John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

They'll have the 2nd concert to fix that for the bluray. And usually they'll even able to use rehearsal versions if they have to, to fix for some parts.

Modern live recordings are not "natural" since many years...

8 minutes ago, Biodome said:

And I second that the last concert was better from a musical standpoint. Much cleaner performances, no desync in E.T., no bad notes in Jurassic Park, etc. That additional time for practice clearly helps.

I agree.

And we saw you smiling from the balcony the whole time!

20 minutes ago, Martinland said:

That, my friend, is a thing of the past. *grinn*

My statement looks really foolish now, with what has transpired over this weekend. 😂 I swear, it's not normally like this - a Viennese subscription audience is notoriously hard to please. I'm incredibly glad that JW got all the love he deserves. 😀

27 minutes ago, Matthias said:

First Austrian review is out (in German):

https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000113486699/besuch-vom-lieben-gott

The reviewer was impressed by the JW fan community, saying it was "like God being welcomed by His earthly disciples" 😂

JessesMariaundJosef, des kamma ja net lesn.

I don't know what it is about this particular report, if it's the reporter's personal style or it simply being in German...but man, I felt embarrassed by it.

38 minutes ago, carlborg said:

Did anyone notice anything different with the ending to The Rebellion is Reborn? Or was it just me? Corresponding to ca.3:48 of the original OST track

Yes it was different.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes it was different.

A new different ending or mistake? I find it very hard to imagine that the Vienna Phil would screw up so badly

6 minutes ago, carlborg said:

A new different ending or mistake? I find it very hard to imagine that the Vienna Phil would screw up so badly

Just the rall seemed to be greater and more dramatic. Much more separated beats. I was surprised 

44 minutes ago, Kühni said:

JessesMariaundJosef, des kamma ja net lesn.

I don't know what it is about this particular report, if it's the reporter's personal style or it simply being in German...but man, I felt embarrassed by it.

Its really embarrassing, it shows that he is not use to writing these kind of film music reviews and has decided - in the most arrogant way possible - to step down from his throne, getting off his usual „traditional viennese concert“ review and do a review of „filmmusic“ just to show off and be able to mock it a bit...Ahhhhhhhh, terrible this viennese „we know what classical music is...you dont“ attitude  ..🤮🙄😤

19 minutes ago, carlborg said:

Why would you assume every musician would make the same mistake? Its not unusual for Williams to tinker with an arrangement for concert performance.

I would the shortening of Luke and Leia more jarring.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Why would you assume every musician would make the same mistake? Its not unusual for Williams to tinker with an arrangement for concert performance.

I would the shortening of Luke and Leia more jarring.

That's the very reason why I thought it might be a different ending.

11 minutes ago, Lao Che said:

Its really embarrassing, it shows that he is not use to writing these kind of film music reviews and has decided - in the most arrogant way possible - to step down from his throne, getting off his usual „traditional viennese concert“ review and do a review of „filmmusic“ just to show off and be able to mock it a bit...Ahhhhhhhh, terrible this viennese „we know what classical music is...you dont“ attitude  ..🤮🙄😤

The review is mildly condescending and not very substantive, but it is very positive and - to be honest - I would've expected much worse from Vienna's music critics. (and Mr. Ender has personally written much worse reviews himself) 

25 minutes ago, Lao Che said:

Well, that's the whole problem, he doesn't even bother to give you a proper review, not gonna waste his breath on film music, just a very superfluous look on the whole idea of a film music concert, a concept that conveys more of a fun factor that actual quality.. Mr. Ender gives you the feeling that this is something that should be left to the fans and doesn't really belong in a concert hall. I would have appreciated more of a real, down-to-earth analysis of the music and its interpretation(being a first for the VPO), than a poor and IMHO not really funny comparison to a sermon.. Believe me, as a violinist living in Vienna, I know and have to live with these critics every single day. But that's just me :)

Yeah, you're completely right about that. I feel for your suffering with critics like these. 😅

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

So… What did they really play at these concerts? Is there a comprehensive and accurate list?

Check out Biodome's reply a page before this

Back home I have to say: what a wonderful concert (Saturday), with some minor - I guess coordinative - mistakes (e. g. E.T.), but overall: unbelievable.

The critic is strange...

"Den Höhepunkt stellte wohl das Thema aus Sydney Pollacks Verfilmung von Sabrina dar."

"Sabrina" as the highlight of the concert...? Is he serious?

Here's another one:

https://www.diepresse.com/5754852/harry-potter-im-goldenen-saal

1 minute ago, alawill75 said:

Back home I have to say: what a wonderful concert (Saturday), with some minor - I guess coordinative - mistakes (e. g. E.T.), but overall: unbelievable.

The critic is strange...

"Den Höhepunkt stellte wohl das Thema aus Sydney Pollacks Verfilmung von Sabrina dar."

"Sabrina" as the highlight of the concert...? Is he serious?

It's a journalist without taste... That's not something new

19 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But he doesn't mention JFK.

You’re right. Meant Dartmoor, 1912. Apologies, my brain has yet to recover from the concert! 

he meant Sabrina being the highlight of the Mutter pieces. But yes, horrible writing. Not as bad though as the text on the website of the Musikverein, where Williams is compared to Mozart. 🙈

https://www.musikverein.at/magazin/2020/jaenner/der-alleskoenner

34 minutes ago, carlborg said:

And the ironic thing is that you could really see that the VPO musicians were truly enjoying themselves, and looked honoured to be performing JW's music under his direction (the principal flute bowing and gesturing towards JW as if passing all the praise back to the maestro after the solo from JFK, is a notable example which comes to mind). If the orchestra, musicians and the Gesellschaft have accepted him, why do the critics keep up this pretentious approach?

This is what I don't understand. The more and more that these sorts of concerts occur, I can only think that musicians are opening up to JW's music (or heck, have always been open to it but the people in charge of programming just never did it)—so when will the critics? It seems like most orchestral musicians still enjoy and love playing Romantic-style works (that's the sort of lush symphonic music that makes most people want to join an orchestra, to begin with), which JW's music fits right at home with in many ways. He is a logical continuation and addition to the tradition of masters such as Mahler, Strauss, Puccini, and Korngold.

The problem imo is that most critics seem to be firmly rooted in postmodernism, and are out of touch with most musicians and definitely out of touch with audiences...

Mixed emotions for me. Living in Korea and having had already crossed off "seeing Williams live" from my bucket list back in 1998 in London, it never occurred to me to attend. The idea only really came to me a few days ago when I saw tickets were available. But it was too late, and well, I had some 7 months ago purchased tickets to see Queen on their Bohemian Rhapsody tour in Seoul last night - Jan. 18. If given the choice, I would have preferred to have been in Vienna, but I have to admit I'm still on a high from seeing Queen perform. Sure Freddie wasn't there, but Brian May was and it felt like the real thing. The rock part of me is over the moon, but the Williams fan in me is thinking I missed my last chance to see Williams. Yeah, mixed emotions. But by golly the Queen show was amazing!

And I'm so happy for those that got to experience this. Back in 1998, I took every opportunity - 4 nights and one open rehearsal. it hardly seems real now, but I'm so glad others here just experienced something similiar.

25 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Just curious, has anyone seen any video/audio from "The Flight to Neverland" posted online (or did anyone here manage to snag any)? Eager to hear the VPO playing that one.

I have just a small bit from the 18th 

3 hours ago, tmarps said:

Just the rall seemed to be greater and more dramatic. Much more separated beats. I was surprised 

Just confirmed you’re right! @bollemanneke the ending they played corresponds to the signature edition...just a more extreme rall. which I for some reason found very jarring.

36 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I'd love to see/hear!

Sadly, I have used just audio recording and it seems that apple is now using much larger compression on them  (videos has much better audio quality) I think it sounded pretty good though, loved the tempo which was very close to the original and it had a nice flow....

Karlsplatz.m4a