers would be perfect if I were in Europe, but I've reached out to one as a fallback.

I wondered if the postage would be prohibitive, but if you were considering Presto, one of those discogs sellers might work out. Good luck!

Received a used copy from eBay today.  Seller said it was "mint" packaging, but it's more used looking than described.  (I'm pretty anal when it comes to condition)  

Oh well, happy to have secured a copy.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Interesting. They had a photo session for it when he was in Vienna this March and kept it under wraps for two months just for May the 4th?

I like it.  It is sort of way of saying May the 4th is really about John Williams--the true force.  

DG knows that marketing Johnny to the SW fans is a smart way to capitalize on more sales of the next 5 tiered release.  It's savvy and sort of nice at the same time.

40 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Damn, for a second I thought the new album had been announced.

But now we know that DG AND Emil Berliner Studios were on site in March.

So it seems rather unlikely that DG will not be interested in those tapes or the results of the direct-to-disc project.

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

Let's hope this was also about signing off the release of JW Vienna 12./13. March 2022!

Unlikely, because that photo was *taken* on (or around) 12/13 March.

22 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Unlikely, because that photo was *taken* on (or around) 12/13 March.

I meant "signing off the intention for a release"...

Not enough! We also need releases for 2018's RAH concert, with volume correction, without volume correction, with and without applause and on DVD, CD/DVD, Blu-Ray/CD and vinyl (33 and 45 rpm).

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Don't be so modest, you're much better than John Williams*!

*the guitarist.

NC00OTcyLmpwZWc.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I didn't know Previn had written a guitar concerto.

And he also did a violin concerto.