John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

8 hours ago, Biodome said:

Oh, I've been having nightmares, actually. Dreamt that I woke up in my apartment, realized that I had overslept, and that the concert had already begun. I was running through the streets of Vienna, trying to find the Musikverein, while naturally Holiday Flight was playing the whole time.

I've had the same dream three times in the past few weeks: The concert was about to start in a few minutes, I was still at home and couldn't find my tickets. Haven't had that dream since the New Year though, fortunately.

8 hours ago, heidl said:

I'm probably gonna be crying through the whole concert...

Fixed.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What's the Muzikverein's policy on camera's inside the hall?

Not sure. Obviously using them during the performance is forbidden. I've never seen anybody mind people taking the occasional smartphone photo of the applause. I intend to bring my DSLR and make a few quick photos of Williams then, and hope that nobody will complain. Thing is, there's a strict policy of having to leave all coats and bags at the coat check before the concert. Women can keep their handbags, but men usually aren't allowed to keep any kind of bag in my experience. So you'll probably need a woman to take the camera into the hall if you can't fit it in your pocket.

It's so close I can almost taste it. To think that this next time last week I wasn't going (had hoped that London might reappear) and now I am going to experience a weekend of John Williams live in person for the first time. Wow. My bank balance may have taken an unexpected hit, but in the end I couldn't let the maestro pay a visit to Europe and not be there.

Any chance to get a autograph of John? I remember in Boston he was willing to give autographs when he came out. I don’t know how it works here. But I think the chances are low😅!

5 minutes ago, JTGL said:

Any chance to get a autograph of John? I remember in Boston he was willing to give autographs when he came out. I don’t know how it works here. But I think the chances are low😅!

Was wondering that myself! If it's the case that autographs are allowed, what are you guys bringing to get signed?

If this Vienna thing goes off without a hitch, does anyone think JW might set his sights on more European conducting appearances in the next few years? I live in the US so it's not like it affects me one way or the other, but I'm just curious if anyone else could see it happening?

On the one hand this Vienna appearance seems like a bucket list sort of event. But then again, if he has a great time over there and comes back safe and sound, I wonder if he might be coaxed to go conduct others (Berlin Philharmonic, Czech Philharmonic, Royal Concertgebouw?).

22 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

If this Vienna thing goes off without a hitch, does anyone think JW might set his sights on more European conducting appearances in the next few years?

I bloody hope so! Especially with his slate cleared! Getting to Vienna safely should give him some confidence about international air travel, if he takes the correct precautions with his health. It's a long way to go just for two performances!

Hi, folks! I just stumbled across this forum while searching for extended versions of the SW prequel soundtracks in anticipation of Saturday's concert. The pictures you've posted have raised my hype level through the roof! I hope we will all have a wonderful time! (I'll be squinting my eyes from the gallery ;))

When the Vienna Philharmonic play "normal" concerts in Vienna, they don't usually do encores. However, this is far from a "normal" concert and there also is a soloist involved, so I figure our chances at getting encores are pretty good.

Best wishes from Austria,

Matthias

PS: Are we going to give John a standing O when he comes out or will we wait till the end? (standing ovations are fairly rare in Vienna)

My personal opinion is that this was on his bucket list and it will be the last time he will be conducting an orchestra in Europe. Of course, I will be more than happy to be proven wrong!

That picture with Williams sitting on the stage of Musikverein got me super excited as well. They are going to be two very special concerts, for us but also for the maestro as well.

Let's give the man the standing ovation he deserves!!!

5 hours ago, Matthias said:

PS: Are we going to give John a standing O when he comes out or will we wait till the end? (standing ovations are fairly rare in Vienna)

I'll probably be standing during the beginning, too. It feels appropriate to thank him for coming all the way to Europe.

Flying in 1 hour! See you all there at the concert of a lifetime. I’ve been looking forward to this for 27 years....now it feels all too sudden😱

Standing, no matter what, at the applause. Standing when he’s getting on stage might feel awkward as you’re probably the only one.

Not sleeping much these days because of this, haha. I'm flying out tomorrow morning, my body is ready. Unreal.

What's good timing to pick up the ticket from the box office, an hour or so before the concert, or is that too soon? Also, any more confirmations of the concert being video recorded? I'm sure it will be audio recorded, as Anne-Sophie confirmed that.

13 hours ago, Martinland said:

Nice. By the way: Are we going to meet at Gmoakeller afterwards, St0rMl0rD? Or are you at Falco's? ;)

I already have plans, but if you see me at the concert, please bump me, would love to meet you!

23 minutes ago, josefsuma said:

Well, it is pretty foggy weather out there: https://viennaairport.panomax.com/

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its incredibly foggy.

I literally couldn't see the ground until 20 seconds before landing.

IMG_20200117_091038.jpg

Oh yeah, and its cold!

Ach! Weather? Schmeather!

Last Monday, where I live, we had 101mph winds. That's one hundred and one fucking miles per hour! That's weather!

17 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ach! Weather? Schmeather!

Last Monday, where I live, we had 101mph winds. That's one hundred and one fucking miles per hour! That's weather!

You don't live in Europe though.

I just received an email from the airline saying that our flight is delayed. All other information systems still list it as "on schedule".

I wonder if they're about to let us board and then sit on the tarmac for two hours. 

46 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Or perpahs your flights will be delayed until over the weekend. :P

Dude, every single flight I've taken in the last year has had issues - cancelled, delayed, mistook luggage...THIS one HAS to go perfectly well.