John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

22 hours ago, rough cut said:

Every time this thread has a new post, and gets bumped, my heart literally skips a beat, for fear of it being because of that reason...

I'm following Vienna Phil on Facebook, and whenever they post something starting with "We regret to announce", I always get a mini heart attack.

15 hours ago, Biodome said:

I'm following Vienna Phil on Facebook, and whenever they post something starting with "We regret to announce", I always get a mini heart attack.

Williams is fine. It was only Mariss Jansons. :unsure:

Although I do think it's a petty they got rid of both (alternatively) Olympic Fanfare and Sound the Bells. Would have been nice to have at least one bit of non-film based Williams represented.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Label change? I haven't been following this thread for a while...

The new label is "Dirk Brossè Conducts The Music Of John Williams".

I'm sorry, couldn't resist.

In all fairness to Weinstein, he has checked himself into a Hans-addiction recovery program.  Reportedly, he knows his behavior is harmful and disgusting and wants to be free of it.  

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It will be this!

Hans-Zimmer-Live-on-Tour-2016-1024x551.jpg

Must be a pretty narrow definition of "era." How do you even define such a vague statement? Are they referring to profits made by their companies? Grosses for films they scored?

Last time I checked, Williams scored the 4th and 13th highest grossing films of all time, while Zimmer scored the 7th and 29th highest. Hell, Horner and Silvestri beat them both on those measurements with 2nd/3rd and 1st/5th respectively. 

And if one defines "success" by their proliferation of mass produced library music robbing legitimate composers of work by undercutting any hope they have of obtaining work, it's hardly something to gloat about. 

Yup!

In:

”Theme” from Sabrina

”Devil’s Dance” from Witches Of Eastwick

Out:

”Olympic Fanfare and Theme”

”Remembrances” from Schindler’s List

”Donnybrook Fair“ from Far and Away

...as has been noted before.

The changes are, as they were the last time, win-some-lose-some... : /

Skeptical of the new changes to the Vienna program
Sabrina is nice, but too light for the occasion.
Remembrances may be a bit painful, but the Olympic Fanfare and Theme was essential.

What I particularly like about this program is the fact that none of the themes from 'A John Williams Celebration' blu-ray are repeated. And this will be filmed and probably also released on blu-ray. Thanks to this, we may get another unique concert for souvenir. :)

But of course Williams could just conduct two 50-minutes long suites from 'Images' and 'Sleepers', with an encore from 'Presumed Innocent', and I would be happy anyway. :)

1 hour ago, Pawel P. said:

But of course Williams could just conduct two 50-minutes long suites from 'Images'

I'd sell my soul to hear Williams conduct a live performance of Images.

1 hour ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Since the previous concert of the VPO seems to be Gergiev conducting Tchaikovsky and Rimsky-Korsakov (12.01.2020) , does it mean that the orchestra will have a whole work week to practice Williams's music?

They're also playing that concert on the 14th. Some of them are playing a chamber concert 4.5 hours before the Williams concert on Saturday. And there's Wagner's Lohengrin (also with Gergiev) and a Tchaikovsky ballet at the State Opera on Thursday and Friday.