John Williams & the Vienna Philharmonic: January 18/19 2020

Ricard

6 minutes ago, handz said:

You mean this part? It almost killed me - but it was for me the only “big thing” otherwise it was just great. Brass was powerful and quite tight. I hope that tomorrow everything is going to be perfect. Anyway, It was a historical moment and absolutely stunning experience

John Williams- a true professional- doesn’t miss a beat when he realises cellos are out of time and turns to politely make sure they are still with the beat. A true talent with an amazing focus. Unbelievable for his age. Incredible 

yes, by all means, let’s make this forum bilingual. ✊🏻🙃

but yeah, one of the camera operator told someone there’s going to be a bluray dvd release. So I’ve read in the German Facebook group.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I thought the arrangements worked wonderfully and were some of the highlights of the concert. But a diva? Mutter was perfectly humble and absolutely refused Williams's continuous prompts for her to step forward to claim her applause, to the point where I think he even got slightly annoyed with her. But she absolutely made a point of never stepping closer to the audience than Williams was so the applause would be his

Sorry I could’ve been a bit more nuanced - what I actually mean that, after getting over the initial excitement of these arrangements, to me there’s isn’t really a point to the violin/orchestra interplay and they’re just created to provide a virtuoso/soloistic vehicle for Mutter, requested by herself. I didn’t notice her behaviour on stage by the way.

8 hours ago, lemoncurd said:

yes, by all means, let’s make this forum bilingual. ✊🏻🙃

but yeah, one of the camera operator told someone there’s going to be a bluray dvd release. So I’ve read in the German Facebook group.

Mich habe die Info auch von einem Kameramann. Standest du auch ganz hinten? 

3 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Well, to be fair that's why a lot of classical concertos/transcriptions exist—to serve as showpieces for a particular soloist who the composer had some relationship with. 😛

Sure, but in this case it isn’t weird to prefer the originals.

Oh, of course. I don't disagree whatsoever. Though I might—might—prefer the violin arrangement of SABRINA, and I definitely prefer the arrangement of CINDERELLA LIBERTY. As for the others, I do tend to prefer the originals.

I admit I wasn't expecting anything less than effusive praise about the quality of the playing, and I'm surprised to hear it isn't always so transcendent. But I guess, even at that level, getting a flawless performance takes a lot of work and shouldn't be taken for granted. 

At any rates most of us are here to see Williams. Less than 2 hours now :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

P.S. The one thing I still cannot wrap my head around is that Williams conducted for over 2,5 hours yesterday, all standing. At the age of 88!  And he did it with so much energy as if he was middle-aged again. 

Yeah, that. As long as it doesn't go the "Basil Poledouris in 2006 route". (I know, that's incredibly morbit, but still...) :blush:

What bizarre 24 hours it's been. While hosting our own John Williams concert here in Oslo last night, I've been scrolling through social media feeds and following this board for updates on the concert featuring the man himself. Some pics and brief video snippets so far; I'm hoping to see many more in the days and weeks to come. And please also post something about the social gatherings when you get the chance. It seems like basically everyone I know on messageboards and on social media have been to this concert, many of whom don't know each other.

12 minutes ago, hornist said:

The second one was even better if possible. John is in so good condition, that I hope he will do this again. I will definitely be there, so wonderful!! 

When he conducts he is very vital but otherwise - he really is not a youngster, It must have been extremely hard for him to travel to Europe and have two concerts in a row here.

Seeing him conducting Star Wars and Indiana Jones themes from first row was a experience of a lifetime, magical🙏

15 minutes ago, rp75012 said:

I'm generally picky with european orchestra when it comes to performance of John Williams's music, but the VSO surpassed all the other orchestras in the world.

As soon as the brass came in, I was literally shocked. What a powerful sound the french horns had :lovethis:

You mean VPO (Vienna Philharmonic). ;) The VSO (Vienna Symphony Orchestra) was apparently performing in Paris yesterday. Anyway, just thought I should clear that up – I‘m glad that you enjoyed it! :)

So happy to hear the second concert was great as well. I’m still in awe from yesterday. What maybe impressed me the most is the fact that you can truly feel from his energy on the podium that there is no ego at all. Just the music. Yet at the same time he’s able to pull off an immediate and genuine standing ovation the very moment he walks on stage......

That is truly exceptional, and a treasured memory for me personally.